Going4300k

Going4300k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 97 626 v6 auto
Hi Everyone,

I have a 97 626 v6.

I have been trying to track down a couple of problems with my engine for a while now. Both problems seem to be related to running too lean and/or combustion temperature is too hot so I have been looking for vacuum leaks.

I am attempting to leak test all of the components that use vacuum. One component that I am not sure of how to test is the vapor canister or charcoal canister. The Haynes manual says to remove the canister, plug all of the vent lines then install a vacuum pump to the canister vent shut valve, apply vacuum (pressure) and make sure there are no leaks.

So I assume that the port where the vacuum hose connects leads to the vent shut valve. I plugged the other two ports (one on top and one on bottom) and used a vacuum pump to pull vacuum on the vent shut valve port. The canister will not hold a vacuum at all. The manual implies that it should but I have seen the manual be wrong many times before. The instructions say "vacuum (pressure)" does this mean use a vacuum pump to generate negative pressure or does it mean blow air in to create positive pressure? Do I have the ports identified properly? Can someone tell me if they have ever tested their canister and if it held vacuum? These things are about $40 to replace and I would like to be able to prove that a component is bad before I replace it.

I have seen some other discussions of vapor canisters on other vehicle forums but it seems like most other canisters have 4 ports rather than 3.

Thanks in advance.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,575 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
It should be negative pressure because it connects to the purge solenoid. I have a video on it though the V6 is slightly different but when it comes to the charcoal canister itself everything is the same. I don't go over diagnostics for the charcoal canister itself. I had a vacuum pump and additional cheap vacuum gauge on order but the pump never arrived and still going through an issue with the distributor over the billing of both.

I know it's not for the V6 but hope you get something useful out of it that you can relate to your V6.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: test, canister, vapor, charcoal, evap, vacuum leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users