Photo

Is Seafoam Gas Cleaner Corrosive To A Fuel Pump?

seafoam fuel pump additives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

pocketcat29

pocketcat29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Car: 2000,Mazda 626LX,2.0L, auto
I know that Seafoam has many positive properties related to how it can remove water from the gas tank or clean fuel injectors. I was curious if anyone has had a fuel pump go out after using the product? I started using it while investigating idle issues with my 2000 Mazda 626. I used about 4 16 oz cans over a 3 month period and then my fuel pump failed. I have several cans of this stuff and would like to get benefit from it. Perhaps I used to much too soon or it might not be at all related. Any feedback on the affects of gasoline additives like Seafoam on the fuel pump are appreciated. Thank you.

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,465 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 V6 2.5L 1999
pocketcat, to be honest I'm not really sure. But I can tell you max I would recommend it is doing it once every other oil change, it really shouldn't be that a necessity, and if it doesn't fix a problem the first time, chances are the 2nd,3rd, and 4th won't help much either.

Also if you put part of it in your fueltank while it was on Full it shouldn't be a problem, but if it close to empty empty, its possible to be problematic that since it is in fact a foam. Fuel pumps are made for gasoline and too much foam in at once could have potentially damaged your fuel-pump. I only ever did it once to my mazda626, and I only once did a half/half kerosene engine flush (kersones engine flush's are pretty hardcore, but not adviseable due to the problems it can potentially cause)

How did you use the seafoam when you did these treatments?

pocketcat29

pocketcat29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Car: 2000,Mazda 626LX,2.0L, auto
I had used the product during gas-ups. Usually, I would put the seafoam in first while the tank was about 1/8 to 1/4 tank and then top off with gasoline. I don't recall ever adding without gas up's. During the time I found help on Mazda626 about cleaning the IAC which ultimately resolved my idle issue. I was using seafoam because I had suspected that water had entered my gas tank either from a loose gas cap or from bad gasoline at the pump. I think the timing of the fuel pump failure and the use of the seafoam might be related. I still have some seafoam and your comment on doing it less frequently makes sense. Thanks for your feedback!

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,683 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
I believe directions indicate 1/3 can for a full tank of gas and should only be used sparingly. It's an additive/solvent/detergent. I'm unaware of any scientific testing to see what happens with too much use. That data is unavailable as far as I know. I would be interested to see that data though. It's funny that automotive products don't have testing data freely available as a PDF download or something like that when everything else in the car is so reliant on specifications. Makes you wonder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: seafoam, fuel pump, additives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users