• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

m626er

m626er

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Car: 2003 Ford Focus SE/I4 2.0/ATX
Just when i finish fixing something, something else comes up, i noticed my 3rd brake light stays on, any ideas?

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Does it come on when you start the car or hit the brake pedal for the first time? Could be a brake switch. If it's just the 3rd brake light and not your tail lights then you'll need to get a multi-meter out and do some back probing. Do you have a spoiler with integrated brake light or just the 3rd brake light in the rear windshield? The manual refers to that as the high-mount brake light by the way.

Pull out the METER fuse and see if that kills it. Then pull out the STOP fuse (most likely). If so then at least you know what circuit it's on.

Check the connector in the 3rd brake light bulb housing (2 wire connector) and make sure it's snug. A constant light from any individual or all brake lights could mean a bad ground. If it's just 1 brake light constantly on then is probably a loose ground in that connector or wiring harness down the line. Follow the lead back to where it grounds out and make sure it's got a good ground. I doubt it's the brake light switch as that would probably cause the tail lights to be constantly on or off too.

m626er

m626er

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
just seems to be the 3rd brake light i notice it on when i drive but i was against the building and i pressed on the brakes and the lights lit up bright on the tail lights, so where is this brake switch? BTW i got no spoiler.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
The brake switch is located at the top of the brake pedal lever. There should be 4 wires going to it (cross formation). The top wire should be battery positive voltage. The bottom should not. They will switch when the brake pedal is depressed. Therefore, if you've got positive voltage on the bottom wire without the brake pedal depressed replace the switch.

Please note the attached diagram is for no light troubleshooting. The procedure should be the same but you want to find voltage where it shouldn't be right? Right!
Note: this is from the 1995 service manual. I don't have the body electrical troubleshooting manual for the 97.

Posted Image

m626er

m626er

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
right on i'll check it out and get back to you.

m626er

m626er

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
well i checked the fuse the fuse was ok, will check voltages when i get home cause i dont have multimeter with me

m626er

m626er

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
went out for a drive, realized that the 3rd brake light goes bright as i press the brake, but i noticed other 626's in my area that the 3rd light dont stay on......

brandonmw

brandonmw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car: 00 mazda 626 2.0 atx
the third BRAKE light is just that, it should only function as a brake light not a taillight, thats odd, i dont know what would cause that.

m626er

m626er

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
well when i press the brakes the taillights, and the 3rd brake light illuminate brighter, but it seems that the tail lights are already brighter, but it could be me....it maybe my brake switch, anyone know the average price of a brakeswitch?

DaveB

DaveB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Car: 2000 ES 2.0 manual
I could be wrong, but doesn't this double as he trunk light? If so, it could be the trunk switch.

brandonmw

brandonmw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car: 00 mazda 626 2.0 atx
hmm yes, the trunk light does shine through into the brake light up there, thats a good call, i'd check that and make sure that light goes out, could be sticking on.

alucard

alucard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Car: 2002, 2.0 i4 FS, manual
are you sure you've got the right light bulb? should only be a single filament bulb in there, sounds like you have a double filament bulb?

tjvjr

tjvjr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car: 96 MX6 V6 5 speed
Since it gets brighter when the brakes are pressed that almost rules out the brake switch but the trunk light staying on and partially illuminating it makes since. Check the bulb and see if it is hot as soon as you open the trunk or remove the bulb to see if that is the cause. It could be a ground issue as well, but not sure what would try to go to ground in that circuit other than the parking lights but if that was the case it wouldn't come on unless they were on.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
You can let the back seats down and see right in there for that kind of test too. ;)

m626er

m626er

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
I know that It did not do this before and I did not change any bulbs so that can be ruled out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users