Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
rippa72

Flashing Hold Light Driving Me Crazy!!!

Hi Guys,

Got a problem with my 92 Telstar TX5 (I know its not a Mazda but may as well be :biggrin: ) and the auto transmission. Every now and then the HOLD light will start flashing on the dash and the gearbox will not change from 3rd to 4th. It will still change from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but these changes become very jerky. Sometimes you can turn the ignition off and then back on again and it will fix it but more often then not it won't. This does not happen all the time either. It has also started putting interference through the stereo when the selector is in the "D" position but not in any other position.

I have had a read through here and am under the impression that overheating may be an issue but as this can happen from the minute I turn the car on as well as not happen even after driving th car all day I don't think it is relevant in this case.

I have had the car in at a couple of places and no one has been able to find the problem let alone a solution!!! I was kinda hoping someone on here might be able to shed some light on it.

Thanks in advance

When your hold light is flashing, it means there is an error code caused by the transmission, similar to a check engine light.

The first thing you should do is find out what is causing this error code, this way you know exactly what the problem is. The problem could be as easy as replacing a sensor or adjusting something, or it could be more serious. Stop driving the car until you resolve this problem, since further mechanical damage could occur, hopefully it's nothing serious at this stage.

The procedure for checking transmission error codes similar to checking the engine light codes, except you jump different pins and watch the hold light blink instead of the CEL.

The first thing you should do is find out what is causing this error code, this way you know exactly what the problem is.

The procedure for checking transmission error codes similar to checking the engine light codes, except you jump different pins and watch the hold light blink instead of the CEL.

is the checking the same as what is listed on the maintenance sheet for the 1993-1997 Probe & MX-6 in another post on here or is the pin configuration different? Is it just a matter of counting the amount of times it flashes or is there some kind of coding used?

Thanks heaps for the info :smile:

You jump the TAT and GND pins in the diagnostics connector.

The hold light should flash out the error codes.

Long flashes represent 10's and short flashes represent 1's. So for example, 2 long flashes followed by 5 short flashes would represent code 25. If there is more than one code, the flashes will pause and the next code will be flashed out. This process continuesly repeats until it is turned off, so the codes will repeat themselves.

01 - NE1 (crankshaft position sensor)

06 - Vehicle speed sensor

12 - Throttle position sensor

14 - BARO sensor (located within PCME)

55 - Vehicle speed pulse generator

56 - ATF thermosensor

57 - Reduce torque signal 1

58 - Reduce torque signal 2

59 - Torque reduced/ECT sensor

60 - 1-2 shift solenoid valve

61 - 2-3 shift solenoid valve

62 - 3-4 shift solenoid valve

63 - converter lock-up solenoid valve

64 - 3-2 timing solenoid valve

65 - converter lock-up valve

66 - line pressure solenoid valve

On 11/30/2004 at 12:17 PM, vlad said:

You jump the TAT and GND pins in the diagnostics connector.

The hold light should flash out the error codes.

Long flashes represent 10's and short flashes represent 1's. So for example, 2 long flashes followed by 5 short flashes would represent code 25. If there is more than one code, the flashes will pause and the next code will be flashed out. This process continuesly repeats until it is turned off, so the codes will repeat themselves.

01 - NE1 (crankshaft position sensor)

06 - Vehicle speed sensor

12 - Throttle position sensor

14 - BARO sensor (located within PCME)

55 - Vehicle speed pulse generator

56 - ATF thermosensor

57 - Reduce torque signal 1

58 - Reduce torque signal 2

59 - Torque reduced/ECT sensor

60 - 1-2 shift solenoid valve

61 - 2-3 shift solenoid valve

62 - 3-4 shift solenoid valve

63 - converter lock-up solenoid valve

64 - 3-2 timing solenoid valve

65 - converter lock-up valve

66 - line pressure solenoid valve

the dashboard will flash out the code of the error caused or need to check out the hold light blinking count?