Sign in to follow this  
ripper

Temp Guage On Dash

9 posts in this topic

My dash guage stays at the middle of the "E" after warming up without the radiator fan being connected.After driving today 55* for 10 miles it still didn't go much above the middle of the "E" even after shutting it off.It does go to O when cold and does move to the "E" when warm but no further.I had the head replaced and don't want to have it fail because the guage is faulty.

just change the speedometer cluster, and before you do that try reseting you ECU, mazda ECU's got a memory but I'm not sure if it applies to the 86-87 model.

Oh,you wouldn't suggest any tests BEFORE spending a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY on a new speedometer cluster rather than maybe just finding out theres nothing wrong or just a sending unit is faulty?

I gues you change engines when you run low on oil huh?

Oh I didn't know $20 is a whole lot of money for you, since thats what you'd pay for a used cluster at the pull it yard. Now if you want to get all technical and want the right answer how about buying the damn manual at the dealership or are you too cheap. And if your talking about the temperature guage, then you should be refering to a "C" for cold not and E and "H" for hot. If you car is not warming up then I would first check the gravity of the coolant, if its good then go and check to see if the thermostat is opening at the right temperature as indicated on the thermostat.

By the sounds of it, it looks like the coolant is not good. But the best way to check is let the car idle for about 20 minutes with fan disconnected and see if the car warms up, if it crosses the half way point then plug the fan back in( DO NOT LET THE CAR OVERHEAT ). Once you are on the highway, your fan shouldn't come on since the air coming into the radiator should cool the coolant down suffeciently. And as for your last coment, grow up, I'M NOT STUPID ENOUGH TO LET ME CAR RUN LOW ON OIL AND I HAVE THE BASIC KNOWLEDGE TO CHECK FOR LEAKS AND TOP UP THE FLUID. iF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE BASIC TRY READING ON THE INTERNET AND USE GOOGLE BUT IF THATS TOO HARD FOR YOU THEN i WOULD SUGGEST TAKLING THE CAR TO A MECHANIC AND PAY HIM TO CHECK FOR YOU. bE HAPPY THAT SOMEONE EVEN RESPONDED TO YOUR QUESTION.

First off,there are NO PULL yards withing 100 miles of me.Second,a dash set would be WELL over $100 (per Find my parts) forget dealer price.Second I have the Mazda shop manual.Doesn't help.Third,the guage has the wORD T.E.M.P> on the guage and the needle sits exactly in the middle of the "E" whether I'm riding or not.Thats the whole reason for asking.Due to an accident the car has 3 relays missing (ignition) ( heater fan) and still haven't found out what the 3d one is for.Guess what,I took the car to the Mazda dealer and THEY COULDN'T tell me what relays to buy to fix it.I have one guy on another board that has helped track down which wires go to which tab on the accessory relays I bought but we're both stuck on the 3'd. He HAS the wiring diagrams from mazda.

Sorry if I offended you,but it seems like a dumb answer to buy a whole guage cluster for what could be a ending unit problem OR no problem at all.

well good luck with the problem, but I have 4 of these cars, and all of them sit below the half way on the gauge. And on all the cars that I have, plus about the 100 that I have fixed and about the 2000, my dad has fixed, seeing as he was a formen and mazda, all the guages have a C for cold and H for hot, unless your from outside of north america, then sorry for that. And also if needed I could get a dash cluster for about $20. if the problem is that its on the E and the E is on the bottom half, then there shouldn't be a problem.

rahim 24 is correct

half way on the gauge is ok !

make sure the plug for the temp gauge is in good coniditon.

to make sure the gauge works. turn ignition on ground the wire to earth you should get full gauge deflection.

Hi Ripper-

I have an 85/87, and my temperature gague does not go above just under half ever either. I think it is simply a credit to Mazda that they had a very efficient cooling system on our cars. I have noticed that the fans do not switch on whenever I am on the highway, even when I am doing a sustained high speed, simply because the fresh cool air flowing over the radiator through the front grille is adequate to cool the coolant. The only time the fans switch on is when I am stuck in peak hour traffic (or is that parking...), or when they are forced on while the air cond is on.

Test out your temperature sender by doing what 1984 mazda 626 said ( ground the temperature sender on the engine while ignition is on), that should tell you that your gague is okay if it goes all the way to the top. As for the relay issue, I have no idea! Your car is slightly newer than mine, so my mazda wiring manual is useless. Only thing I can suggest is perhaps having an informal chat with your local auto-electrician? You are right, the dealer is useless when it comes to anything that is not brand spanking new...

al :smile: