Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
BenKenobi

Great... Transmission Problems.

I was driving between Baton Rouge and New Orleans on I-10 when my O/D light started blinking about halfway through the trip (I-10 and US-61 for you locals) ... There weren't any places to stop (gas stations) so I went on to my parents' house.. After getting off the interstate, the car was having problems starting off, and shifting into 3rd (it would "slip" from 2nd to 3rd until I let off the gas).. When I got to my parents' I checked the fluid level... There I found ATX fluid EVERYWHERE (well, at least on the drivers' side) .. I refilled the fluid to what looked like the correct level and afterwards the damn car would jump for a second in 1st, then IMMEDIATELY go into 2nd and stay there...

So now I'm pretty much stranded in New Orleans at my parents' house and have no clue what to do regarding fixing this quicky (since it's now officially the weekend) .. The car's been sitting a while (cooling) .. I'm hoping letting it cool off and checking the fluid levels to make sure they're right again (yes i know.. gotta let it idle in park) will help ... I have a BAD feeling i've got a blown seal somewhere.. :(

.. and before anyone asks, it looks like the transmission was rebuilt at some point (has the "quality renewal" badge on it)

You probably just 'over-heated' your internal parts of the transmission and the trans fluid escaped through the 'vent'. Letting your car cool off will help until your next long drive (.......or you did 'fry' your trans??).

Do you have a external cooler? If not , get one.

Your transmission may still be good, if you didn't over do it by the long drive. But not having an external cooler will only mean that you will have further 'over-heating' problems until your transmision gives out. Good luck! :smile:

Yeah, I did some more extesive searching after I finally got home (i've got the 'rents car..)

I'm not sure ... I was down there delivering some pens to a client ... I swapped cars to make the delivery.. When I got back the transmission seemed to be getting better... but not quite there...

Maybe by tomorrow it'll be ok .. and all i'll have to do is have a transmission shop refill my fluid and maybe install a cooler ...

Define "fried" ... What would I be looking for in a "fried" transmission? The car still moves :smile:

most times fried is when you have over heated the part to failure

if you did fry it you should be able to smell it

you may want to look in to a tranny flush too

most places in town charge about 85-120 for the job

i recomend mech-tech on florida and sherwood

or the firestone on jones creek and tigerbend(wont put a cooleron) they both do really good work abd are pretty quick

hope every thing goes well

most times fried is when you have over heated the part to failure

if you did fry it you should be able to smell it

Well, when the o/d light started blinking I smelled something vaguely burning.. Probably the fluid that sprayed out burning on the engine.. But there wasn't this awful burning smell after that.

roger that.

most places in town charge about 85-120 for the job

i recomend mech-tech on florida and sherwood

or the firestone on jones creek and tigerbend(wont put a cooleron) they both do really good work abd are pretty quick

I may attempt that feat myself ... with a friend.. i read the how-to on here and it seems like two idiots with tools can combine their auto-iq (his is admittedly higher than mine) to pull this off

hope every thing goes well

yeah.. me too

Thanks for the suggestions of places to go in BR .. The car is stuck at my parents' house in Kenner though .. No way I'd attempt to drive it back to BR :smile:

I'm gonna take it to a guy I'm pretty sure I can trust.. Friend of mine worked for him years ago and vouches for his abilities and honesty..

I've learned (through personal experience, my 91 civic needed a rebuilt, and through reading) that mechanics are first and foremost SALESMEN.. A rebuild gets them more money than a simple flush ...

Do not flush the cd4e tranny. just drain it and fill it..back flushing will get more crap stuck in small passages and in the clutches. SO just drain and fill.

Do not flush the cd4e tranny. just drain it and fill it..back flushing will get more crap stuck in small passages and in the clutches. SO just drain and fill.

Ok, so which is it? I bring it in 8am tomorrow.

