• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

laguirre

laguirre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Car: 2001 626 2.0 Auto
I need more amp output from my alternator and will be enhancing it. Anyone know the best way of removing the damn thing. I looked under the hood and it is down at the bottom. It appears like it could come up. I don't know. But a mechanic friend of mine told me to take my patience pills because it will come out.

Chthonian

Chthonian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts
  • Car: 2000 Civic EX
I did mine from under the car... broke my thumb doing it, but hey... :smile:

laguirre

laguirre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Car: 2001 626 2.0 Auto

I read the Haynes book and it did in fact say it comes out from the bottom. Remove the front transverse crossmember first. I don't know the level of difficulty or tools you will need though. If it is not that hard I would like to try and remove it though. I have some competition amplifiers from MTX that I would love to install.

Chthonian

Chthonian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

I read the Haynes book and it did in fact say it comes out from the bottom. Remove the front transverse crossmember first. I don't know the level of difficulty or tools you will need though. If it is not that hard I would like to try and remove it though. I have some competition amplifiers from MTX that I would love to install.

I didn't remove the cross member... and that's what I smashed my thumb on... B) so I'd suggest takin' it out... BTW... I did this at 11PM when it was 30 degrees out and I did it in about an hour... that includes jumping around and cussing out my thumb for breaking

Peer Lovell

Peer Lovell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Car: 1995 626, 2.0L auto
The manual calls for the alternator to be removed from under the car.
However, its actually far simpler to remove it from the top. Make sure the engine is cooled off. The only tricky part is finding the bolt under the alternator. Feel around and locate it first. Easy job.

Chthonian

Chthonian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

The manual calls for the alternator to be removed from under the car.
However, its actually far simpler to remove it from the top. Make sure the engine is cooled off. The only tricky part is finding the bolt under the alternator. Feel around and locate it first. Easy job.

there's an intake manifold in the way! I tried to get at it from the top but I could barely get my arms down there to loosen the tensioner bolt...

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,727 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
Maybe he meant the V6, I dunno.

blackshine007

blackshine007

Mazda 626.net

• 3,161 posts
  • Car: 1994 626 LX KLZE
It doesn't matter which way you decide to get the alternator on the '93-'97 models; we don't have a reciever/drier to fight with and can also change the oil filter from there as well. The '98 and newer alternator has to be changed from the bottom, hands down. along with the filter. Our reciever/drier sits behind the grill in front of the car and have no other worries from it as far as basic maintenence goes. As far as that bolt goes, it takes practice and a racheting wrench to get that bolt from the top perfectly

Chthonian

Chthonian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,202 posts

It doesn't matter which way you decide to get the alternator on the '93-'97 models; we don't have a reciever/drier to fight with and can also change the oil filter from there as well. The '98 and newer alternator has to be changed from the bottom, hands down. along with the filter. Our reciever/drier sits behind the grill in front of the car and have no other worries from it as far as basic maintenence goes. As far as that bolt goes, it takes practice and a racheting wrench to get that bolt from the top perfectly

w3rd... I was gonna say... no way in HELL my alternator was comin' out the top with the intake manifold still on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users