Photo

Sensor-Ship. F*#@! S#%*! Wut's Wrong With My Car??

Sensors ECT HEI Modification Coolant Oxygen Spark Module Igintion Stalling

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

bhkrause

bhkrause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car: 99 626 LX V6 mtx
ECT test can probably be done on the car too, at least on the 99 it is. The leads are accessible, either probe the plug or just take the plug off and test right at the sensor connectors.. Just relate the ambient engine temps to the sensor temps (cold engine = room temp, hot engine roughly 180 - 200 ). Infrared temp sensor works great in these situations. :)

If the engine is cold (completely cold, like overnight), check the ECT resistance reading against the input air temp sensor reading. They should be pretty close (+/- 15%).. If the engine is warm, they'll be skewed. The IAT sensor should match up to the chart up above tho.

CKT sensor test shown below. Oh, and I had "cleaned" my CKT sensor plug as well, turned out that that was the problem. After I unplugged and replugged it about 3 times the car started starting. Never underestimate the crankiness of electrical connections..

Also - what part of the country/world are you in and what are the temp/weather conditions? May help explain part of your start/no-start conditions too, related to temp sensor..

Attached Thumbnails

• ckt test.JPG

McAnic_Chad

McAnic_Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 5spdManual
There has to be a way to replace that crank sensor without removing the pulley. I refuse. lol Based on my own experience I've learned that there is more than one way to remove/install a car part.

McAnic_Chad

McAnic_Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Another question, Why does my water neck have a second sensor on it that my harness will not fit. There is one that is towards the front of the car (black) and another, that the harness fits, towards the firewall. (Gray) They look as if they are shaped the same and are the same size but the harness only fits one of them.

bhkrause

bhkrause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car: 99 626 LX V6 mtx

There has to be a way to replace that crank sensor without removing the pulley. I refuse. lol Based on my own experience I've learned that there is more than one way to remove/install a car part.

Did you test it already? What were the results?

McAnic_Chad

McAnic_Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
After I cleaned the connectors My car drove fine for about a month, then it stalled again so I figured I'd made a bad connection again so I cleaned it again, but this time, I started the car and wiggled the Crank Sensor plug that I just cleaned and the car shut off. I stared it back up, wiggled it again, and it shut off... Wire shortage. I searched and found where you could see some of the copper poking through the rubber. I haven't fixed that yet but I will get some butt connectors and fix the connection. But for now if it cuts out, I just wiggle it until it stays running. Gets me from A-B.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 13,877 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Replace the wire using solder & heat shrink OR terminals and crimp tool. I would make sure to add a rubber grommet or small hose around the wire in the area where it's prone to rub. There are all kinds of creative ways to make sure the wires won't rub through again. Good catch. Now that you've found the issue you'll be able to fix it np. Good job.
  • McAnic_Chad likes this

McAnic_Chad

McAnic_Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the help & pointing me in the right direction.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 13,877 posts
Thank you for keeping your 626 on the road and not junking it because of 1 simple issue. ;)

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,690 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
Hah! I guess my last suggestion was right after all.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 13,877 posts
Don't sound so surprised. You're advice is 99.9% top shelf. I always assume you're right until (rarely) proven wrong. You're just that good. You make my brain work overtime to think of reasons why you could be wrong. Out of like the last 3000 posts I think I only stumbled upon one when I disagreed with you. Wish you would post more or maybe you choose your fights more selectively. I'm like a whack-a-mole and you're like a precision guided bomb. :P

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,690 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
Thanks for the complement, I really was a little surprised that it turned out to be the issue though!

I've gotten stumped by my car a few times, but have always eventually figured it out. Sometimes things just don't match the typical pattern for a given failure mode.

McAnic_Chad

McAnic_Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Now, I was hardheaded & I kept wiggling the wires every time the car would cut off... now I'm stuck at Walgreens across from my job. I think that the sensor finally gave out.

McAnic_Chad

McAnic_Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Now all I need to know is where the sensor actually is up under the car. I looked but I didn't see it.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 13,877 posts
The crankshaft position sensor is behind the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer).

McAnic_Chad

McAnic_Chad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, I found my problem after all that replacing and cursing and stalling and stumbling.... The harmonic balancer itself was bad. After replacing that my car runs like a BEAST!!! At least I shouldn't have trouble with that anymore. The little teeth on the pulley activate the crank sensor and once it goes bad it'll wobble and cause misfire. I replaced the pulley and plugs and this thing is amazingly fast! With 200k+ on the meter I pull away from just about every car at the lights... ������ I miss my BMW but this 626 just became a fine substitution. I'd suggest anyone with a dated kl motor with spark trouble check that pulley for wobble. Mine wobbled for a whole year & I never thought anything of it until it rattled & the car wouldn't run.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sensors, ECT, HEI, Modification, Coolant, Oxygen, Spark, Module, Igintion, Stalling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users