• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

rds

rds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Car: 96 626 4cl auto
How do you properly remove check and clean the EGR. I did a search but couldnt find any info. (search wont accept 3 letters)

blackshine007

blackshine007

Mazda 626.net

• 3,161 posts
  • Car: 1994 626 LX KLZE
Cleaning it is quite simple, providing that you have the right tools. It's best you use some compressed air, some TB cleaner and some safety goggles. First off, you want to take off the thottle body by removing the 4 bolts that hold it down and disconnect the various cables, connectors and hoses that hold it down.

(you don't have to remove the intake manifold from the car, this is for illustration purposes only)
Posted Image

Now disconnect the the EGR hose and the EGR position sensor connector wire. Before removing the unit, make sure that you do a vaccum check to assure that it's holding a vaccum('98 and newer models don't have to worry about that, being that it's electronicly controlled) Once that's done, unbolt the two 10mm bolts that hold it down and don't worry about replacing the gasket, it's metal and is reusable for life.

Posted Image

With the EGR off and in your hands, very slowly spray some TB cleaner into the EGR valve with the holes pointing up and let it sit like that for the time being while you are doing other work (I'll get to that in a second). Letting the throttle body cleaner sit and soak will break up any carbon that might have built up within the valve and cause it to slightly stick open and cause the eratic idling.

Now, back under the hood. Sometimes, the EGR passages get caked up with carbon, especially the V6 models and especially the Millenia 2.5L engine. Take your TB cleaner and spray into the hole on the IM. Spray until you see something coming out of the EGR passage where it bolts up at. The TB cleaner should be soaking within the carbon deposits and loosening it up.

Now that you have sprayed passage down, take an air chuck and blow into that passage within the IM and hold your hand over the plenum hole so it don't blow back on you. If there's pressure, it's clogged pretty bad. But if now, you'll hear it come out of the EGR passage.

When the hole is unclogged, put everything back together (make sure you empty out the TB cleaner from the EGR valve and reinstall it) and disconnect the battery negative and hold down on the brake for about 10 to 15 seconds to reset the computer (if you have a factory radio, make sure you have the code ready before doing). Now crank it up and you should be ready to go.

Good luck B)

jpit

jpit

• Premium Member
  • 1,942 posts
  • Car: 1997 626 4Cyl 2.0 auto
Nice write-up!

Mx400ex72

Mx400ex72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 LX Auto I4
whats the EGR?

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,738 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

whats the EGR?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation - It cycles part of your exhaust back into the intake to reduce emissions.
  • Zeyad likes this

jason

jason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626 4Cly auto
do you know if the throttle body gasket is reuseable as well? :huh:

shaundarbie

shaundarbie

• Premium Member
  • 1,826 posts
  • Car: 1998 626 LX, 2.0L, Manual
I guess you *could* reuse it if it's still in good shape, but it can't be more than a few bucks--definately worth replacing while you're at it. B)

hman

hman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Car: 1997 Mazda 626 ES
Anyone have any pictures? Just so i know exactly what i am removing? Thanks.

renatonetmail

renatonetmail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Car: 1997, Mazda 626, 2.0L, Automatic
Ok.. here are some pics (check the links next to --> )

EGR below the throtle --> http://www.timbacuba...ine/engine9.jpg
EGR Close UP (throttle above) --> http://www.timbacuba...ne/engine10.jpg

kizznipp

kizznipp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Car: 2000 mazda 626 lx auto 4cyl. Gone New ride 02 Rsx-S
is that blood on the black hose in the 2nd pic? :ohmy:

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,738 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

is that blood on the black hose in the 2nd pic? :ohmy:

"I love it...when...the...red water....flows.." :lol:

I'm sure the pics helped out, but damn put a bandaid on before you start snappin' pics!

renatonetmail

renatonetmail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Car: 1997, Mazda 626, 2.0L, Automatic
its blood...yes my blood...i cut myself trying to clean the THICK AS HELL coat of dirt on the throttle body as well as the plate (what cuts me) with carb cleaner and q-tips..it burned as hell cuz of the carb-cleaner... :angry:

ohh well.... :lol:

newbie 97

newbie 97

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Car: 1996,lx,2.5l,auto
how likely is it that the egr solonoid is the culprit and how can this be tested!?

mazdajim

mazdajim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Car: mazda 626
I don't understand the reference to the factory radio and having the code ready. Could you explain.
See below.

Thanks

Quote: "When the hole is unclogged, put everything back together (make sure you empty out the TB cleaner from the EGR valve and reinstall it) and disconnect the battery negative and hold down on the brake for about 10 to 15 seconds to reset the computer (if you have a factory radio, make sure you have the code ready before doing). Now crank it up and you should be ready to go."

jpit

jpit

• Premium Member
  • 1,942 posts
  • Car: 1997 626 4Cyl 2.0 auto
Some radios required a code to be entered after disconnecting and reconnecting of the battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users