Photo

My Clean, Soon To Be Restored '90 626Lx!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

z00mz00m

z00mz00m

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Car: 1990 Mazda 626LX, 2.2, auto
Hey all, I just wanted to share this good picture of my car. Back story, I found this car on craigslist whilst looking for a cheap gas-saving car. I paid about $1500 for it, as the owner (an elderly smoker) had passed away and her kin was selling it. It sat for most of its life in a garage for 17 years, not driven frequently but maintained. Had 95,000 on the clock. Due to the previous owner being a heavy smoker, I have spent diligent hours detailing the interior and it is super clean. I hope to post an interior shot later.

Unfortunately, these old garage deals aren't always as nice as they seem--the first few months I had a heck of an oil leak at the crank seal which seems to have resolved itself (mostly) now that it is driven regularly. Also has an intake seal going which requires me to change/clean spark plug #2 every 500+ miles or so. Other than that, and a new distributor last year (ouch), it has been running great and gets about 25mpg. Body is in fantastic shape and car has ZERO rust, inside and out! (well except for the factory original muffler/exhaust system from the cat-back)

Thanks for looking!

Plans:

New 15" American Racing Rims
New muffler
NEW PAINT JOB!
Front and rear bumpers fixed/replaced
Driving lights in factory original bumper locations

I love this car!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0425-1.jpg

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,451 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 V6 2.5L 1999
looks great, very clean for a 22 year old car!

Honestly the paint looks amazing as is, I imagine a nice polish and it'll be all set, I wouldn't put the money into painting it unless you have all the stuff to do it yourself.

The new wheels also look great on it, good choice they accent the car nicely.

Any plans for the ooo so much fun oil leaks?

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 12,566 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Nice paint job! Car is looking sahweet!

z00mz00m

z00mz00m

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks, I was thrilled with the wheels when I first put them on. And honestly, this picture really does make the car look amazing because the paint right under all the passenger windows and the roof and trunk, the clear coat is completely gone and paint faded. The hood and front fenders are still shiny like new! When it's wet it's really hard to tell. A family friend of mine has his own paint shop, but honestly the car is so nice and i Hate modern cars, I wouldn't mind putting the money into it, despite the insurance risks and what not. Also, if you look closely, you'll see the front bumper isn't 100% lined up--Granny hit something with it at some point, there's a nice gash on the other side. I also hope to get that fixed.

As for the oil leaks, they are really quite miniscule at this point and i don't have the tools or patience to do a valve or crank seal replacement. Major jobs--but when it becomes a problem, I'll probably get the engine overhauled.

z00mz00m

z00mz00m

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
(making use of my accidental double post)

Actually today, I sanded down and painted the windshield wiper arms. They were faded and rusty and now they look brand new :biggrin:

GT_FE3

GT_FE3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Car: panther black 1989 GD Hatch 5 speed fe3n
Its in great shape for its age, quite like the dark gray. Would you re spray it the same color? Any plans for lowness?

z00mz00m

z00mz00m

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
The more I think of it, it would look real nice with a slight lowering. I'm normally not into that...it's best I don't anyways with the roads around here in PA! And yes, I do plan to restore the original color

FADE26

FADE26

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Car: 1995 Mazda 626 2.0 5-speed manual ; 1994 Kia Pride CD5 1.1 manual ; 2012 Mitsubishi Grandis 2.4L Auto ; 2005 Nissan Sentra GX 1.8L A/T
love! those shiny wheels,..*drool*

GT_FE3

GT_FE3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Car: panther black 1989 GD Hatch 5 speed fe3n
Some regular low springs will do the trick. The set in my car are 30mm lower than factory. Low enough to look good and still easy enough to drive about daily and not having to worry about clearance issues and harsh ride. If you do plan on getting some, be sure to shorten your shocks. I didn't and mine seem to be okay (not worn, no leaks) 4 years on but some will wear out way before then.

Wiking

Wiking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Car: '91MX6 +'00 P5 Diesel
You don't need to shorten your shocks unless you lower it 50 mm. or more.

626Too

626Too

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 626 2.0
These cars sure clean up nice! Be careful about lowering your shocks. Anyways nice rice :)

lastexile

lastexile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX 2.0 I4 Mtx
I agree with GT_FE3, reducing that wheel gap would make it look nicer imo. Then again I can't stand wheel gap, lol. Like GT_FE3 stated above you don't have to do an aggressive drop, just enough to look good but still daily drivable and there are some decent priced springs out there that will do just that. Other than that car looks real good for its age.
  • z00mz00m likes this

z00mz00m

z00mz00m

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
yeah, the more I think about it it definitely would look nicer with a smidge lower. If it's as easy as changing the springs, I'm certainly open to the idea! I don't want to have to mess around with the shocks or do anything too labor intensive. Can anyone point me in the right direction, a tutorial or parts and such? Thanks for the feedback guys.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,452 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
yea. you can just slap on some lowering springs. its really up to you how much you want to get into it. but i think most of us started with just springs at some point. lol

i dig your car. probably just cause its the exact same color and year as my 90 626GT i just sold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users