Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

F Series started in the Gen 2 626 from 1983 when the 626 went from RWD to FWD. Previous 626 was the MA parts are not interchangeable.

Other Cars to get the F Series are as followed:

- Mazda B2000

- Mazda B2200

- Mazda E2000

- Mazda E2200

- Mazda Bongo Van (1983 onwards???)

Variants of the F Series (Different Types)

F6 1.6lt OHC 8v

was dropped in 89

F6. 1.6 litre, more common in GC run, though GD body shells (esp. 87) were known to have them. Other name is B6A (ONLY through GC run)....... yes early version of B6.

Was available in 8 valve carby and 12 valve carby...... the rarest one of ALL is 12 valve EFI. First time ive seen one that was in CapellaGTS' car..... Came across another one here.

Essentially these engines are only good enough for paperweight or some parts for FE/F2/F8.

F6 specs:

Power: 73 ps (53.69 kW) / 5500 rpm

Torque: 12.4 kg*m (121.60 N*m) / 3500 rpm

Compression: 8,6

Bore x Stroke: 81 x 77

F8 1.8lt SOHC 8v /DOHC 16v

run through GC and GD (GV-GDII)

F8 SOHC specs:

Power: 82 ps @ 5500 rpm

Torque: 13.6 kg*m @ 2500 rpm

Bore x Stroke: 86 x 77

F8 DOHC specs:

Power: 115 ps @ 6,000 rpm

Torque: 16.0 kg*m @ 5,000 rpm

Bore x Stroke: 86 x 77

F2 2.2lt OHC 12valve- F2/T 2.2lt OHC 12valve Turbo

run only though GD(well and GVII through GE run)

This engine came in a turbo version, the first intercooled F series engine stock and has the F2T gearbox stronger type compared to the standard non turbo F2. Forged internals to handle the extra hp. uses the same block primarily as the FE engine though it has been stroked to 2.2lt.

F2 specs:

Power: 110hp @ 4,700 rpm

Torque: 130nm @ 3,000 rpm

Compression: 8.6:1

Bore x Stroke: 86mm x 94mm

F2/T specs:

Power: 145hp @ 4,300 rpm

Torque: 190 nm @ 3,500 rpm

Compression: 7.8:1

FE EFI/Carby 2.0lt OHC 8v - FE/T 2.0lt OHC 8v Turbo

run though GC and GD (GV-GDII)

FE EFI specs:

Power: 93 @ 5,000 rpm

Torque: 115 ft/lb @ 2,500 rpm

Bore x Stroke: 86mm x 86mm

FE/T specs:

Power: 120hp @ 5,000 rpm

Torque: 150ft/lb @ 3,000 rpm

Compression: 7.6:1

FE Carby specs:

Power: 83hp @ 4,800 rpm

Torque: 110ft/lb @ 2,500 rpm

FE 12 Valve / EFI/Carby 2.0lt SOHC 12v

yes, the FE engine did come 12v stock once upon a time there was a Carby and EFI type though it is very rare to find such an engine in a car stock.

FE 12 Valve Carby specs:

Power: 85hp @ 4,800 rpm

Torque: 118ft/lb @ 2,500 rpm

FE 12 Valve Carby specs:

Power: 85hp @ 4,800 rpm

Torque: 118ft/lb @ 2,500 rpm

FE DOHC - DOHC 16v

The engine first came out in 1988.

There are 3 types of FE-DOHCs out there.

Japan got FE-ZE

SE Asia Got FE-DOHC and FE-ZE.

NZ got FE-DOHC

Europe got Leaded and Unleaded FE-DOHC

Unleaded FE-DOHC is the same as FE-DOHC from SE Asia and NZ same as FE-DOHC in KIA sportage..... All are 9.2 comp

Leaded FE-DOHC is Europe only, ether with FE3N cams or FE5A cams..... There is another set of cams I can't remember.....

FE-ZE was mainly jap release, its 10.0 Comp, has FEAP cams and usually has FENJ ecu

FE DOHC 16v specs:

Power: 150ps @ 6,500 rpm

Torque: 18.8kg-m @ 4,500 rpm

Compression: 10:1

Interchangble Parts Between F Series Motor's

F2 Parts on a FE

: Head

: Head Gasket

: Water Pump

So the FE parts would fit onto the F2 Block but are considered as a down grade some what in my opinion.

