Photo

White Exhaust Smoke @ Startup---Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Wallytuesday

Wallytuesday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 1997 Mazda 626 Auto
1997 626
135,000 miles

Hello, First time poster here needing some help please.

I'm getting a new car in a few months and need a temporary fix.

When I start my car in the morning white smoke comes out of the exhaust. This happens after any cold start. I've read some postings and think I have symptoms of a blown head gasket? I have to add coolant quite regularly as well as oil. I added Bars Head Gasket Sealer last weekend and am still having issues. I would typically not add something like that to a car but am only needing a temporary fix.

Any cheap, quick fix, suggestions on how to eliminate the white smoke?

Thanks in advance for any help.

alucard

alucard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Car: 2002, 2.0 i4 FS, manual
i'm afraid for what you're describing there is no quick fix, white smoke at startup indicates burning coolant, and that in turn means either a dead head gasket, a warped head or a small crack in the block... none of which are easy to fix, maybe start by doing a compression test and noting if there are any low compression cylinders... also do you drive the 2.5L v6 or the 2.0L i4?

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 12,632 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
liquid gasket/radiator sealant should be illegal in my opinion. i would have advised against doing that. alucard hit everything else on the head.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,573 posts
  • Car: 06 MS6 GT, 03 P5 KLZE swap (ish)
What preceded this situation? Did you buy the car like that, or did your radiator fan go out and you overheated it? Do you have to add coolant to the overflow jug or the radiator? How does the smoke smell? If it's coolant, it will be a sweeter smell, and burnt oil will smell much different. Smoke on a cold startup can just be condensation in the exhaust. If you've really got a blown gasket, it will smoke the entire time the engine is running, or until you run out of coolant. You can always pop the rad cap (when it's cold) and to see if you can see oil in it. If coolant's gotten in the oil, it'll be milky when you take out the oil cap.

A compression test will you for sure, though.

alucard

alucard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Car: 2002, 2.0 i4 FS, manual
if it is a small enough crack/warp/other misdemeanour, it could be solved by the expansion of the metal in the engine sealing the crack or warp... thus leading to the symptom only being prevelant on startup... in theory at least thats how it works...

Wallytuesday

Wallytuesday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

i'm afraid for what you're describing there is no quick fix, white smoke at startup indicates burning coolant, and that in turn means either a dead head gasket, a warped head or a small crack in the block... none of which are easy to fix, maybe start by doing a compression test and noting if there are any low compression cylinders... also do you drive the 2.5L v6 or the 2.0L i4?

Thanks for the feedback...2.0L i4

Wallytuesday

Wallytuesday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What preceded this situation? Did you buy the car like that, or did your radiator fan go out and you overheated it? Do you have to add coolant to the overflow jug or the radiator? How does the smoke smell? If it's coolant, it will be a sweeter smell, and burnt oil will smell much different. Smoke on a cold startup can just be condensation in the exhaust. If you've really got a blown gasket, it will smoke the entire time the engine is running, or until you run out of coolant. You can always pop the rad cap (when it's cold) and to see if you can see oil in it. If coolant's gotten in the oil, it'll be milky when you take out the oil cap.

A compression test will you for sure, though.

Good question...not sure, I'm the original owner. The radiator fan is still working. I add coolant to the overflow jug. The smoke has a slight oil smell to it. I'll get a compression test and report back. Thanks for the feedback.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 12,632 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Have a compression test done and if necessary a leak down test at the same time. Compression will tell you there is a loss. Leak down will tell you exactly where which is a big help.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,573 posts
  • Car: 06 MS6 GT, 03 P5 KLZE swap (ish)
The coolant jugs are known to crack and leak as they age, so that could account for your missing coolant. If the exhaust smells like oil, then it's less likely that you have an issue with the HG. The 2.0L FS is known to burn oil, typically because of sealing problems with the rings. This thread has more info on that.

http://www.mazda626....king-tail-pipe/

Mine burns oil, too, and it's not enough to really cause a huge problem, I just fill it up every month, or few months, depending on how much I drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users