I'm looking for a good deal on a KL-ZE engine, with ECU and VAF/MAF. If any of you have experience with purchasing one, it would be great to know how much I should pay, how soon I should expect to get it, etc. and if you ran into any problems?

Also, I know there are several variants of the ZE running around, what should I look for to determine I got the "real deal" ?

Thanks in advance! B)

ok ill talk to them in the morning and tell u how much this will cost in CANADIAN DOLLARS, usually the are less expensive if u are form around here.

my guess is that they will ask for about 800 CANDIAN DOLLARS(600 US$) for this. but let me inform myself first.

Awesome! Would that price include ECU or anything?

And in general, do I need the ZE distributor?

Couple more questions:

This first link claims to be a ZE, but it has a very different IM from what I remember...they also claim 210 hp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33615

The second link also claims to be a ZE, and looks more like the ZE I'm familiar with, but I'm confused now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33615

well i see what u mean.

those 2 ebay links are diff. compagny maybe they took some generic picture or something...they look like brand new(both of them)

ill see in the morning how the motors look and how the IM is exactly.

ill ask for the ECU and the other stuff.

www.noyanusa.com they are in virgina. i believe its $990 shipped B)

and as far as it being "real", call them up and ask them to remove the valve cover and see if the cam is stamped kl01 or kl31. kl01 are the cams you have now kl31 are real ze cams. oh and the straight neck manifold and the ms8(that weird curvy one) both flow about the same. cams and head stamps are most important though. if it doesnt say kl31 then dont get it.

The heads should be stamped KL31-101/KL31-1A1, the cams should be stamped KL31, the EGR should be blocked off on the block.

Snailman, you don't need a KL-ZE disty, nor can you use one, unless you have an extrenal coil. The ZE's disty's have external coils and have a different harness plug. So just use your 03 disty.

Reasonable price

please specify me whats a reasonable price for u? -_-

so i could start looking for that price B)

Well, my budget is approximately ~$1,000 including SHIPPING to area code 29708, or zip 30313 (depends on the timing).

A kid on PT gets a few of them every year, and seems to have a bulk buy or few. He gets 10 of them, with full wiring harness and transmission - the manuals ALL have the oem LSD (drool anyone?) and he sells them for $700 for engine + tranny. That is the best deal I've ever seen, I personally would pay $700 alone for the jspec tranny with LSD - That is half of the price of a Quailfe alone! You do have to pick up the engine/tranny, he's in NEPO so he can't be too far from you.

~Patrick

Ok, I think I found my source for the engine.

http://www.japandomesticmotor.com/viewengin.asp?id=37

I gave them a call, they include everything but the ECU, they don't have any right now. The guy I spoke with also told me that the J-Spec ECU really makes minimal difference in the performance, as they also install and have tested both cases.

They are located in Montreal, Canada.

Anyone have experience with this company? They gave me the best price and shipping price so far for a complete engine, most places sell the ZE without the intake manifold.

The only other place that I found was cheaper was located in Malaysia, and I'm not too trusting of a totally foreign company (how do you return something to Malaysia?). Canada I can deal with.

If you bought a ZE, can you tell me where and how much, what was included? I'm ordering tomorrow afternoon.

Ok, I think I found my source for the engine.

http://www.japandomesticmotor.com/viewengin.asp?id=37

I gave them a call, they include everything but the ECU, they don't have any right now. The guy I spoke with also told me that the J-Spec ECU really makes minimal difference in the performance, as they also install and have tested both cases.

They are located in Montreal, Canada.

Anyone have experience with this company? They gave me the best price and shipping price so far for a complete engine, most places sell the ZE without the intake manifold.

The only other place that I found was cheaper was located in Malaysia, and I'm not too trusting of a totally foreign company (how do you return something to Malaysia?). Canada I can deal with.

If you bought a ZE, can you tell me where and how much, what was included? I'm ordering tomorrow afternoon.

All together, I paid about $760 for my ZE.

Incorrect vris timming on the ZE is worth about 12whp and 10wtq, this has time and time again been proven. Also with the VRIS not working at the correct time on the long-neck ZE intake manifold, your powerband will not be it's best - on american ecu 6250 is end of powerband, j-spec ecu is 6500 and starts a little lower than the American engine. Some things to keep in mind.

When you call up, ask them to remove the front valve cover, and tell you the stamping. Don't tell them numbers, let them tell you. If it says kl31 on the cams, cool - if it says kl101, tell them to look at other engines until they can find one that is KL31.

Japan had quite a few v6's with ZE flat top pistons, and the cam profile that we are used to. The KL101 are the cams we already have, the KL31 are the ones with increased lift and duration.

I have a friend in Holland who imports them and installs them, so he's told me alot of random stuff he finds with the engines.

If you would like a Japanese ECU let me know, he has a bunch laying around along with the JE50 VAF's. I'm certain he'd be willing to make you a fair deal. :biggrin:

~Patrick

If you bought a ZE, can you tell me where and how much, what was included?  I'm ordering tomorrow afternoon.

I bought mine at http://www.tigerjapanese.com/

They're located in Ontario.

$1000 Canadian for the ZE including the IM and all the accessories, and some mounts. They pretty much just cut the engine out of the car, everything that's left hanging, you'll get. I had a very good experience with them. Call and ask them about the ECU and VAF.

Adlorin, you didn't mention where you got yours! Shame! SHAME!!!!!

Funny story How I got mine. :smile:

I fried the rings on my engine, damn FMU - So I knew another guy in Mipoc who had gotten a parts car, and sold me the engine for $450. The engine has paperwork stating ford rebuilt it 2 years ago, we checked compression and it was over 200 per cylinder - so I thought sweet, great shape KL03 with higher than stock compression.

We install the engine, and try to get things running - I had an injector that was completely blown and just dumped gas - the stupid thing hydrolocked cylinder 4 on GAS - nice, huh? So I tore the engine down, and noticed that the Intake ports on the head were huge - I know that in 93 some of the US Probes had the ZE heads stock, I forget get vin range - but it's verifyable, so I was geeked thinking I got the rare engine that only a few others got. I read that it said 'KL-101' on the head, then knew that they were ZE heads and not the KL-31 heads with the larger intake ports.

I look at the cams and see kl101 - then I think, shit - American cams, how lame. I messure them just to make sure, yep American cams. I had to get a connecting rod + ze piston from a guy in Detroit at like 1am so I could have the car running next day. From that, I could verrify that indeed the pistons were the flat-top ZE variety. After blowing that rod and replacing it, I used the injectors that came with the ZE - things started up just fine. Then the piece of @#$$ timing belt tensioner went and the engine jumped timing - good thing it's non interferance. At this time I had been up for about 36 hours, and it was time to leave for Myrtle - this point here had made Myrtle a no go this year. *WHINE!*

So from that point, I have ZE heads, American Cams, ZE block+pistons and American IM. I check out the HLA and see that ALL of them are partially collapsed - the previous owner used conventional oil that was too thick, probably something not good like Penzoil 15w40 or something. I cleaned a rebuilt a couple of them, they hold perfect now. I'll rebuild the rest soon here. Knowing this, I'm certain after rebuilding them I'll get the full 210 compression. B)

I talk to a guy who wants to get a supercharger kit from me, he just got a ZE too - he had a spare ZE IM and swaped his stock ZE cams for some sick interprep cams (the kind that make power to nearly 8k RPM :blink: ! ) - So he offers me the CAMS + IM for a discount on the SC kit for $310, and I bite.

So in the end, $760 later - I have a ZE. Woot?

~Patrick