• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

AndyVegan

AndyVegan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Car: 88 MX6 na-t3t4 5 speed
everytime it rains my trunk gets wet. it doesn't have holes in it or anything obvious like that. what could be causing this? i end up having to take the drain plugs out underneath the spare to get rid of the lake of water gathered there haha

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,575 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Use a paper towel to find wet spots in the carpet. Follow it to the leak. You might have to tear up the carpeting to find it. Usually it's from a lower rear windshield seal or trunk seal. Trunk leaks can be tricky to track down and there's no single place that it's likely to come from It could be anything exposed to the outside. A leak could be traveling a long way from where the leak actually is. You've got to get in there and figure it out.

AndyVegan

AndyVegan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
so its basically originating at the seals i'm sure. where can i get more of that?

Wiking

Wiking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Car: '91MX6 +'00 P5 Diesel
Tale a close look at your taillight seals. They are known to leak.

mike060

mike060

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Car: 1990, 626 DX, 2.2 non turbo , manual
I do not get water where my spare tire is, but I do get it on both side compartments where the jack is stored. I have worked with all seals ( replaced trunk lid seal, tail light seals ) and it did not help. Although that could still be your problem. Mine got significantly better when I tightened down the trunk lid. I opened the trunk and looked down at the latch. I loosened the bolts and moved it down a little. So when I close the trunk lid it will be tighter. The trunk is harder to close but not too bad. It helps a lot with the heavy rains we get in houston. I know it leaks a little but I dont really worry about it.
My car does not have any visible body damage, but it has been rearended many times. That may have something to do with it.

aleekat

aleekat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Car: 98 626 LX 2.0 auto
Had the same issue. Pull all the carpet up from the trunk. Buy some really cheap talc/baby powder. Sprinkle it on the verticle surfaces. Close the trunk. Just do one side at the time with a garden hose. The water will leave a "snail trail" in the talc. You can't see it but the trunk "gutter" acually has a welded seam, its then sealed with some rubberized compound then painted over.(this is where mine leaked) The rubber gets hard and brittle. I used some 30yr silicon housing chalk for exterior applications. You might find other sources of the leak.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,575 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Very smart idea. I was trying to think of something but only came up with paper towels. Very good suggestion.

AndyVegan

AndyVegan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
thats an excellent idea aleekat, thanks alot! i will be doing that on my next day off, sunday. also, isn't there supposed to be something under the carpet that keeps the bottom of the trunk flat? mine seems to be missing that.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
ive mentioned in other posts how to find your leak.

remove all the trunk plastic. and climb in with a flashlight. then have a friend outside with a hose run water along all the taillights, and around the lid. you will find the leak!

aleekat

aleekat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Car: 98 626 LX 2.0 auto

ive mentioned in other posts how to find your leak.

remove all the trunk plastic. and climb in with a flashlight. then have a friend outside with a hose run water along all the taillights, and around the lid. you will find the leak!

Been there, done that. It sucks. I won't take credit for the talc/baby powder. An old mech 30yrs ago. Also works in engine bay looking for leaks.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
my mazda6 when i bought it had a trunk leak. the dealership i bought the car from had it twice trying to fix it. then it was sent to the local mazda dealership. after 4 trips, it still had a leak. i finally gave up on them, and found the leak, and fixed the issue in like an hour of work. lol.

Wiking

Wiking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Car: '91MX6 +'00 P5 Diesel
Have you checked your wheel wells for rust? Rust in the rear wheel wells is the main reason for GD's being scrapped overhere.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
its pretty typical here in the midwest of the states also. my last probe (same chassis) i actually had to rebuild mine out of fiberglass cause i was getting snow and slush in that side trunk area every winter, and was making my rear window always fog up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users