snailman153624

If You Have Had A Transmission Problem

169 posts in this topic

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

This is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration site. They force manufacturers to do recalls on a car if there is a consistent defect found in an automobile that affects the safety of the vehicle.

If everyone who has had a transmission problem registers here you might be able to force Mazda/Ford to recall the transmission and get reimbursed for past repairs, and possibly get a brand new upgraded transmission.

I encourage all of you who have had any transmission problems to register. B)

2 people like this

Did it. Also, FYI, there are currently 108 complaints about the 97 I4 Power Train: Automatic Transmission. I did not search on the other years (94-98), however, if we get enough people to sign up, we can perhaps get an open investigation and some kind of resolution to this issue.

Just registered complaint, so come on everyone, please do the same and reply to this forum that you did. It's up to us.

can we do this for distributors too?

Yes, but this is less likely to go through for a couple of reasons:

-Only '93 and early '94 V6 models were primarily affected. If you have another year and are burning up distributors than most likely your problem is a corroded ground wire.

-These are much cheaper to replace than a transmission

-They have an updated part available. The tranny they put in there is gonna be the same ticking timebomb your old one was, just a new fuse.

Which area in that link should we register?

I'm not sure, as I didn't register [this doesn't apply to me in particular] so maybe one of the others can help you figure it out? -_-

I turned 16 earlier this year and within about a month of buying my car, my dad took it to have a transmission cooler installed. I believe he said that this was under warrenty or a recall or at least i am pretty sure that it was free. So, perhaps this problem has already spurred a recall, i dont know.

Thought i would add my $.02, in the event that it might help someone.

PS the car is an i4 2002 auto

in the early (94-97) 626 the CD4E tranny is the worst tranny ford ever made. the only thing you can do is add a tranny fluid cooler or a tranny temp gauge.

My friend's uncle just told me that he had 2 Mazda 626's that lasted him till 300,000 miles. One is 1998 626 2.0cyl and the other is 1995 626 2.0cyl. The 1998 was rear-ended, 1995 suffered from rust. So I I guess the tranny's on those cars were ok.

I can voutch for the 1998 not being ok, and your uncle probably is not abusive with his cars, the problem with the CD-4E is that there are barrels which are made of very very thing alloy which when the car shifts these smack together and most often crack or shatter. Most transmission shops will not even deal with them around here.

Just did mine, I live on a college campus, I had to walk a quite bit to get to my car - was well worth it...

Did an oil change a coupla days back on my 1996 626. After which I noticed a slight lurch everythime the car moved from idle.

Yesterday the car just refused to move on drive.. it just won't move forward.. the reverse seems to be working fine... any idea what the problem could be?????

Is my Trans Busted????? :( or could it be someting else??

1 person likes this

Hello all. I don't actually own a 626 just yet,but I'm looking into the transmission issues on them. I have the opportunity to get a friend's 1995 626-DX, but the OD has gone out on it. I have another friend that can install a tranny for me for $200, if I can provide the transmission, so now I'm looking at where I can find one fairly inexpensive.

I waited till last minute to file my taxes so I should be getting them this next weekend, and I'm only getting $1300 or so. Does anyone know where in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle/Tacoma area) that I can get a used/rebuilt transmission for less than that? Any particular links that you find most helpful?

Thank you all!

1 person likes this

Like the guy said "Mazda does know about this problem, and (probably under pressure) issued a bulletin (TSB -Technical Service Bulletin) telling how to correct this problem by installing a transmission cooling kit. Mazda owners are not being told about this TSB and as a result are faced with second or third transmission failures."

As I said earlier in this thread, right after my family purchased this car used, my dad was informed that transmission service had to be done. He therefore took it to the shop and, suprise suprise, they installed a transmission cooler. I do not know if we had to pay for this and will ask and edit this post; however, this seems to be something that Mazda atleast admits to now as my dad most likely did not research this on his own.

My suggestion, should it count for anything, is to look into getting it done under the TSB.

I'd take my 1999 mazda 626 with only 71k to the dealer to get inspect for a

check engine light, guest what, they say the car need a new transmission,

I'm ready to the fight with Mazda, sing me in....

I have a 2002 mazda 626; i just bought it less than a year ago - and already it needs a rebuilt tranny. I'm so enraged that mazda did not ever recall this car - and stopped making it due to tranny problems in 2002. Does anyone know a good way to fight this? I'm not paying for something that wasn't neglect on my part - - no car needs it's tran. fluid changed this often!!!! I'm going to call the NHTSA and Mazda Corp - this is RIDICULOUS! the dealership wants 3450 for a rebuilt factory transmission.

The best way is the NHTSA.... only problem is... if no one is injured, they are less likely to open an investigation... We really need someones car to catch on fire (sorry) and cause a little personal damage (sorry again to sound so terrible) in order for action to be taken.

So the best way is to report it, keep your reciepts, and hope that there is a recall and some of your money is credited back :mellow:

If you want to rebuild, go for an independant tranny shop. I had mine done for 2K (after tax) with some extra goodies to keep it running better B)

It wasent so much the tranny that caused Mazda to use a different transmission in 03. It was more of the power output was beyond that of the CD4E's limits :huh: Whats even worse is that the CD4E is being used on other cars :wub:

Other than that... the car is solid... If you know how to drive an mtx, its much better mechanically than the I4 auto :huh:

Hello, I have just purchased a 2001 626 4cyl. and have seen the talk of the transmission problems. I looked under the hood of my car and found what looked like a factory installed cooler for the transmission. Did this come factory or did someone put it in? I am wondering if I need to lookout for the same transmission problems I am reading about.

Chris :unsure:

Well...I went ahead and did it; bought a 1999 626ES with the 2.0 l 4, ATX with auxiliary cooler....seems to be running just fine and I am keeping an eye on things just in case. My question is - can you do an ATX to MTX swap on this car? I've seen the how-to's on the V6 but am not necessarily interested in swapping the motor as gas prices are high enough as it is w/out adding insult to injury. Besides, I'm not interested in racing this car, I just want it to run as good as it looks because it does look good. I'll post pics later on this week.

I went through 2 transmissions already and have expeirenced many of the problems other ppl have mentioned on this site. ^_^ I hate the 626. It's a money pit a only very few people can work on it.

only very few people can work on it.

if by very few, you mean anyone with a basic socket set and some a bit of mechanical intuition... then yes, very few people can work on it :P

oh, the manual helps too (just like every car B) )

--

from the sound of it... you hate the ford atx transmission.... :huh: