Leaking Brake Fluid

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

tmayne215

tmayne215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Car: 2000, 626, 4cyl manual/ 02 mazda tribute v6/ ( R.I.P 02 Mazda Protege)
Im leaking brake fluid and am having to refill the resovior every week or two....There are no signs of it leaking from what I can see what could it possibly be? Bad brake booster? Any sugestions?

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,683 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Brake booster is a vacuum line I believe. If fluid is disappearing it's certainly leaking somewhere. You just have to find the leak.

Welcome to Mazda626.net

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
check all the lines themselves. also each wheel well itself cause it could be the caliper or drums also. and then check on the inside of the car by your
pedal area on the drivers side under the dash. your brake master cylinder could be bad. which will usually leak on the inside down the firewall.

klwong1

klwong1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Car: 1994, LX, 2.0L 4CYL, Auto
Same issue here. I've followed all the lines and cannot find a leak, yet I too am having to refill the reservoir every so often when the dash brake light starts to flicker.

4thgenceli

4thgenceli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Car: 2002 Mazda 626 2.0
The brake system is sealed. If you have to fill it it's leaking out somewhere or your brake pads are worn down so far that the caliper/piston has to extend further (thus requiring more fluid).

Check the calipers for leaks. If you have rear drum brakes check the pistons as well back there. If you haven't changed brake pads in a while change them for new units. If there are no visible leaks and the pads are in good shape chances are the master cylinder is borked internally (seals) and this won't display any external leaks.

How does the brake pedal feel?

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
^
exactly. brake fluid doesnt just disappear. it has to be leaking from somewhere. your best bet is to have a friend get in the car, and hold the brakes down and keep them held down while you go over all your brake equipment with a flashlight. the leak is there. its just on you to find it. and there's only 3 places it will really leak. the lines, the master cylinder, or the calipers/drums.

MazRedMan

MazRedMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Car: 98' 626LX 2.0L (4cyl) ATX 'Lazer Red' color
Check the the interior side of tires (side facing the underside of car) and tire well to see if any sign of fluid lost.

If you can't find the leak, then it could be leaking from the interior of the rear hub (...inside has small piston- type mechanism). While driving, the turning of the tire can cause the fluid to leak out or 'spin' out...at stop, may not be noticed. Good luck!

tmayne215

tmayne215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanx, i will have to check out all those suggestions.. Today i would say i Lost my clutch, the clutch was really spongy! and i literally had to force my car into gear, could these problems have something to do with each other?? (had to drive my tribute today,smh)

4thgenceli

4thgenceli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

thanx, i will have to check out all those suggestions.. Today i would say i Lost my clutch, the clutch was really spongy! and i literally had to force my car into gear, could these problems have something to do with each other?? (had to drive my tribute today,smh)

Not in my experience with manual transmission vehicles.

There are usually 3 cylinders, brake master cylinder (where you top off the brake fluid), clutch master cylinder (appears to look like the brake master cylinder just smaller with only 1 line coming out) and the clutch slave cylinder (on the transmission). On my toyota, the chance of both of these going out at once is basically impossible unless something rips all the lines off the firewall.

tmayne215

tmayne215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Not in my experience with manual transmission vehicles.

There are usually 3 cylinders, brake master cylinder (where you top off the brake fluid), clutch master cylinder (appears to look like the brake master cylinder just smaller with only 1 line coming out) and the clutch slave cylinder (on the transmission). On my toyota, the chance of both of these going out at once is basically impossible unless something rips all the lines off the firewall.

I hate to find out that im the one exception,where both have failed. Im currently in class(being very productive.lol) So I'll try to find out where the leak is coming from when i get home.A friend told me i could get a dye put into the brake fluid to find the location of the leak. And for my clutch issues,is there any more suggestions, prolly be my weekend project.

tmayne215

tmayne215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
To inform y'all i found the LEAK!! its coming from the clutch pedal(in cabin by the firewall),,if that makes any sense.. After topping off the brake fluid again,and pumping the brake like a mad man,i got it to go in gear..it drives fine from the lil bit of driving i did.. Just need to figure out what i need to fix

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
the clutch and brake master cyl's both SHARE fluid. so if it gets below a certain point, you will lose brake pressure AND clutch pressure. which is probably what happened to you.

it sounds like your clutch master cylinder is your failure. which is actually good news for you as thats about the easiest thing it could be to fix. the clutch master cylinder costs under $30 at any auto parts store. and it only is 2 bolts to replace. :)

tmayne215

tmayne215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yea Its the master cylinder,seal in the cabin must of finally given up.. so Its a lil DIY fix,is there anything I need to know if I go ahead and do it myself

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
not really. hardest part is your going to have to bleed the clutch. but its the same as bleeding brakes if you have done that before. but its even easier because its only 1 line.

if you can afford it. id actually replace the clutch slave cylinder also. there pretty cheap also. and even easier to replace. and at that point, your entire clutch hydraulic system will be brand new. you can even get a braided stainless steel clutch line for our car from corksport for like $20 shipped. in the end you can spend about $60 and have a fully brand new set up, and even get a performance gain out of it. :)

4thgenceli

4thgenceli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

the clutch and brake master cyl's both SHARE fluid. so if it gets below a certain point, you will lose brake pressure AND clutch pressure. which is probably what happened to you.

Good to know. My Jasmine isn't, there are separate reservoirs for the clutch line and brakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users