After a long winter, the trees are starting to bud and the race car is now basically buttoned up and ready to go! We have done quite a bit of work in the last month now that it has been warmer.
We swapped out the transmission to a spare used one we had as our 4th gear synchro was starting to get crunchy.
The next major thing was to fix both the fuel filling and add a surge tank. To fix the fuel filling, we needed to gain more venting of air for the tank as fuel is dumped into it. We had originally thought that the stock '98 vent that was connected to the carbon canisters and such would be a direct vent. But it turns out that it creates a weird air pocket that I think a) doesn't allow the tank to get totally full, b) creates a pocket of positive pressure (compressed air) and c) never allows the fuel itself to flow out of the vent/overflow line to our designed catch can. With the tank out over the winter we were able to drill a direct hole into the tank and vent through the existing fitting. We then tee'd that line off to create a larger vent that can be manually opened and closed during fueling. Seems to have worked as we tested by pouring a full jug (21 litres) in approx 20s with little to no overflowing from the filler tube.
We also added a surge tank to solve fuel starvation and try to get a full 2 hour stint out of a tank. We debated as to where to put it but decided that the engine bay was best to keep a good firewall between it and the driver. We think it will eventually go into the rear wheel well but want to take some more time to make a cover for it and such. Custom made aluminum cube (5" approx) with mounting tabs on the bottom. Fuel in from oem tank, return to oem tank and return from fuel rail are all into fittings into the top of the tank. Fuel out to engine is via fitting in the bottom of the tank and runs through a Bosch external pump and in line filter before going to engine. In the end, the brass fittings into aluminum bungs weren't as solid as we would have liked, so they were supplemented with some JB Weld.
We also installed a float valve that turns on a light when it drops about an inch. The light on the dash says pit now as there is about 1-2 laps of fuel left in the surge when it goes on
Next we turned to giving the car a once over and found a few things.
For starters, the front coilovers had the boots all torn up from getting caught between strut and springs. The bump stops were also pretty beat up. Ordered some new bumps and boots. After disassembly I found the bump stops still had some life left in them, but we were definitely hitting them at times. I THINK I was bottoming out as I entered T5 at Mosport. There is a big uphill compression in the brake zone and can clearly hear some squeaks/groans/rubbing in the videos. We will keep an eye on it for future, but maybe stiffer springs is in order.
And, FINALLY we wore out a set of brake pads! They had approx 50 race hours on them, not including test days. We got a bit lucky as the inside front pads had nearly zero pad material left. Interestingly enough, the front inside pads are more worn than the outsides. Not sure why... we replaced the calipers with new (consider these as a yearly consumable) and installed a new (only bedded in) ST-43 pads. Rears still have plenty of meat on them.
We also replaced the front wheels studs with some longer studs they are pretty nice at 70 mm in length and with easy thread ends that will make tire changes a breeze!
So with all of that being said, the car will go out for a shakedown next weekend then we will do final prep for our first race of the year.
Pretty excited for this one. For starters it's as Watkins Glen and we have never been there. And secondly, we have a guest driver coming with us. Trying to get his 626 itch scratched, we have @RacerX coming to drive with us. Is going to be awesome meet another one of the 626.net members!