FE DOHC parts on a FE/F2

: Head <-- THIS WILL NOT FIT. The oil passages don

Edited by 1984-Mazda-626
  • Like 1

Hey 84,

Can you give me the combustion chamber volume for the FE and the F2 head? Also crushed head gasket thicknesses for both. I'm not being an ass this time, I just wanted to see if you know as this could greatly help me with my 12 valve head conversion as I posted before.

thanks

• Like 1

Are there any other carbs, that could be used on Fe SOCH carby? Besides the original one.

• Like 1

weber sells kits in the US. they come with adapter plates etc. but you have to rejet them for ur perticular car

just getting some info. But I still love my car. My Rachel :biggrin:

Please allow me too point out a few typos and faulty info

F6 specs:

Power: 73 ps (53.69 kW) / 5500 rpm

Torque: 12.4 kg*m (121.60 N*m) / 3500 rpm

Compression: 9.3

Bore x Stroke: 78 x 83.6

Wrong

Bore x Stroke: 81 x 77

Numbers from GC Owners manual.

F8 SOHC specs:

Power: 82 ps @ 5500 rpm

Torque: 13.6 kg*m @ 2500 rpm

Compression: XX

Bore x Stroke: XX

Bore and Stroke: 86 x 77

Numbers from GD owners manual

F8 DOHC specs:

Power: 115 ps @ 6,000 rpm

Torque: 16.0 kg*m @ 5,000 rpm

Compression: XX

Bore x Stroke: XX

Bore and stroke 86 x 77 Numbers got from using common sense

Explanation: Mazda would not make bore and stroke different than the SOHC since it cheaper and simpler too use the crank from the SOHC wich also are used in the F6.

Pistons used in the F8 SOCH are the same as in the 10:1 FE SOHC EFI with 120 hp we europeans got in the 87 626 GC and the 84-86 929.

Pistons in the F8 DOCH are the same as the in the 10:1 FE DOCH (less swept volume gives less CR)

There are some typos in the section describing the FE 12V SOCH and FE DOCH variations.

Stroke are stated too be 94mm in all of them. it should be 86mm.

Unleaded FE-DOHC is the same as FE-DOHC from SE Asia and NZ same as FE-DOHC in KIA sportage..... All are 9.2 comp

Actually, in 88, Mazda used 9,2 comp only for the unleaded engines sold too the few countries that still didnt have unleaded 98 octane easyli awiable.

In 89-90 unleaded 98 octane became more usual and Mazda went back too 10:1.

I do actually have a new shortblock for an unleaded car with 10:1 pistons.

well thank you very much.. thanks for pointing out the faults in my topic.

all that information is what i have found and from hands on knowlege.

So the F2 head will go on to the 1986 2.0 liter FE SOHC turbo, just to make sure, and does everything line up, because i want to change my center point throttle body injection to multipoint.

I would like to add about the brakes:

Two rear brake systems were availible- one being the drum system stated previously, and the other being discs.

The handbrake for the disc system is a strange one, in that it uses the actual brake pads and disc (actuated by a cable), rather than a miniature drum in the middle of the disc (as is the case on most cars with rear discs).

Because of this arrangement, it is imperative that the handbrake not be overtightened, as handbrake drag is real rear brake drag. Normal cars with mini drums/disc combination at the rear may be tightened more, as the handbrake in these does not have the potential to cause large brake drag. Found out by experience- nasty noises from the rear.

al.

Is this on all the rear disc brakes or on certain models, because i have an 86 TX5 Turbo with 4 wheel disc and i usually apply the hand brake pretty firmly.

Yes, all that came out with 4 wheel discs had this handbrake arrangement. There is nothing wrong with applying the handbrake firmly.

It is the same system as the EA-EB series Ford Falcons in Australia have, they use a cable to apply the hydraulic calipers to grab the disc when the handbrake is applied - makes for rather a powerful handbrake when applied firmly, but it must not be over-tightened, as in, when adjusting using the screw at the lever.

