Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blind Freddie

Faq

7 posts in this topic

This Topic is FAQs. It was made to help new members to find the answeres to questions that they might have. If your have something to add, go ahead but try to make it clear and follow some sort of format. B)

________________________________________________________________________________

_

~Is 626, Mx-6 and Probe related??

Yes, the only differences are the body shells, even floor pans are the same.

________________________________________________________________________________

_

~ My car is running rough and/or stalling. What should I look for?

1. First thing to check is Throttle Body Boot (black accordion-shaped pipe) for cracks. As the rubber gets old it becomes brittle and no longer can flex with the engine creating cracks. These cracks can be only hair-line cracks but it

~ What is Economy/Power Switch for?

This is button modifies shifting points of the box.

Economy, that makes gearbox shift as quick as possible to 4th gear (low revs better economy)

Power, this makes the box shift at least past 3900RPM(i think thats the number).

when the car is cold the gearbox is in power-mode automaticly

when you plant your foot and the throttle position sensor sences throttle beeing 75% open, the box automaticly goes into power mode.

__

~ My car is not overheating but my coolant is boiling in the overflow bottle. Whats wrong?

If the car is not overheating it could be number of things:

1. your radiator hoses need to be changed(especially the top hose)

2. check your thermostat and replace if nessesary

3. you might be infact overheating but your temperature sensor is faulty. Replace the sensor.

__

~ There is a Horrible ticking from under may valve cover. What is it? How can i fix it?

This is your Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (HLAs) starving of oil. HLAs are essentially maintenance free and as soon as they start to tick they are supposed to be replaced. Unfortunately Mazda/Ford wants an arm and a leg for them. There is a way to squeeze some life out of them.

1. Pour some ATX oil into your engine. DO NOT USE A LOT, 300ML WILL BE SUFFICIENT. Auto transmission oil/fluid is VERY high in detergents so it will remove most of the gunk from the HLAs and anything else that oil has contact with. Drive on this oil mixture for a day or two, no more.

2. During an oil change, get yourself some engine flush(readily available at any Auto parts retailer) follow instruction on the can/bottle

3. Put new oil in.

If this procedure did not fix your HLA tick (not to be confused with injector tick which is normal) you ether will need to clean HLAs physically or replace them.

This procedure is not recommended for engines which have some oil consumption, as this will clean out all the gunk in piston rings as well, and you might end up using more oil and smoke badly too

Instructions on physical cleaning will be posted here soon

HLA Maintenance

This was seriously the most surprising thing ever. Anyone who ever complains of valve tap, THIS IS WHY.

This will show you how to clean out your rocker arms. It's not very hard, but it's worth it. The rocker arm can be taken off with the head still on the car, and it is documented in my "rebuilding head" project.

Tools need:

- Strong fingers to pull out HLA

- 18 gauge wire

Well, enjoy!

----------------------

Rocker Arm and HLA

The rocker arms just slide off the rail real easy. I figured there was no need for documentation. Just be sure to put them back in the same order they came off!!

Just take your fingers and pull the HLA out of the hole. There is a very tiny rubber o-ring, just try not to damage it.

img-60392-1-hla1.jpg

---------------------

Top oil passage

On he top of the rocker arm, there is a really small hole. This hole goes down to the center, and also branches off to go into inside and pressurize the HLA.

img-60392-2-hla2.jpg

---------------------

Cleaning

Take the 18 gauge wire and stick is slowly down the hole. It should fit perfect. It it's a little hard, wiggle it, it's probably getting all the crap out. It will push it all out the end.

After this step, place some compressed air (or mouth in my case ) over the hole and blow. Then, cover the big hole that the HLA goes into, and then cover the hole that the wire is coming out of. You'll probably get even more dirt out.

img-60392-3-hla3.jpg

--------------------

Bottom oil passeges

On the bottom of the HLA there are two oil passages. There need to be cleaned using the same procedure.

img-60392-4-hla4.jpg

-------------------

Repeat!

Ok, that should be good for 1 rocker arm, now 11 or 15 more to go!!

This was my dirt/carbon pile after ONE ROCKER ARM. I don't know how oil was ever getting there.

*note*, if you plan on installing the rocker arm assembly back in the car right away, before putting the HLA in the rocker arm, fill the hole up with fresh oil, then insert it.

img-60392-5-hla5.jpg

-------------------

HLA Cleaning

Now that you got all the gunk out of the oil passeges it's probably a good idea to clean out your HLA resouvior.

once removed clean the HLA thouroughly in wd-40, maybe even let them soak overnight. once they are cleaned, on the back side of the HLA there is a little spring loaded bearing, with something small in size depress the ball and at the same time depress the HLA to remove all old oil and contaminants.

------------------

HLA Refilling

next step after old oil is removed is to refill with new oil. to do this again depress ball and compress HLA, while compressed submerge it in fresh oil and release the HLA this will inturn fill it up.

thats it now reinstall everything back to how it was.

------------------

Thanks to mrfunji and AdamTurbo from MX6.com for providing us the pics and info

Mazda 626 will not start after it has been driven for a while. I have to wait 2 hours and then it starts. All mechanics are stumped as nothing shows up in there test equiment.

~ My car is not overheating but my coolant is boiling in the overflow bottle. Whats wrong?

If the car is not overheating it could be number of things:

1. your radiator hoses need to be changed(especially the top hose)

2. check your thermostat and replace if nessesary

3. you might be infact overheating but your temperature sensor is faulty. Replace the sensor.

I've had this happen on a couple of vehicles. It's the radiator cap. A radiator cap has a blow off valve and a suck back valve. If the coolant is boiling in the bottle, your blow off valve is quite likely faulty and you are blowing steam from the radiator into the cold water in the bottle.

Mazda 626 will not start after it has been driven for a while. I have to wait 2 hours and then it starts. All mechanics are stumped as nothing shows up in there test equiment.

does the car quit while running - have high searching idle at times?(irregular)

this happened to my car last year and the mechanic said he replaced some kind of sensor/module/electronic thingy at the distributor. (ignition module)

it was snowy and i could get the car to start sooner if i cooled it off there with some snow.

i just checked pricing for that part and am appalled at what i was charged for the repair $450

part is $130 online probably an easy diy install

chilton manual says it only comes with the distributor - might be something to check

rebuilt dist. $150

mechanic will only see code if the car has not started since quitting