Satoh Tractor With A Mazda Engine!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,964 posts
  • Car: 06 MS6 GT, 03 P5 KLZE swap (ish)
I was out today helping my dad look at a tractor he found on Craigslist. I don't really know anything about tractors, but I wasn't uninterested in learning about them, so I said why not.

It was a Satoh Bison S650-G the guy had for sale. He immediately commented on my truck and was happy to meet another Toyota lover, and was one of the more interesting people I've met off of CL.

On to the tractor, apparently they were made from the 60's to the 80's, thought they weren't on sale in the US until the 70's, from what I've found after a bit of preliminary googling. He popped the hood up and almost right away I noticed what I thought was the old Mazda logo cast into the side of the motor.

Posted Image

I'm not sure if Satoh was a division of or simply a different marquis under which Mitsubishi Agricultural Machinery sold their products, but at any rate, they were related. It appears that the animal part of the name indicates the manufacturer of the motor, as the Beaver (I, II, and III), Buck, Bull and Bison were all Mitsu powered, the S550-G Elk, and S650-G Bison were Mazda powered (only ones with 'G' in the name), and the S750 Stallion ran an Izusu motor.

A manual lists two different Mazda motors available for the S650-G, the PB, a 4-cyl gas 978cc OR the TA/TB, a 4-cyl gas 1169cc. I'm not sure which one this one had, or how to tell the difference.

Here it is. The guy hadn't started it since March, and after reconnecting a wire he'd knocked loose, it started right up. I was really amazed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some more info I found on it, copied from various sources:

"I have a Satoh S650-G that came with a repair manual for the S550-G that also lists all the specifications for the S650-G. It states that the engine is a Mazda Model PB 60.2 cu in(987cc)."

"I also have a Satoh Tractor S650G. I've done some digging and your correct, this motor was only used in Yale forklifts back around 1971 through 1973(other than this tractor that I can find). I have found part numbers for the points (same as Mazda RX3 1971-73) and distributor/rotor (same as Yale forklift truck same years,71-73). NAPA got the parts for me."

"Need other parts? Ask your napa man to look up (whatever within common sense) parts for a 1971 Mazda 1200 Truck. I found the oil switch buy providing my napa man with all the maintenance part numbers I had so far. Each and every one had an application for this 1971 Mazda 1200 truck. Using that we found the oil switch and the oil switch works."

"Satoh Bison S650G

Tune up and oil change: $110.25 (Ignition, oil and air filter)

"they told us it was a 25HP Mazada engine # S253534
year between 1970-1972"

My Motor Plate States:

60.23 Cu In. 27HP/2800RPM

"I have the original Mfg. brochure for Satoh S-650G
It states Max output 25BHP
Max PTO output 23 @ 2800 rpm
Max PTO torque 46.9 ft.lb./rpm @ 2400 rpm " - from other postings

Bill @ Valley Power - Call toll free 1-800-609-5110"

Zepticon

Zepticon

• 2,299 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 GT 2.5 KL31, Mazda RX-7 FD 13B-REW
did he buy it? awsome to restore that one :D
  • VoxCoania likes this

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,964 posts
He and his friend and thinking it over. I think restoring it would be awesome, but they want it for the brush hog to clear some property, so I don't think a restoration is in its future, unless I get it some day. ;)

Zepticon

Zepticon

• 2,299 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 GT 2.5 KL31, Mazda RX-7 FD 13B-REW
well if they get it then you gett it eventually

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,964 posts
Good point, I may have to push him that way, then. :lol:

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
That's really neat to see that logo on something else other than a car. Actually I just got a T-Shirt with the logo from eBay with that logo for my purge solenoid diagnostic video (uploading tonight). I really like that retro logo. Thanks for posting it and taking pics. Really neat stuff Prince!

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,629 posts
  • Car: 1988 626 GT ----- 1995 MX-6 LS
That is really cool. No idea that they had engines in tractors. Kind of a small tractor for a bush hog, but I guess it depends on the size.

Speaking of interesting finds, there was a 1974 RX-2 in a barn near my parents apparently. Has been there for 25 years. A friend of mine found it and bought it. Pretty cool find as well.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,964 posts
Yeah, I had no idea either. I'd always kind of secretly hoped that there was some industrial Mazda stuff out there, like how there are Toyota forklifts, for example.

The brush hog is 4 feet wide, I think. They just need it to clear about a mile of car width path, and a ~15 acre field, so I think it'll do the job, and the price beats the heck out of anything else on CL in that size range.

That's really neat to see that logo on something else other than a car.

I know, I did at least a triple take, and racked my brain for any other company that could have possibly used that logo! Hopefully I'll get more cool stuff like this now since my phone has a pretty decent camera, and I don't lug the dSLR around everywhere!

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,964 posts

Speaking of interesting finds, there was a 1974 RX-2 in a barn near my parents apparently. Has been there for 25 years. A friend of mine found it and bought it. Pretty cool find as well.

I don't even know what I would do if I came upon a situation like that, I'd probably just pass out. I take it it was in good shape?

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,629 posts
A 4ft one should be fine then. I'm going to guess a single speed PTO?

It was a bit dusty, but definitely in great shape. I have no idea about the interior, but the guy who got it has too many RX's. He should let some other people join the club :(

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,964 posts
I'm not sure. The seller didn't pretend to know a whole lot about it as he hadn't used it that much, but he said he only ran the PTO on low, so he made it sound like it worked on the range shifter. The sticker was worn off the brush hog about what the safe speed range was.

Yeah! I'd love to be in the RX club, but the last thing I need is another money hole!

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,629 posts
Well, you would generally run it in the lowest PTO gear (it is the norm for it to be a single speed) and crank up the engine.

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,464 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 V6 2.5L 1999
Prince thanks for posting that sunch an awesome read :D I honestly didn't even know mazda did tractors at one point

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,964 posts

Well, you would generally run it in the lowest PTO gear (it is the norm for it to be a single speed) and crank up the engine.

I talked to my dad about it, and while I had been looking at the owner's old 4Runner, he was explaining how it's a 2 speed PTO adjusted with the PTO lever. He always ran the brush hog on low, though, and didn't know if it was rated for high. I'm assuming the regular hi/lo drive gear works independently of this.

Prince thanks for posting that sunch an awesome read :D I honestly didn't even know mazda did tractors at one point

Sure, I love this kind of quirky thing! Mazda didn't do the tractors, it was Mitsubishi, they just used Mazda motors on a few models.

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,629 posts
Usually bush hogs aren't rated for a high speed because they require a good amount of torque. I've accidentally started the bush hog in the high gear and it certainly does not like that.

I asked my friend who works for a small engine shop (lawn mowers, generators, string trimmers, etc) and he knew exactly which tractor I was talking about. Apparently his grand father knows where to get certain parts for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users