Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
tiko

Steering Rack & Pinion

Hi,

I just replaced the rear engine mount (626 '94 V6 MT) without removing the intake manifold or front exaust pipe, so it seems it was not a hard work to do.

I realize that the Steering Rack & Pinion need to be replaced too.

Does anyone have experience replacing Steering Rack & Pinion before.

Can we perform that work without removing any other parts...?

Thank's

I actually have a brand new rack sitting around, but I've never got around to doing it; so I dunno.

To me, it seems like removing the crossmember is common sense to give you easier access down there. As well, I would presume seperating the rack from the steering column is probably the hardest part; that pin bolt doesn't look like it's too much fun to get to.

I did one recently on a Pontiac but the 626 looks to be quite involved compared to the Grand Am. The Haynes manual has you disconnecting tie rods, removing the crossmember, the tranny cradle, exhaust manifolds, rear engine mounts, stabilizer bar and finally the gear rack itself. I guess if you have enough jacks and possibly a nice engine hoist you could do it.

I looked at the Haynes Manual instuctions as well, I think they're absurd. I don't see the point of doing everything they listed.

To me, it appears that if you remove the crossmember, you'll get pretty good access to everything. From then on, you'll have to detach the outer tie-rod ends and disconnect the power steering lines. Afterwards, you'll just remove the rack bushings and the pin-bolt holding the rack to the steering column; the rack should slide out of the column when you pull down on it. At this point, you should be able to slide the rack out the side, through the driver's side wheel well.

I looked at the Haynes Manual instuctions as well, I think they're absurd. I don't see the point of doing everything they listed.

To me, it appears that if you remove the crossmember, you'll get pretty good access to everything. From then on, you'll have to detach the outer tie-rod ends and disconnect the power steering lines. Afterwards, you'll just remove the rack bushings and the pin-bolt holding the rack to the steering column; the rack should slide out of the column when you pull down on it. At this point, you should be able to slide the rack out the side, through the driver's side wheel well.

That's pretty much the way I did it on the Grand Am and that was per a Haynes manual. Maybe Haynes got it wrong on the 626...

How many engine mounts are there? My car thunks when you downshift or the motor torques as well as shaking violently deaccelerating or idling down the road. So I am figuring that it is a mount, now which one?~~~Grim

Its the rear one. The hardest one to be replaced.

It has 2 bolts and 1 screw to the frame, and a center screw.

All 17mm

my car: 1993 manual v6

My did the shaking thing as low speed in 1 gear, particularly, and if I hit the gas, even VERY slightly to get moving, it would jerk. I knew it was something wrong, I kinda thought it might be a motor mount. well, checking on my terribly leaking power steering fluid issue, I inspected motor mounts. I saw two on the sides of the motor, and one in the back (sides of car, and back of engine compartment). the sides looked real good. the back one I could see looked pretty fubar and broken rubber components in it and cracked. Is this really the hard one to replace? It 'seems' that those two side ones would be harder. Atleast reading this thread, it appears the broken bottom back motor moutn i saw broken was causing my weird jerking acceleration issue.

Thanks... someone please check my power steering fluid leak thread (I just started)

http://www.mazda626.net/index.php?act=ST&f...t=0#entry161538

: )

as a side note, from what I understand, if the TPS is not adjusted to spec, this can cause that shaking thing too. i believe my tps is off too, but maybe only a little. im really sure the motor mount at the bottom rear is shot to pieces. here is a link to a site that gives shortcut on TPS adjustment: tps adjustment in 5 minutes for free By the way, im new to this car, i was an 1995 nissan person for years and years. im glad to see there is a lot of information ,like for my nissan, on this 1993 mazda 626 v-6 manual i bought recently. i bet it's realted, to be honest, to the fact that there are like 2 other cars that are mostly the same as it is in many respects (ford probe, mazda mx6 )

just search towards the bottom half or third of that webpage for ' throttle position sensor '

-Pass