• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

trj

trj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Car: 2000, 626, 2.0l, auto
Bought a used 2000 mazda 626 with driver's side headlight bulb bursted.

Tried to replace without reading any instructions and screwed up. I lost the screw that holds the headlight bulb retaining spring to the housing.
I couldn't find any step by step instructions as well. If there is, I apologize and request mods to delete this thread.

Hence, this DIY.
Sorry no pictures because I was doing it in the parking lot of the hardware store and didn't have camera on me.

Edit: I took the pictures of the already assembled headlight unit so the process is more understandable to anyone who is searching this information.

Tools: small phillips head screw driver.
Bulbs: Your choice, I went with sylvania.
Screw: Short 6mm thread metal screw.

The screw is a 6mm metal screw, in case anyone is looking for one. I went to mazda dealer and asked them for the screw since I didn't know the specs and didn't want to remove the one from the other side. They said it comes with the whole headlight assembly. WTF? Am I going to buy the whole headlight assembly to replace a screw? F no.

Went to hardware store, bought a couple of metal screw of various threads for a dollar and 6mm fit perfectly.
However, I would like to mention it is one of the most ridiculous headlight bulb holder design. Not intuitive at all. Took me almost an hour to figure out how to put that spring back on.

Tip for the users who get stuck on the headlight bulb replacement like me:
Passenger's side is a bit lengthy process since you have to remove the expansion tank.
Driver's side is easy.

Disconnect the headlight harness by pressing two tabs and pulling the connector out.

Posted Image

This is how the back of the headlight will look like once you disconnect the connector.

Posted Image

Remove the rubber boot from the housing. You will see a yellow phillips head screw towards the turn signal side.

DO NOT remove the screw completely.
Notice how the bulb orientation is, the bulb will seat there properly in only one way.
Just unscrew it about 2 threads and compress the spring and release it from the opposite side of the screw.
Compress the spring and unlatch it from the opposite side of the screw.
Swing open the spring like a door hinged at the screw.

Posted Image

remove the bulb.

Place the new bulb in. The bulb will seat in only one way, the 3 prongs of the bulb face upwards, meaning there won't be any prongs towards the underside of the car.
Close the spring like the door.
Compress the spring and latch it on the opposite side of the screw.
Put the rubber boot back on.
Put the connector back on to the bulb.
DONE.

Now to clean the yellow oxidation:

I used turtle wax headlight lens restorer. around $8. No drills, dremels or rotary needed, just your fingers.

Comes with paste to clean and spray liquid and sanding pads if the paste doesn't give desired results.
Just the paste worked for me on my mazda. However, I tried the spray liquid on my other car fogs. Worked like a charm.

The instructions are clear on the packaging and works like a charm.
So for people who are using toothpaste and what not to get the headlight shine back, give turtle wax headlight lens restorer a try.

Put the paste on a clean cotton cloth.
Scrub like crazy on the yellow lens. One lens at a time.
Wipe it off.
If it doesn't give you a desired result:
Go ninja with spray solution and sanding pads according to the instruction.

PlastiX has a headlight lens restorer liquid which I use regularly on my other car. So now its going to be plastiX every car wash and if it gets yellow again turtle wax headlight lens restorer is there.

Enjoy.
  • djdevon3 likes this

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 13,908 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Moving to tutorials section. Add some pictures and this can be entered into the tutorial contest. ;)

trj

trj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Moving to tutorials section. Add some pictures and this can be entered into the tutorial contest. ;)

Wish I took the pictures when I was doing it. But as I replaced the headlight bulb in the parking lot of the hardware store didn't really think to take pictures.

May be later in the evening I will just take pictures of already assembled headlight and post it.
:)

trj

trj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Updated my post with some pictures, although not the greatest pictures I guess the message should be clear.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 13,908 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap

Updated my post with some pictures, although not the greatest pictures I guess the message should be clear.

Pictures look really good. Congrats you're now entered in the contest and eligible to win a $30 gift certificate just for writing a tutorial. Thanks for contributing. :)

Tiberianx

Tiberianx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Car: 1996 Mazda626 ES V6 2.5L Auto, 2012 Nissan Rogue S I4 2.5L CVT
Looks a lot different than the 93-97 626 headlight assembly when replacing the bulbs. You actually had to remove the expansion tank just to get to it? that's nuts :blink: . On our 93-97, we have 3 disc cups each side, looks much thinner/different than the one you have in the pic and plenty of room to replace I think 2 of the 3 bulbs on each side. I think the high beam ones are little tricky because they're tucked under the center plastic cover. Buying an entire headlight assembly of 93-97 costs twice as much as the 98+ models, assuming it's because it comes with 3 lights instead of 1 in one assembly. Turn signals included.

I got a question: does those 98+ 626s headlights have high beams built into them? Not sure how it works, I only see one bulb inside it and its different kind of bulb than the older models.

trj

trj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Looks a lot different than the 93-97 626 headlight assembly when replacing the bulbs. You actually had to remove the expansion tank just to get to it? that's nuts :blink: . On our 93-97, we have 3 disc cups each side, looks much thinner/different than the one you have in the pic and plenty of room to replace I think 2 of the 3 bulbs on each side. I think the high beam ones are little tricky because they're tucked under the center plastic cover. Buying an entire headlight assembly of 93-97 costs twice as much as the 98+ models, assuming it's because it comes with 3 lights instead of 1 in one assembly. Turn signals included.

I got a question: does those 98+ 626s headlights have high beams built into them? Not sure how it works, I only see one bulb inside it and its different kind of bulb than the older models.

The bulbs on 98+ is a single bulb with double filament. One for low and one(or both) for high beam.

Roritor

Roritor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • Car: 2002 Mazda Tribute Classic Traveller (LX, extra options), 3.0L Duratec V6, CD4E ATX with AWD
My '01 Platinum edition has two sets of bulbs: one set for regular, one set for high-beam. Both single filament.

zanlok

zanlok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 2001 626

I did have to remove the water overflow to access the R side light assembly (2001). But, it was two simple 8mm bolts, remove cap and set aside, easy as can be. The pics in this post really helped me sort out how that crazy shaped spring clip goes back in. Thanks very much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlight, bulb, lens, screw, spring, restoration, shine, yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users