In the hopes of getting a helpful answer, I'm gonna reluctantly admit that the fluid in that transmission (if there's any left) is um... Let's just say VERY overdue Especially if I'm supposed to get it changed every 12k miles

Hows this..there is a mazda tech bulletin that says not to flush the tranny..the only flusing you do is to the radiator where the tranny lines hook up..thats where there is a small magnet to catch any metal particles.

If you back flush a cd4e tranny kiss it good bye.

if you put a cooler on it the directions clearly say flush the trans before you do it.

i have talked with many people on this board who have flushed their trans too and i talked to my dealer and they charge $285 for a flish on a 96 626

did they change something on the 98-2001 626s?

or does that buliton apply to all 626s?

i was getting ready to do mine next sat sept 30th

and have not head dont flush them :blink:

So I brought the car in ... It's still acting up .. apparently (according to the mechanic) it's in failsafe mode .. or "it stays in 2nd gear" as i explained it.. that seemed to give him the impression that all is not lost..

I'll keep everyone updated with the latest.

Also, where can I buy one of these transmission coolers? I'm guessing Hayden is the brand of choice here?

I'm open to suggestions as far as which model to get, where to buy, etc.

if you go to advance on segan they have them i will pm you the info in the one i got it was $48

and it has every thing you need

i dont have it with me so will pm it around 5:30 6

CHECK YOUR RADIATOR! If your coolant is all cruddy, your tranny cooler might be messed up, mine was. Couldn't make it more than 30 miles on the freeway over 65mph without setting off the light. flushing the cooling system fixed all that. (four gallons of distilled water, one gallon of antifreeze. drain out as much as possible, fill with water, run for a while, repeat. when down to the last gallon, start working in the antifreeze)

if you're changing fluid on the tranny (good idea) maybe throw in at least one quart of synthetic.

i'm thinking about a remote filter for mine... something for everyone to look into?

good luck

E

Well, it's not looking to good ... Guy says the transmission is "coming apart internally" and that more than likely i'm looking at a rebuild.. Which would cost me about as much as I paid for the car in the first place.

So it looks like I'm gonna have to sell a lot of promotional products to pay for this . . . :(:(:(

So it looks like I'm gonna have to sell a lot of promotional products to pay for this . . . :(:(:(

what you got

if you got a company logo i will put it on and advertise for ya

will help out any way i can

A rebuild with a new valve body shouldnt be much more than 2k, if he wants more than that then see what a factory rebuilt would be..also...its a crap shoot too..but I bet there a bunch of cd4e trannys that are used..getting a low mileage one shouldnt be but 600 bucks or so..just make sure its not water logged.

i'm right there with you. my o/d light has been flashing for the past week. stopped last night but now i can smell something burning. pretty much going to come down to rebuilding but i can't afford it. so i may have to let the 626 go :( i love this car! ahhh!

what you got

if you got a company logo i will put it on and advertise for ya

will help out any way i can

How much window real estate are you willing to "donate" ? I can brew up a small thing like the logo, a phone number and a couple big items we do (t-shirts, creative marketing, etc)

A rebuild with a new valve body shouldnt be much more than 2k, if he wants more than that then see what a factory rebuilt would be..also...its a crap shoot too..but I bet there a bunch of cd4e trannys that are used..getting a low mileage one shouldnt be but 600 bucks or so..just make sure its not water logged.

Well, he hasn't made a final diagnosis (says there's a few more things he wants to check before calling it a lost cause for repair) .. The guy I took it to is really good, and I trust him 100% .. I may pay a little more, but I know it'll be done right.

not as much as you have on yours

got any examples

like a web site address i could put above the deck light

just as long as it dont mess with my lsu one :smile:

not as much as you have on yours

got any examples

like a web site address i could put above the deck light

just as long as it dont mess with my lsu one :smile:

i've got some metallic decals i had done that fade purple-gold ... i'll have to find them .. hope they're not in the glovebox in the car :blink:

DSCN9098.JPG

It's about 1" x 10" ...

The temporary Geauxmobile has one on the back window.. So if you see a green Honda CR-V running around w/ one of those.. That's me :smile: