• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

barcode47

barcode47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 2 litre Auto 1988
I have a 626 auto and I dont think the overdrive is working. I press the button on the shift and I get no difference in revs whatever speed I am doing when I press it. The orange light on the instrument cluster comes on but as I say I can feel no difference.
Also when the orange light is on , is the overdrive on or off.

jpit

jpit

• Premium Member
  • 1,942 posts
  • Car: 1997 626 4Cyl 2.0 auto
When the light is on, the O/D is off. You should be able to tell if your car is in O/D(4th gear) just by counting the number of times it shifts while you increase your rpm from a stop. Do another test. With the light on and travelling at 50mph, depress the switch to turn the light off. You should see a noticeable reduction in rpm. If not then you are probably correct in a assuming your car never goes into O/D. Check your ATX fluid level and check the color. It should be red.

alxneeds2gopee

alxneeds2gopee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 ES v6 2.5L Auto
are you sure that if the hold light is on means o/d is off? i thought that if the hold light was on the o/d is on cause if you start the car up don't it reset itself to normal?

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,757 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

are you sure that if the hold light is on means o/d is off? i thought that if the hold light was on the o/d is on cause if you start the car up don't it reset itself to normal?

I think we're confusing the "Hold" and "O/D OFF" lights. The Hold light (correct me if I'm wrong, I have an M/T, never had owned an auto) just keeps it in gear longer, or something to that effect. The O/D OFF light tells you that you have Overdrive off (and is warning you) and you will suffer from poor fuel efficiency and increased engine wear.

alxneeds2gopee

alxneeds2gopee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Car: 93 Mazda 626 ES v6 2.5L Auto

I think we're confusing the "Hold" and "O/D OFF" lights.  The Hold light (correct me if I'm wrong, I have an M/T, never had owned an auto) just keeps it in gear longer, or something to that effect.  The O/D OFF light tells you that you have Overdrive off (and is warning you) and you will suffer from poor fuel efficiency and increased engine wear.

oh alright LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users