Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheerupemoqueer

Oil Filter

47 posts in this topic

my 1997 2.0L I4 has in the owners manual that it takes a special tool to retighten the filter is this really the case? and if not where is that damn filter because i cant find it for the life of me!

The only special tool you need is either your left hand or your right hand, take your pick. If you want to find that filter, look under the IM on the passenger side, it's accessible from there

I drive mine up on some ramps and get to it underneath. You need to get your arm over the transaxle and the filter is difficult to see, but it should unscrew by hand. It is at an angle upside down under the passenger side intake manifold (IM as blackshine said), so if most of the oil isn't drained from the pan, oil could run down the engine or your arm.

I have a 97 I4 and I attack it from above, passenger side and I don't use any tools, just my hand. As you can see everyone has a differrent method, just choose yours :smile: b

Also, if you go with a fram oil filter, it has a rough coating on the oil filter so it is easier to get a good grip.

jpit, I'd go in from the top, but my forearms are too damn big! :lol:

not really, the first time I couldn't find the filter from above so I went underneath. I'll have to try it using the above method. thx.

jpit, I'd go in from the top, but my forearms are too damn big! :lol:

not really, the first time I couldn't find the filter from above so I went underneath. I'll have to try it using the above method. thx.

Well I'm the opposite, small arms which work great in small places. Stinks when I try to replace an axle :(

yeah my forearm is bigger around than most peoples necks so i should probably try the bottom approach lol thanks guys

Does anyone tried any other oil filter that is bigger?

This little stock filters give me doubts about it's capabilities.

a bigger filter might change the fuel pressure; it would probably make it lower, it's not what you want.

but if you think about it it will make your car better. performence oil filter will increase the amount of oil that goes throug= more oil goes to your cranshaft, cleaner oil, more longer life of filter, yes it will lower oil pressure before oil filter but this doesn't mean anything serious.

If you have a bigger oil filter, you should put more oil through it, otherwise what's the point?. Therefore, a higher pressure oil pump.

A high pressure oil pump is very good for lubricating an engine, especially our KL engines, which have a weak oil delivery system. However, these higher flow pumps increase the probablitly of oil leaks, since certain gaskets and seals are more likely to give out under higher pressure.

you don't lower oil pressure after filter you lowering pressure before filter. the pump still going to do its work and bypass valve in filter too.

when you have small fiter you can see when it's new: in the morning you start your car oil led will almost go off immideitly. old (700-1000) you will see the same led that will work between 0.5-1.7 second till it will go off. but we run our cars on the same oil for about 2000 milles. so how long do you think upper parts of the car should work without oil ? when filter is full or oil is too thik bypass valve is workingor, how long car should work without clean oil?

My oil LED goes off immediatly even after 5000km, which is my oil change interval, so I see no change when comprared to a new a oil and filter.

What brand of oil are you using anway, and what brand of filter?

You might find this interesting: http://www.probeaddiction.com/dualfilter.htm

..this is a duel oil filter relocation kit. Basically, it gives you twice the amount of oil filtration. However, this system will actually slightly increase the oil pressure, not decrease. This would be the right way to do what you're thinking of. :smile:

somehow i dont think two oil filters would help that much more... why dont we go and add two fuel filters while were at it? im not the expert but i think im gonna call it :p34fh:

I think it would help depending on what purpose you need this for. But it would clearly improve the filtration, no doubt about it.

Having two oil filters depending on which ones can also drastically bring down your pressure. This is a big concern with these engines and the HLAs. A bad oil filter can drop your pressure up to 20 psi.

TomK

I don't understand you..first of all you argue that even though having a bigger oil filter might bring down the oil pressure, it would be OK since more oil will be passed through (BTW, I don't agree with this, oil delivery highly depends on oil pressure.)

Then I post a link for a Duel Oil Filter Kit, which specifically INCREASES oil pressure; and you start to argue that having two filters would decrease the pressure, which is bad, since oil delivery highly depends on pressure. Therefore, you go againsts what you argued before and agree with what I posted eariler. But you now argue againsts this Duel Oil Fitler kit, even though it specifically increases the the oil pressure. I'm guessing you didn't even look at the link and probeaddictions description of the kit.

Do you just intentionally argue everything I say to annoy me?

Ha, my fault vlad, sorry about the last post. I did not link to that one you posted, and just came into this thread on page two and did not see what was stated last night, just remembered where it was headed from the privious day. I also had not posted to this thread earlier and probably should have stayed out. I wasn't trying to argue with you, you have helped me out to much to make you upset. Hope no hard feelings?

TomK

It's cool B) ..I'm not upset, I was just confused; I didn't understand your arguments.

I'm just trying to help out, I think this Duel Filter Kit is great if you think the stock system isn't doing a good filtration job. Like I said before, it's designed to bump the pressure up a bit.

Now i put my word in:

First there is huge difference between ways taking oil pressure. You can take oil pressure fron two sources 1. before oil filte; 2. after oil filter. in vlads link you will get a lot of problems if you have stock oil pump. in the long parked hours when your car haven't been moved or start, and you will start it up and here you are no oil pressure for a long time about 3 seconds and i'm talking about not bad wheather not -20F. When it's really cold don't even try to start your car, you wont have presure for really long time :blink: But in overoll you get exelent filtration max oil pressure that you can get when your car is worm up.

But what I'm talking about the same filter Vlad showd in his link not the hole system but only filter and put in instead the stock filter. you get only half performense but still beter that original system.

If you put two filters in parallel you will lose LESS pressure across the pair than just one. Now, if you put two in series, you're screwed.

BTW, not sure how the stock setup is, nor have I really looked at the link, but it's not a good idea for ALL of your oil to run through the filter; if it gets clogged, it's better to have dirty oil in your engine than NO oil in your engine, hence most oil filter setups bypass about 15% of the oil anyhow.

The best thing you can do for your oil is either use a FramGuard ToughGuard filter, or a Mazda OEM filter. These two use a silicon valve to keep oil in the engine after you turn it off, instead of letting it all drain into the oilpan.

If you put two filters in parallel you will lose LESS pressure across the pair than just one.

That's exactly how this duel setup is..you could use OEM Mazda filters with this kit, it doesn't come with filters anyway. Therefore, the oil will not be drained down, since the silicon valve is there, so in fact you'd have plenty of oil pressure when you first start your car.

kakarot, I don't think there are any negative consequences of this kit.

I think there is ,and is that you extend oil lines. no matter how good your valve is you still will have oil lines empty in the morning. When you turn your engine off oil is hot and is more liqued and no valve will hold it back.