Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ekobres

Obdii P1195 On 97 626 Lx V6 W/90k Miles...

A buddy and I just finished running down an issue on this car whch the dealer claimed was total engine failure. That's a $4,000 - $6,500 repair.

The symptom was a lound clacking noice which sounded like it was coming from inside the engine. I'm assured that the tech who looked at my car has 25 years experience and is ASE certified.

It turned out the timing belt tensioner was shot and the clacking noise was the tensioner assembly bottoming out on every compression stroke. Certification and experience and certification appear to be a poor substitute for skill, ability and common sense.

Anyway...

In the process of troubleshooting the issue after I picked up the car from the dealer, we took off the intake manifold and everything above it to get to the heads for a listen. Obviously it turned out we needn't have done that.

Anyway, after finding the problem and replacing the belts, water pump, tensioner and getting everything back together the car fired right up and ran great for about 5 minutes. Once it heated up it started lumbering a bit and the check engnine light came on. It also smelled terrible and seemed to like to emit haze -- not smoke.

Other than a lumbering idle and a propensity to emit smog, the car runs great - the engine is quiet as a kitten.

I took it to A.Z. and got them to scan the P1195 code which I have looked up as "EGR Boost Sensor Circuit".

Any ideas on where to go from here? It seems like something must have gone wrong during reassembly of the intake system.

How would you recommend I go about troubleshooting and resolving this code? Also, if I fix the issue, will the code clear itself or will I have to buy a scan tool to figure out whether I fixed the problem?

Check the EGR wiring to ensure it's all plugged in; then verify you hooked the vacuum lines up correctly (I'm willing to bet this is the problem). BTW, EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and the "haze" you're seeing is probably your car running rich; common with EGR malfunctions.

A Hayne's Manual would be beneficial in troubleshooting.

• Like 1

I have a question on the EGR also... Can it cause gas mileage problems even if the check engine light doesn't come on? I have the transmission out of the car, and the valve is easily accessible right now. Should I clean it just in case? My check engine light has never come on because of this. Thanks.

I have a question on the EGR also... Can it cause gas mileage problems even if the check engine light doesn't come on? I have the transmission out of the car, and the valve is easily accessible right now. Should I clean it just in case? My check engine light has never come on because of this. Thanks.

If it aint broke dont fix it....before you start looking for something to fix to save gas make sure your tires are inflated correctly...most common reason for reduced mpg..