Sign in to follow this  
mavven

Clutch Replacement On A 1994 2.5 5spd

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, Well I have owned my 626 for almost a year now, and have encountered my first major fix on the car (car has 158,000 on it) the clutch is shot. I broke down early this morning (well really started yesterday during the snow storm here on the east coast) but today it gave out on me, I was stuck in 1st and the clutch pedal would not lift back up car died, tried to start her again would not go and also would not get out of gear.

Had the car towed this afternoon to my mechanic, I thought it might have just been the slave cylinder (previous owner said he changed it a few years ago) but I just got off the phone with my mechanic and he is pretty sure that the clutch is shot. Now here is where I need fellow members/owners to help me out, he said I definitely need a new lower slave cylinder and a new clutch, he also said he will not know till he opens everything up if I also need a new fork ( I know a bit about cars but I am not super savvy so please be patient with me) not sure what the fork does.

I am on a very tight budget, so I stated to my mechanic I will buy the parts on line because I know I can get them cheaper, and this is where I need to know if he is ripping me off or if this is a fair price. He quoted me $600 or so for labor (I will supply the parts) He said this is not a 123 quick job, he stated that this is pretty much a full days work, is this true? and if so, does the price he quoted me seem fair? I would love to hear from fellow owners who have had there entire clutch replaced by a mechanic or who have a general idea what this job should "fairly" cost.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your input.

Edit: When mechanic stated I needed a lower slave cylinder I started doing searches, they do not say lower slave cylinder. Does he mean the upper is the "MASTER CYLINDER" and the lower is just called a slave cylinder? Because he said the upper cylinder looks new (that must be what the original owner said he replaced) and the lower is shot. So is the upper called the master cylinder?

Edit #2: Sorry fellas I need as much help as I can get. I have located the clutch kit I will be buying. Exedy kit from ebay for $103.00 Now I am not sure where I should pick up this slave cylinder? And he said I may need the clutch fork, which I might as well order, only problem is when I type in clutch fork on the auto websites nothing is coming up, should I be typing a different name for clutch fork?

Should cost about $300 - $400 in labor for a clutch + slave cylinder. You can get a clutch for $125 online, and a slave cyl. for like $30.

Snailman, thank you for your response, but can you please elaborate. Where are you getting the $300-$400 Labor cost? Have you had the work done from a mechanic? And if so is this what you were charged. Sorry if I am being anal about this but I want to make sure before I walk in to my mechanics shop and tell him he is charging me double what he should be for labor.

Should cost about $300 - $400 in labor for a clutch + slave cylinder. You can get a clutch for $125 online, and a slave cyl. for like $30.

Snailman, thank you for your response, but can you please elaborate. Where are you getting the $300-$400 Labor cost? Have you had the work done from a mechanic? And if so is this what you were charged. Sorry if I am being anal about this but I want to make sure before I walk in to my mechanics shop and tell him he is charging me double what he should be for labor.

No, I've done the job myself. I also know the going rate for a clutch job, people I know have had them done on other similar cars.

The gearbox comes off....so disconnect 1 axle, unhook the shift linkage, disconnect 2 or 3 harnesses, unbolt three motor mounts, the clutch slave cylinder unbolts, and remove the bolts holding it to the engine. With that done, the gearbox slides off, and you have access to the clutch.

No, I've done the job myself. I also know the going rate for a clutch job, people I know have had them done on other similar cars.

The gearbox comes off....so disconnect 1 axle, unhook the shift linkage, disconnect 2 or 3 harnesses, unbolt three motor mounts, the clutch slave cylinder unbolts, and remove the bolts holding it to the engine. With that done, the gearbox slides off, and you have access to the clutch.

Snailman, thank you so much. Can you please answer my questions in the part of my post that say EDIT and EDIT #2 I would greatly appreciate it. Once I have the slave cylinder question and the clutch fork question answered, I can go ahead and order them.

Snailman, thank you so much. Can you please answer my questions in the part of my post that say EDIT and EDIT #2 I would greatly appreciate it. Once I have the slave cylinder question and the clutch fork question answered, I can go ahead and order them.

The release fork rarely needs to be replaced...they aren't a high-wear item or anything, but they can be damaged if your clutch shattered.

The slave cylinder is the one bolted to the gearbox; the master cylinder is the one bolted to the firewall, and is the one connected to the clutch pedal. When you push the clutch pedal, it pushes a piston inside the master cylinder, which forces hydraulic fluid to flow to the slave cylinder. The fluid pushes the piston inside the slave cylinder, which in turn extends the clutch release fork. The fork is a simple lever that exerts pressure on the release bearing, which sits on the clutch pressure plate.

When you apply pressure here, the clutch pressure plate retracts a tiny bit, allowing the clutch to slip (and you to change gears).

If you really need a release fork, you'll probably have to get it at the dealer or at a junkyard.