• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

bmortimer

bmortimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 2001, mazda 626, 4 cyl, automatic
the problem of the grommet that holds the shift cable onto the shift lever falling or breaking off is very common. I found this out after getting a estimate from the dealer for 800 dollars. After researching forums online I foud that this should have been a recall however mazda created a fix for this problem that only costs 15 dollars. However once you buy the bolt you will still have to do alot of technical work and it also requirs the use of a grinder! Since most of us don't have these certain tools I researched the problem furthur. Once I watched the video I was able to locate the shift cable. You will have to take the air filter off to be able to access this area. I then went to a junk yard and looked for the "grommet" piece that attaches to the end of the shift lever. To my dismay the same problem was on the vehicle at the junkyard. However I discovered a quick and easy solution. All you need is a drill, codding wire, and a washer that will snuggly fit over the end of the shift lever. So, take the cable mantle off so you will have enough room to fit the drill. All you need is a 12mm sockett wrench to remove two bolts. Once the area is cleared, drill a small hole through the very tip of the shift lever. The hole needs to be closest to the end so that you can fit the cable and washer on the lever. Once you have drilled the hole put the cable on and then the washer. Slide the codding wire through the hole and bend back one end to lock the washer and cable in place. And you are done!!!! I hope this helps :) I saved myself alot of money

Roritor

Roritor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Car: 2002 Mazda Tribute Classic Traveller (LX, extra options), 3.0L Duratec V6, CD4E ATX with AWD
Pics pls!! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users