Hi guyz/gurlz, I have finally figured out the fix for the "constant fan" problem we've been having with the KL31 ecu. As you know the KL31 ecu came with the mtx ZE and the KL36 ecu with the atx. My ZE has two temp. sensors, but my usdm harness only has one plug. Well, luckily my ZE came with the section of the harness that has both plugs for the sensors, and for some time I tried figuring out where on the KL31 ecu I needed to hook up this second sensor to get things working right. Well, I came across a post which gave the location and function of every pin on the 94 usdm ecu, and with the use of the Haynes manual I found out the 93 KL03 also came with two temp. sensors much like the ZE. So, I decided to hook up the second temp. sensor on the ZE like that of the 93 KL03. Now to do this I had to add a pin connector to the middle plug of the ecu. ( I hope I havn't lost you all) You see, the ecu has three plugs, the center plug is the one in concern. If you take a good look at it you will notice there is an empty spot on the top row. It's the fith spot from the left. Well, I got a pin conector from an old harness, inserted it into the spot, ran a separate wire from it and connected it to the pink/blue wire of the second temp. sensor. The black/blue wire of the sensor is a ground, so I spliced it with the black/blue wire of the first sensor that was already in use, then reseted the ecu and "voila" no more "constant fans"

I am pretty sure someone knew that and has done it, but I searched high and low in here for a year and found no write up on it..maybe I searched wrong... Well guys, I couldn't be more ecstatic and decided to share the news with you all. BTW, if your ZE didn't come with the plug for the second sensor, get it off a 93 KL03.

PS. I don't care what some people say, but this prob. chip does not do the ZE justice. I know, I ran on the chip for a year+.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guyz/gurlz, I have finally figured out the fix for the "constant fan" problem we've been having with the KL31 ecu. As you know the KL31 ecu came with the mtx ZE and the KL36 ecu with the atx. My ZE has two temp. sensors, but my usdm harness only has one plug. Well, luckily my ZE came with the section of the harness that has both plugs for the sensors, and for some time I tried figuring out where on the KL31 ecu I needed to hook up this second sensor to get things working right. Well, I came across a post which gave the location and function of every pin on the 94 usdm ecu, and with the use of the Haynes manual I found out the 93 KL03 also came with two temp. sensors much like the ZE. So, I decided to hook up the second temp. sensor on the ZE like that of the 93 KL03. Now to do this I had to add a pin connector to the middle plug of the ecu. ( I hope I havn't lost you all) You see, the ecu has three plugs, the center plug is the one in concern. If you take a good look at it you will notice there is an empty spot on the top row. It's the fith spot from the left. Well, I got a pin conector from an old harness, inserted it into the spot, ran a separate wire from it and connected it to the pink/blue wire of the second temp. sensor. The black/blue wire of the sensor is a ground, so I spliced it with the black/blue wire of the first sensor that was already in use, then reseted the ecu and "voila" no more "constant fans"

I am pretty sure someone knew that and has done it, but I searched high and low in here for a year and found no write up on it..maybe I searched wrong... Well guys, I couldn't be more ecstatic and decided to share the news with you all. BTW, if your ZE didn't come with the plug for the second sensor, get it off a 93 KL03.

PS. I don't care what some people say, but this prob. chip does not do the ZE justice. I know, I ran on the chip for a year+.

that interesting info. i have a few questions regarding the install.

1) are you using a stock KL31ECU or a KLDE ECU with a ZE EPROM?

2) if you are using a KL31 ECU will this mod work if i stick a KL31 EPROM in a KLDE ECU

(i know just changing the EPROM and the VAF in the KLDE ECU the car runs with the fans on but im not sure if the ZE ECU is wired differently internally to that connection you speak of). cheers heaps, good find.

also do you know what happens if you hook the wire up, leave it there and use a DE ECU (is there any negative effects?)

Question #1... Yes I am using a stock KL31ECU

Question #2... I havn't the slightest idea if this mod will work; A KL31ECU is very expensive, I wouldn't

want to take a screw off of it far less take an eprom off.

Question # also(lol)... presumably you're talking about hooking the wire up to the ECU plug. Well nothing

would happen. This wire carries a signal to the ECU and not from the ECU, so

since the other end of the wire is not hooked up to a sensor the effect is pretty

much like not having a wire at all.

Comment.... "changing eprom and VAF in the KLDE ecu"..If you get an eprom for the KLDE ecu you don't

need to change the VAF, the fans should work fine.

cheers for the answers ill give it a go when i get the chance.

im talking about putting a stock KL31 EPROM into a KLDE ECU so i will need the JE50 and to hook the wire up, im planning on tuning it myself with my emulator so maybe at a later date ill change back to the stock ECU i just want to see how the KL31 ECU feels compared to the one i have made which is basically the same from a stock DE ECU. once again cheers.

Wow. That's some nice info. I never thought of that. I just have the right chip. To answer the question of the eeprom, you'll have the same problem with the fans. I might have to consider stickying this if you can get some pics

why will i have the same problem? wouldnt there be an additional input on the DE ECU thats just not used? ill pull my ECU apart on the weekend and see if the connector is wired internally to anything, if it is ill try hooking up the wire and see if it works.

im talking about putting a stock KL31 EPROM into a KLDE ECU so i will need the JE50 and to hook the wire up, im planning on tuning it myself with my emulator so maybe at a later date ill change back to the stock ECU i just want to see how the KL31 ECU feels compared to the one i have made which is basically the same from a stock DE ECU. once again cheers.

dude, what's up with the "cheers" thingy. (lol) Anyways, if you go KL31 you will not want to come back to the chip, trust me. Let us know how your set up works out.

dude, what's up with the "cheers" thingy. (lol) Anyways, if you go KL31 you will not want to come back to the chip, trust me. Let us know how your set up works out.

Cheers is just something we say in Australia, i dont think you understand what i mean, i have an emulator where i can change whats in my DE ECU's EPROM to the SAME thing as whats in a KL31 but i want to know if the added ECTS wire will still work. what im asking is if the ECU will read that input if i have a KL31 chip or modified equiv in my DE ECU.

ok i pulled my KL59C ECU apart and it looks like the pin goes nowhere (tracks to go a point where there is no resistor fitted) it also goes elsewhere but the fast the resistor is missing leads me to believe its not connected to anything elsewhere and so i didnt back track it anymore.

could someone please show me the inside of a KL31 ECU, or if you know where there are pics located link me? i would like to see how the KL31 differs (no im not planning on adding the resistors and hoping it will work) its just out of curiosity. thanks.

• 4 months later...

What are you celebrating about??

• 1 month later...
ok i pulled my KL59C ECU apart and it looks like the pin goes nowhere (tracks to go a point where there is no resistor fitted) it also goes elsewhere but the fast the resistor is missing leads me to believe its not connected to anything elsewhere and so i didnt back track it anymore.

could someone please show me the inside of a KL31 ECU, or if you know where there are pics located link me? i would like to see how the KL31 differs (no im not planning on adding the resistors and hoping it will work) its just out of curiosity. thanks.

If it's still relevant - I'm awaiting delivery on my KL31 so I'll sort you some pics if/when it gets here - been a few weeks now though, coming all the way from New Zealand to England.