Photo

Finally Lowered The Rear End And Blacked The Lights.

Mazda 626 cut springs 1999 Mazda 626 LX

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

MikeinLA

MikeinLA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Car: 1999, 626 LX, 2.0L, manual, 2005 Mazda 6 Wagon S

I finally cut a coil off of the rear springs after watching one of DJ's videos and reading, reading, reading all over Google. 

I blacked out the tail lights and side markers and made some funky looking stripes on the head lights so I could see when the headlights are on. 

Now that I dropped the rear, I am really thinking about just keeping the 16" rims, BUT getting a way lower profile tire.  Not sure though. I like the 15" deep dish look. But the 16's would tuck rather nicely. I want to go another 1.5" in the front and rear from where it sits in the pics. Any advice? 

My car.jpg My car 2.jpg

She is dirty as hell! Our driveway looks like we had a mud bog up and down it. 

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,420 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap

The only reason we cut ND28's springs was because his lowering springs made the rear much taller than the front.  I don't know why they designed the springs to do that but it doesn't work very well on the 626/MX6 in terms of appearance.  Cut them so the wheel gap would be the same in the rear and front.  Yours looks like it's lower in the rear by a bit.  Now your wheel gap is smaller in the rear than the front.  Is this on stock shocks/struts and springs?  I like the blacked out look ND28 did that on his 626 too.  I like it.  It's different and doesn't make the car look ugly just darker. 

What did you use on the headlights?  VHT?  With the headlights slimmed down like that it actually makes your 5th gen look a little more like the 4th gen with a 5th gen front bumper.  Neat.  I wouldn't have cut them down that much though.  If you can redo it I would make the headlight section a little bigger and oval so that it replicates the 4th gen headlights.  That would be neat.  Just my opinion though.  The way you have it right now is probably cutting out too much light unless you're using the transparent VHT spray film.

How about some tint next to finish off the blacked out look.  Also you can plasti-dip the chrome trim and then you'll be really blacked out.  I think the wheels you have work very well with the blacked out look.  Looking really good congrats.  Don't forget to remove the Pepsi bottle from the roof next time. :)

MikeinLA

MikeinLA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Love the Pepsi Max man!  :thumbsup: lol

It was level until I put $20 in the tank. And yes it is all original factory springs and struts. They are shot all the way around. 

I plan on going a little lower once I figured out the rims, added some subs, and a wing, so the weight in the rear would be correct. 

I didn't want to drop the rear 2" then add everything and it drop to 3". I did like you said and matched the end of the spring to the coil above it, and cut directly above where the coil ended. 

It is soooooooo sweet to not have the hot rod look. And now, when I accelerate, the ass end doesn't dip down any more like it was before. When I get her set up right, I am going to stalk you DJ so you can help me with the right coil/strut set up to get the height I want to have on her. 

I am a little ways away still. Thanks! 

MikeinLA

MikeinLA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Hey DJ,

Do you or anyone else know where you can get a image of our cars like what a kids coloring book looks like with just the black outline? 

I wanted to get a black line image of my car to print it out and draw designs on it. Do you know anything like that on the net? 

MikeinLA

MikeinLA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Sorry, missed a part. It is the Rustoleum headlight spray. With the VHT clear. Auto Zone did not have the VHT tint spray. I have to redo the headlights because I sprayed the clear too soon and made a mess. You can't really tell with my cell camera, but the tail lights and corner lights turned out smooth as glass, with a nice shine. 

I plan on buying the pro plasti dip kit from https://www.dipyourc...m/Pro-Car-Kits/ . And spray "Everything" but the lights and glass. Then go back over the matte black with gloss red dip of some Mazda logos across the hood draping down the fenders. 

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,420 posts

There's an outline of the 3rd gen around here somewhere and the 4th gen can be had from the wiring diagram cover.  Unfortunately the 5th gen factory manuals don't have the car on the cover like in every generation prior to it.  It's just a blank blue cover. :(  I scrolled through the 5th gen manual and couldn't find any diagrams that show the entire car.  Sorry.  Might just be better to take a picture of your car and photoshop it how you want.

Honestly I'm not the right person to ask about suspension stuff.  There are many people here that have way more experience with it.  The only thing I've done is help ND28 with his project.  He was the one doing most of the work I just helped a little here and there and shot video of it.  If you want a specific height the best thing to do is get a set of adjustable coilovers (expensive) otherwise you have to be happy with lowering springs and cutting coils.  The springs are what dictate the height (at rest) more than anything else.

Oh and no stalking allowed.   I already have one and she doesn't like competition. :P

MikeinLA

MikeinLA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

LMAO!!!! You and ND28 made lots of vids together. Appreciate it. Wish I was closer to you guys. Would be cool. When are more video's on the euro ground effect kit coming? I have no clue what that is, but it must be a big thing based on your reaction when opening the box. 

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,420 posts

ND28 and I have made a lot of videos together but we've also done just as many projects off camera too.  I hope we'll be able to film more together in the future.  I have more fun when we do projects together than by myself.  Goes a lot faster too because he's a machine.

No idea when I'll get around to that project because it will cost me a good amount of money for the supplies needed.  The Euro Lip Kit is a big deal because it's the only body kit Mazda ever made for the 4th gen 626.  It was an option and there weren't that many produced.  It's a rare item even for Europeans to have.  The rarity of the kit, prohibitive shipping cost, and relative obscurity of the kit is the reason we assume I'm the only one in the US to have one.  There are only a few people on this site from Europe that have one let alone the US.  The only people that really know that it exists are the 626 enthusiasts.  Not even many MX6 enthusiasts really know about either.  It's almost an unknown item.  Hope that explains why I refuse to put it onto my car until I'm able to make a replica.  It's not something that is replaceable if it's damaged.  I can replace my 626 easier than I can the body kit.  Couple that with my European grille and I basically have a European looking 626 in the US.  Pretty neat stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users