• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First, inspect the contents of the suspension kit for missing or damaged parts. Mine included only the struts and springs. Note that the front struts and springs are designed to fit only on one side o

You could try on rockauto.com if you live in the USA.

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I switched ISPs last year, and no longer require a port 80 redirect. I fixed the links [and several others on the site....still need to upload a bunch of stuff again as NDM asked me...].

The other issue was I hadn't updated my domain in a while; the dyndns feature in my router doesn't work right :(

I know DynDns works fine for D-Link DIR and GamersLounge series routers. If you've got a DHCP ISP and want to host then DynDNS is a major router feature to have fail on you. :( Site seems to be doing fine. I take it you went with another ISP so you could do static ip. Site works fine for me but can be a little slow at times. Stop all the downloadin :P

Thanks for fixing the pics. I love reading all of the long how to's and project builds here. The best articles have lots of pics. The more pics the better.

I'm curious why did you replace them in the first place? Are these OEM replacements, are they for a bit better handling, lowering? How much are they adjustable if at all. ProbeGarage.com unfortunately is dead and gone. Can you recommend someplace where we might get something similiar to follow your guide?

I know DynDns works fine for D-Link DIR and GamersLounge series routers. If you've got a DHCP ISP and want to host then DynDNS is a major router feature to have fail on you. :( Site seems to be doing fine. I take it you went with another ISP so you could do static ip. Site works fine for me but can be a little slow at times. Stop all the downloadin :P

Thanks for fixing the pics. I love reading all of the long how to's and project builds here. The best articles have lots of pics. The more pics the better.

I'm curious why did you replace them in the first place? Are these OEM replacements, are they for a bit better handling, lowering? How much are they adjustable if at all. ProbeGarage.com unfortunately is dead and gone. Can you recommend someplace where we might get something similiar to follow your guide?

I just manually logged into the DNS account and changed the IP.

The problem with the DynDNS feature on the router is the DSL modem has a built-in gateway [which cannot be disabled], so my secondary router, which has the DynDNS feature, cannot properly discover the external IP address. All it sees on the WAN port is the NAT address from the DSL modem/router. The modem/router also supports DynDNS, but only from a pre-selected list of providers, and mine isn't among them. I paid a lifetime subscription [or 5 years or something], so I'm not about to switch because of crappy software in my modem.

I replaced them because the car had ~120k miles, and the springs seemed to have sagged a little. Also, one of the front struts was bent, so I needed at least one new strut. Due to the sag, the new springs only lowered the car a tiny bit.

The "blue" Tokico struts are not adjustable; they also have a "white" strut which is both compression and rebound adjustable, but they are about $400 more for the set. Adjustability is not always a good thing, and without a strong need for it, I didn't think the expense was worth it. These struts are moderately stiff, and the springs have progressive rates to avoid bottoming out. The handling is definitely firmer, but not bouncy. It just has a more solid feel, and it corners very well.

You can probably find this kit on eBay or the likes; I know it was available through multiple vendors [at the time], probegarage just happened to have them on special that month.

• 4 weeks later...

hey . . . this is my first post here . . . 1993 2.0 . . . just bought 17 x 8 O.Z. wheels and find them scraping the fender in the rear going around hard turns . . . i have been meaning to do the suspension for some time and just saw monroe sensa trac on sale so picked up a set. now the question is should i lower it? AND could i lower it with those struts? those 8 inch wide wheels don't seem to be doing too well back there as it is but i do have a fairly big box in the back and i'm sure the suspension hasn't been done in 230 000km so what do you think? will the back be able to take it? i know the front needs it for sure with the 17s but i really don't know about the back.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Pictures missing again. Up/down/up/down. I actually could really use this one when I go back at it in the morning!

I PM'd NDM; I sent him a couple gigs worth of old data last year, I'm guessing since the site migration some old DNS addresses didn't get updated. I really think we should just run a database script cleanup to troll through old posts and update links.

• 2 years later...

I just changed the front struts and strut mounts on my 98 Mazda 626. The old ones were completely shot. While I noticed an improvement in the ride, it wasn't nearly as much as I expected, and quite frankly the ride is still quite bouncy. While I assume a little of that is probably the rear struts being worn out also, it still just seems really quite excessively bouncy. The tires are properly inflated.

Any ideas?

I just changed the front struts and strut mounts on my 98 Mazda 626. The old ones were completely shot. While I noticed an improvement in the ride, it wasn't nearly as much as I expected, and quite frankly the ride is still quite bouncy. While I assume a little of that is probably the rear struts being worn out also, it still just seems really quite excessively bouncy. The tires are properly inflated.

Any ideas?

Had the same problem on my 1994 626. Very weak  front springs, and because of that, the frontbumper kissed the asphalt quite sometimes...

Recently put my mx6 suspension under the 626, and it's much much better, even now it's about 4cm lower.

So it sounds to you like the springs are worn out?  I'm assuming from the general maintanence state I bought the car in that these were the original struts that came with the car and he'd probably been driving it that way for quite a while.  Just as an example, he hadn't changed the ATF in eight years, or the coolant in 5 years, and only changed it then because he had to replace the radiator.

By the way, am I understanding correctly that you also changed the struts without changing the springs and had this problem?

My original suspension was fine, did only 150.000km's. In my case it's a known problem with european models, later years got stiffer springs and shocks.

I changed the suspension because my mx6 was handeling way better than my 626 even do, they share the shame platform.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...