Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
langleypete

Ignition Timing

My 97 v6 pings like mad on low power hill climb. I tried to set the timing, which a timing light shows as 14 deg btdc, but no matter which way I rotate the distributor, the timing mark stays at 14 deg btdc. I have jumpered from ground to pin 10 in the data link connector as directed in the Haynes manual, and idle is at about 650 rpm. Anyone know what I'm missing here?!!!

Is there a vacuum advance? If there is, you need to disable that by pulling off the hose and blocking it before you set timing. Could be your advance mechanism is stuck but seems to me the timing should still change when you rotate the disty. Suggest you take cover off disty and peer inside. Figure out exactly which way to turn it so you retard timing then investigate what's going on with the triggering coils.

There's no vacuum advance. Shorting the ten and gnd pins should be all that needs doing, to put the car in diagnostic mode. I can't understand why it's not working. The only thing I can think of is a poor connection on the ten and gnd pins. Maybe try a larger paperclip? (I found a small one doesn't always work.)

If the radiator fans come on when ten and gnd are connected, it means your tps is not adjusted quite right. When the tps is adjusted correctly, your fans will be off, but will turn on as soon as you move the throttle just the slightest bit. This is the "fan method" for adjusting the tps. Not that this will help on the ignition timing question (as far as I know).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! After adjusting the tps, I was able to set the timing and idle properly. It apears that even though the jumper is in place, unless the idle switch is activated on the tps, the computer continues to control both. I disconnected the battery for a while, then started the car at idle for 5 minutes as suggested in another post, to reset the pcu, and the car runs like a dream!

Well that was lucky! I had no idea that a badly adjusted tps could prevent you setting the timing!

Funny you should mention that. The car ran great last night, but started pinging again when the ambient temp went up and the engine was completely warm. That got me thinking, and checked the knock sensor. Haynes says it should have a specific resistance at rest, but it tests open circuit. Anyone know how much of a pain it is going to be to re and re the intake manifold to change out the knock sensor?

wow, knock sensor very important on these cars (as opposed to Nissans). have fun replacing it.

nickr, that link doesn't talk about the knock sensor. does it show you how to do the main stuff required to get at the knock sensor? ??

Brian: I wasn't very clear in my post. That link doesn't talk about replacing the knock sensor, but it does talk about removing and replacing the IM, and as I understand it removing and replacing the IM is the main difficulty in r and r'ing the knock sensor. But maybe you have to r and r the fuel injector rails as well?

Brian: I wasn't very clear in my post. That link doesn't talk about replacing the knock sensor, but it does talk about removing and replacing the IM, and as I understand it removing and replacing the IM is the main difficulty in r and r'ing the knock sensor. But maybe you have to r and r the fuel injector rails as well?

WARNING: The spec in the Hayne's Manual for the knock sensor impedance is INCORRECT.

It should be approx. 560 kOhms, not 560 Ohms!!!! Don't waste your time with this if it isn't it!

If it's not firing correctly when warm, I would suspect the ignition wires and/or spark plugs, perhaps even the distributor itself.

WARNING: The spec in the Hayne's Manual for the knock sensor impedance is INCORRECT.

It should be approx. 560 kOhms, not 560 Ohms!!!! Don't waste your time with this if it isn't it!

Just as well you spotted that snailman!

On 7/21/2007 at 3:39 AM, langleypete said:

Obrigado, obrigado, obrigado!!! Depois de ajustar os tps, consegui ajustar o tempo e a marcha lenta corretamente. Parece que, embora o jumper esteja no lugar, a menos que o interruptor ocioso esteja ativado nos tps, o computador continua a controlar ambos. Desconectei a bateria por um tempo, depois liguei o carro em marcha lenta por 5 minutos, como sugerido em outro post, para resetar o pcu, e o carro corre como um sonho!

help me I have the same problem.
I try to adjust the timing light, but it does not change!
It all started when I traded the old distributor for a new distributor, before the car worked well, and now it does not work, I tried to adjust but I can not!
The TPS is set as described above (only turns on the fan to move on the accelerator).

9 hours ago, Fabiocamo said:

help me I have the same problem.
I try to adjust the timing light, but it does not change!
It all started when I traded the old distributor for a new distributor, before the car worked well, and now it does not work, I tried to adjust but I can not!
The TPS is set as described above (only turns on the fan to move on the accelerator).

You have to jump the TEN and GND pins inside the diagnostic box before you can adjust the timing.