• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

wsdavidson

wsdavidson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 1998 mazda 626
I have a 1998 Mazda 626 4 cylinder. I had my timing belt replaced over 12,000 miles but less than a year ago. In June of this year I needed a new water pump. I took it to a different shop than the replacement of my timing belt to replace the water pump. 2 days ago I hear a revving noise and pull over and notice the bolt is off of the idler pulley. I drive it to the 1st garage thinking it was there fault but warranty was out. Have it towed to the 2nd garage and they said they never messed with the idler pulley but they did take off the timing belt to replace the water pump. I don't know much about cars but it seems to me that the 2nd garage is responsible. They are saying they are not responsible and I have over 2000 in repairs due to the bolt coming off or breaking off and they need a machine to get the bolt out? What is your opinion on this and what is the best route to take for the repairs. Thanks!

aleekat

aleekat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Car: 98 626 LX 2.0 auto
If your term "idler pulley" is correct, how can you see it with the covers in place?
$2000 to get a bolt out? Outrageous.
They may think you have an interference engine and have bent the valves or damaged the piston.

wsdavidson

wsdavidson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 1998 mazda 626
The bolt apparently caused other damage. Not sure at the moment what damage it caused. The cover on my car only covers half of the pulley.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water pump, idler pulley, timing belt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users