23 replies to this topic

MarineE6

MarineE6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Car: 98 Mazda 626, 2.5 V6 DOHC, Auto
Hey Guys
Newbie here! I got a 98 626 2.5 v6 DOHC. Both Gaskets are leaking. I was wondering if I should replace all gaskets I come across, or hold fast to the cliche' "if it aint broke don't fix it". If I do need to replace anything, can anyone lead me to a good price on a gasket set or what not. If I can avoid replaceing anything other than the VCG, how can I tell if other gaskets need replaceing. Been fixing my own cars since I started driving , and being 29y I have had everything from CV joints to Oil Changes(brakes are in there somewhere and one VCG without the 626 mess on the back VC, LOL). I don't know how long the car was sitting on the lot before I bought it in 2010. But, the word was that the owner babied it. The dealer is a well trusted guy, so I believe him to a certain extent. Oh, and before I forget, can anyone give me a time estimate on a DIY job. Thanks guys!

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 12,518 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
You can get a set from RockAuto. If you're valve cover gaskets are leaking then they are broke so that cliche' doesn't hold up. Broken valve cover gaskets means the PCV system might not work properly. As long as it's a minor leak probably nothing to be concerned about but you do want to get them fixed.

http://www.rockauto....&parttype=10710

Welcome to Mazda626.net MarineE6!

AUDIOADDICT02

AUDIOADDICT02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Car: 1994 626 2.5L V6 auto
I got these, seem to work just fine(also used black rtv sealant): http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f05f27943

Did it in a few hours, so it's not very difficult, just make sure you don't break any vaccum hoses/fittings when pulling off the intake manifold, also don't overtighten bolts as they break too easily.

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,280 posts
  • Car: 1988 626 GT ----- 1995 MX-6 LS
Took a while to find this thread because you posted in another one and someone moved it I guess.

I think you misunderstood DJ. He meant as in any other gasket he comes across (throttle body gasket or intake manifold gasket) if he should replace them.

I'd personally get the other gaskets. Most likely, the throttle body gasket will tear. I'd also get the intake manifold gasket since those are metal. I'd definitely replace as much as you can, possibly going as far as the camshaft seals (maybe too advanced). I agree with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but what you would be doing is preventative maintenance. I don't remember what other gaskets, if any, you run in to. I do have the factory service manual, so if you need any detailed instructions I can provide them.

Welcome to the forum!

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 12,518 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Oh duh you're right. Sorry. Definitely the throttle body gasket. I've replaced 2 in the past 8 years.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,552 posts
  • Car: 06 MS6 GT, 03 P5 KLZE swap (ish)

But, the word was that the owner babied it. The dealer is a well trusted guy, so I believe him to a certain extent. Oh, and before I forget, can anyone give me a time estimate on a DIY job. Thanks guys!

It wouldn't matter if he babied it or not, as every KL I've ever come across in the junk yard has a leaking front VCG. I didn't check the rears, but that gives you an indication that it's sort of common. I have a running joke with my friends that all Mazdas either leak or burn oil, but at least they're consistent, lol. ;)

I wouldn't know what to tell you for a time estimate. I haven't done a VCG replacement on the KL, but I work super slow and check everything about 3 times. I've had many 45 minute jobs turn into a week, though, between waiting for parts I didn't know I'd need, etc. Just be prepared, and don't rip into it a 9pm the night before you have to go to work.

And welcome to the forum!

suspiciousmind

suspiciousmind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Car: 2002 626 2.5L auto
I just did my rear vcg about a week ago and i had about six hours with a trip to get tb cleaner and egr cleaning (which i recommend) thrown in.
I suspect the front will take another hour.
Mine's an '02 and if yours is the same, ....
There are thirteen main bolts holding the intake on. The thirteenth is the upper of two on a bracket in the rear driver's side which is invisible...i think i used a 12mm deepwell socket on a 3/8 drive ratchet and it wasn't too bad once i found it.
Keep track of all those hoses and connectors!!Here's a few pics I snapped with my phone while I was in there if you're interested.... http://s534.photobuc...CG-egr project/

blackshine007

blackshine007

Mazda 626.net

• 3,158 posts
  • Car: 1994 626 LX KLZE
Let me put this out there...... if you have any oil leak from any gasket, 9 times out of 10 it was caused by a bad PCV valve. If you change your VCG's, then please change the PCV as well. I have had the same VCG's on my motor since I bought the motor back in '06 and it has been doing just fine because of me constantly changing the pcv.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,552 posts
Does the valve just clog up and force it out the VCG? All of the leaking I've seen has been right on the front by the rad.

MarineE6

MarineE6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
WOW Thanks Guys! I appreciate the responses. I am the big picture type so your pics and advice are going to go a long way for me! I will keep you posted!

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,552 posts
No problem. I'm very visual, also, so I know where you're coming from. My friends and I draw pictures when we're describing things. :P

hant9925

hant9925

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 V6 LX 2.5 Stick Shift
I have a brand new valve cover gasket for sale if you need it. $15 felpro. Car died before I could install it. Let me know

MarineE6

MarineE6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
PrinceV and blackshine, I checked my PCV. What you guys were saying could make some sense to why my VCG are already going out. They weren't as bad as they are now when I bought the car but I saw that I would need to get it done. Didn't get a chance to really look at it but I think I will take the time to get it changed any way.

Hant, I really appreciate it. Is it front or back? For 15 bucks I have a feeling you are just talking about one. Either way, if you can let me know I can make a decison on what I am going to do.

Thanks Guys, I am very gald this forum is alive and well. Great Minds think alike, Right. Very Grateful for all of the Responses and Warm welcomes.

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,280 posts
  • Car: 1988 626 GT ----- 1995 MX-6 LS
I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but I scan the pages of the service manual that will show you step by step on how to change the valve cover gaskets.

MarineE6

MarineE6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Xeno, Yes that would be very cool. To give back, I was planning on doing a step by step photo thread to change these VCG buggers. Hopefully if I can get to it before it gets cold I should have it up before the end of the year. Money, unfortunately hinders this process. I'm NOT making any promises on the time frame, but I do want to have a Photo thread dedicated to this painstaking process. Thanks Again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users