Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
erikanderson

An "in The Know" Attitude

There is a tendancy in any industry for those who understand it completely to look down on those of us who do not. I am not refering to my posts but to others I have read in the week that I have been active on this board.

In my industry, network engineering, we do not want to speak to those who aren't in it because 1. they don't know the terms and 2. they can't talk on "our level" about subjects important to us.

Also in my industry, as in 626 troubleshooting, there are conflicitng opinions on everything. The man is a complete fool who takes one opinion and runs with it in the fixing of a network and in the fixing of a car.

I forget, many times, that the person who asks me about routing an IP signal when they don't know what OS they have is simply trying to learn and understand so that they can enter the "club" of knowledge.

When someone asks a stupid question about an engine swap or a distributor or a coil, please don't assume that that person is stupid, just assume that they aspire to become an enthusiast at or near the level that all of you obviously have achieved.

i agree, every forum i've ever been to has had the helpful people, and the "you're a moron because you don't know what you're doing" people...

however, i guess as they say "C'est La Vie"... such is life. You will find assclowns everywhere you go all over the planet... things wont change if you go to a different town just as they won't if you go to a different forum.

Baz Luhrmann once said, "Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults."

try to look past the... lets say... "constructive critisizm" and find what's really there. we're not all horrible, but there are bound to be a few.

B)

I also wanted to mention that [at least I personally] sometimes put things in basic terms so that everyone can understand it and benefit. Remember, this is a forum so others who have similar problems will come across what was written at different times, and not to sound condescending, but probably 90% of the members are not exactly mechanically inclined. I try to do this particularly in a "How-To" since it is used as a reference.

Sure it's annoying reading things that are written in language below par for what you're used to in a particular field, but at least this way both the newbie and the experienced do-it-yourselfer can understand it, as opposed to only one of the two.

So don't take it as an insult, because remember, forums aren't a 1-on-1 conversation.