As a rule when adjusting, go for at least 7 - 10 clicks of the ratchet on the brake (but remember to depress the button every time you apply the handbrake when you aren't 'testing' it, or else it makes an awful noise and wears the ratchet out).

al.

FE DOHC 16v specs:

Power: 150ps @ 6,500 rpm

Torque: 18.8kg-m @ 4,500 rpm

Compression: 10:1

Stock FE-DOHC is 86mm bore, 86mm stroke

FE Carby specs:

Power: 83hp @ 4,800 rpm

Torque: 110ft/lb @ 2,500 rpm

There's also FE I4 engine with 2-barrel-carburator in some european models. For example all GC 626s exported to Finland with 2.0L engine is that version. I guess it's just same that used in some 929s.

Power: 101hp

Torque:156Nm

• Like 1

All the carburetted ones had twin barrels. What is the difference between your FE and my FE? According to my research, the FE was fitted to early 929's with the same power specs as normal, 83hp.

Let me know, I am curious :smile:

al :smile:

EDIT: I have found where you got that from: Wikipedia. I do not know why they have classified that they have different carburettors- to the best of my knowledge, there was only one type, the Nikki twin barrel downdraught carby. On the RX7's they use a quad barrel downdraught made by Nikki. I would love to see a photo of this 'twin' barrel carby if it exists, because I want one :biggrin:

I don't know where all these different specs come from, but you can start from this page. It's in finnish but I suppose you can understand that table at bottom...

Teho hv=Power

kk=Carburator

It actually says 102hp...

Hmmm. This is very interesting, I have seen this figure brandied about all over the place. I find it a little tricky to comprehend, because even the fuel injected model only has 93hp. Would it be possible to photograph your carburettor and engine bay??

Well, this is the same carby that they all have- a Nikki twin barrel, either manual or automatic choke. Yours is manual choke. The carburettor is controlled by a primitive engine management system (namely this system switches in a solenoid when the rev's are below 2300rpm so that the engine can idle without using the main carburettor jet).

The figure quoted in your book is 102hp at 5600rpm whereas all other figures I have seen quote the power as 83hp at 4800 rpm. The only way to really know if these figures belong to the same engine would be to see a dyno curve of a brand new engine.

The only way to achieve more power using the same carburettor is to have a different exhaust system (yours is standard) or have a different grind cam. I am not sure, but I do not think that Mazda had another cam for these engines (someone correct me :smile: ).

Anyway, if anyone has dyno'd their car (in a standard condition) PLEASE PLEASE post up your curves, because I'd love to see if the max HP is really achieved after 4800rpm!

Yeah like I said, this is the same engine and the same carburettor. Different cam? Anyway, I want to see a dyno of one that has a claimed 83hp at 4800rpm and one that has a claimed 102hp at 5600rpm. I bet they are the same. If they are not, then there is a different cam.

Anyone got ideas- Anyone dyno'd?

A couple more corrections here that have not already been pointed out

The F2t was not the first intercooled engine, the FE-T came in "magnum" form for the JDM with an intercooler.....I own one!

The Water pumps on an FE are not all interchangeable with the F2. FE SOHC blocks built before the GD had a different water pump, FE SOHC blocks built at the same time of after the GD had interchangeable water pumps....The same applies to the oil pumps. SOHC engines fitted to a GD chassis had a different Right side engine mount arrangement to the GC which requires slightly different water pump position.

This also applies to RWD SOHC engines in terms of year they were produced.

Gearbox swaps, the only difference between the FE SOHC boxes in GCs and the FE-T box is that the clutch is Hydraulic, their strength is identical. Gearbox ratios are slightly different between F6/F8 and FE, FE-T uses the same ratios as a carb FE.

Plus F6 heads use small ports (at least on the 8v version) so you cant really use the head on a bigger engine....I had one of these I picked up as a cheap temporary engine....and yes it was pretty much a boat anchor

Other than that good write up

Hmm, I seem to have an FE/T with MPFI. Anyone ever encountered that before? It's an 87 coupe, I don't know if there are any differences between American and Canadian models. My 86 Turbo 5 door is the same.