Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tradosaurus

Transmission Fluid Leak

7 posts in this topic

My wife called me yesterday to tell me there was black smoke coming from the engine.

After inspection I noticed evidence of transmission fluid coming from various spots under the car. I can't really seem to locate it.

I checked the fluid level and it was almost empty. I suspect that this occurred fairly recently.

The history of the car is that I bought it 3 months ago with 97,000 miles. There was no evident leak when I bought it nor was there an evident leak when I took it in to Jiffy Lube to have the transmission fluid changed. I had a transmission fluid/filter change complete at 98,000 miles.

The guy at the Jiffy Lube said that sometimes changing transmission fluid can make a leak occur if the fluid has never been changed before but I decided to take the risk. I don't know if the transmission fluid had ever been changed prior to my purchase of the car.

Now at 99,000 miles I have a pretty good size leak. It's just very difficult to tell where the leak is coming from. I know it is not coming from the transmission gasket which was changed at Jiffy Lube. I've checked all the bolts for looseness that I could reach.

I've refilled the fluid level and used some transmission fluid stop leak. I don't know what else to do, besides take it into a transmission shop, except to keep refilling with transmission stop leak and monitor it.

I've put a piece of cardboard under the leak area to be able to monitor it better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is it an auto or manual. If manual...The endtank (the steel pan on the end of the transmission) is a very common spot for leaks. The leaked fluid will run down the transmission and make it difficult to spot. Im not really familiar with the automatic. Sorry.

Chris

It's an automatic transmission.

I went ahead and used some of that Slick 50 transmission treatment to see if that would help seal up some of the leaks.

I will continue to monitor it and cross my fingers.

:huh:

My wife called me yesterday to tell me there was black smoke coming from the engine.

After inspection I noticed evidence of transmission fluid coming from various spots under the car. I can't really seem to locate it.

I checked the fluid level and it was almost empty. I suspect that this occurred fairly recently.

The history of the car is that I bought it 3 months ago with 97,000 miles. There was no evident leak when I bought it nor was there an evident leak when I took it in to Jiffy Lube to have the transmission fluid changed. I had a transmission fluid/filter change complete at 98,000 miles.

The guy at the Jiffy Lube said that sometimes changing transmission fluid can make a leak occur if the fluid has never been changed before but I decided to take the risk. I don't know if the transmission fluid had ever been changed prior to my purchase of the car.

Now at 99,000 miles I have a pretty good size leak. It's just very difficult to tell where the leak is coming from. I know it is not coming from the transmission gasket which was changed at Jiffy Lube. I've checked all the bolts for looseness that I could reach.

I've refilled the fluid level and used some transmission fluid stop leak. I don't know what else to do, besides take it into a transmission shop, except to keep refilling with transmission stop leak and monitor it.

I've put a piece of cardboard under the leak area to be able to monitor it better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jiffylube lied.

Your car, an automatic is CD4E transmission and it does NOT have a tranmission filter. It has a transmission screen and it is inside the transmission (they have to take out your transmission and disassemble the damn thing to change the screen).

Make sure that Jiffylube used at least 8L of new Mercon III transmission fluid when they did the change, anything less than that is not complete transmission fluid change. Also make sure that they flushed it properly (using machine to suck out fluid, not back-flushing it).

If not, you would have done better draining and filling it yourself and doing it at least once a week until you used up 12L of new tranmission fluid. That way you replace the fluid slowly by dillution and you do not disturb anything inside your transmission.

Well my wife was at the Jiffy Lube and saw the guy disassemble quite a few parts to get to the screen (or filter).

I heard different stories on this list whether there is or there is not a filter on this transmission. My Hanes manual says there is but the point now is that I've got some leaks.

She spent 4 hours while the guy worked on it non-stop so I'm assuming that he did what he stated.

Also I was told by two independent transmission places that the CD4E could not be flushed using their machines.

Now I'm wondering if by using these "stop leak" products if, overtime, I can plug the leaks. :huh:

I heard different stories on this list whether there is or there is not a filter on this transmission. My Hanes manual says there is but the point now is that I've got some leaks.

V6 does have a serviceable filter. I4 does not. FAIK JiffyLube tried to look for the filter, decided that it's not there, put the transmission all together in a hurry and now you have a leak. Sorry about the leak.

Stop leak might or might not help. Most of the time it's just a waste of money.

Best thing is to bring your car to a reputable transmission shop, not JiffyLube.