3 replies to this topic

hedache

hedache

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 1999 Mazda 626 V6 A/T

Hey all:     

I recently purchased a 99 626 V6 A/T with 125,000 miles on it for my daughter. After driving for a while and then shutting off the car the key will not come out of the ignition. In my preliminary research, I found an article on the web with someone having the same issue and they were able to disconnect the battery for several hours and then the key came out. This has happened several times and each time after leaving the battery disabled the key will eventually come out.

Everything on the car is stock there are zero modifications. I'm a little baffled by this and by the symptoms, it almost seems like a faulty relay somewhere that is heating up and preventing the key from coming out until it cools down or if power is cut to it.

Anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks for any help anyone is able to give.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap

Probably a faulty starter interlock switch.  It's built into the shift lever on the automatics and ends up attached to the key cylinder.  Without that button being depressed by the shift lever (either in park or neutral) the key will not come out.  No idea why it's designed that way it just is.  Probably some security feature but what good is having a stuck key?

Yarbles

Yarbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Car: 2001 ES V6 auto

Probably some security feature but what good is having a stuck key?

It is designed to alert the driver to the fact that the car is still in gear. 

Kutcht1

Kutcht1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Car: 1993 Mazda 626 2.5L V6 Auto
Have you tried moving the steering wheel or did that lock also? If so, start the car back up and go through normal procedure after running through gears. This has happened to me and it will release.
TomK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users