• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

ReyG

ReyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Car: 1997 Maza 626 ES V6 2.5L
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum ran into it randomly while searching for possible solution to my car problem but i think its great that their is a forum just for this specific kind of car :)

Now the problem i am having is i purchased my 1997 Mazda 626 ES V6 2.5L and it started acting funny so i got it checked and they said it was misfiring from 1 so i changed the spark plug still no change i then proceeded to change the ignition coil and it ran a little better but i brought it back and it was still misfiring for the same place. What I'm wondering is what is my next possible place to check for problem i was told to change my fuel injector that leads to the misfire? i will take any suggestions Thanks

NickR

NickR

• Premium Member
  • 3,408 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX V6 mtx
Spark plug wires are a common source of problems on these cars. And most of us have found that the NGK blue wires are the best.

ReyG

ReyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
So could i used the same wires on the car to test out if it is that specific wire? They all look brand new but who know it could be

Spark plug wires are a common source of problems on these cars. And most of us have found that the NGK blue wires are the best.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,358 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
A leaking fuel injector could cause a misfire. They are not cheap to replace so I'd have them cleaned first. Look for a local place that does "sonic cleaning".

There are plenty of other reasons for a misfire though. Burnt, carbonized, or worn valves. Worn or damaged rings. It's best to take care of the things that you can do before requiring a mechanic to tear open the engine and figure out what is causing it. Whenever a mechanic has to go into an engine you're automatically looking at a new valve cover gasket ($20-$40), timing belt $50, water pump, and fixing whatever is causing the issue. While he's in there might as well replace any faulty HLA's. Easily looking at $200-$300 anytime a mechanic has to open up your engine. So do what you can before that. If it comes to it a mechanic will have to look in there.

ReyG

ReyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for the info i wish i knew more about car i have a feeling its the fuel injector cause i've tried almost everything but i can't find a video guide on where they are or how to remove them. If i found out how to do this i might be able to remove the fuel injector and find out if that is the problem. One other thing do you think i should bring it somewhere to do a diagnostic test?

A leaking fuel injector could cause a misfire. They are not cheap to replace so I'd have them cleaned first. Look for a local place that does "sonic cleaning".

There are plenty of other reasons for a misfire though. Burnt, carbonized, or worn valves. Worn or damaged rings. It's best to take care of the things that you can do before requiring a mechanic to tear open the engine and figure out what is causing it. Whenever a mechanic has to go into an engine you're automatically looking at a new valve cover gasket ($20-$40), timing belt $50, water pump, and fixing whatever is causing the issue. While he's in there might as well replace any faulty HLA's. Easily looking at $200-$300 anytime a mechanic has to open up your engine. So do what you can before that. If it comes to it a mechanic will have to look in there.

ReyG

ReyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
How could you tell if the fuel injector is leaking anyways will it be noticeable?

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,758 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
While it's possible that a clogged injector could cause the problem, I would still focus on the ignition system first, as this is the most likely culprit.

Wires can "look" new but have over 100k miles on them. They do wear out over time, they're carrying 50,000 volt electrical discharges an average of 25 times a second or so. I would also at a minimum clean out the distributor cap (scrape all of the corrosion off the terminals), if not outright replace it. Same with the rotor button.

You can test the wires, should be something like 4-6 kOhms of impedance per linear foot. I would also try the "spark in the dark" test, where you spray some water mist (from a spray bottle) around the spark plug wires with the engine at idle, in the dark, and see if you start to see sparks and light flashes....if you do, the wires need to be replaced.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,358 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
This will give you a good idea as to what happens inside your cylinder when you have a leaking fuel injector.

Unless your injector is cracked and spewing fuel out of the side of the injector then the only way you'll notice it is in how efficiently the engine runs.

First thing to try is changing out the spark plugs and plug wires. Recommend NGK for both spark plugs and plug wires. In other countries they call them HT or High Tension wires just FYI, here in the US we call them plug wires. So far the majority of the misfire topics I've come across have been solved by getting new plugs and wires.

If you've done that then it's time to have your injectors tested.

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX

So could i used the same wires on the car to test out if it is that specific wire? They all look brand new but who know it could be

yes, switch the #1 wire with another (i.e.#3) and see if the misfire follows the wire....i.e. miss on #3.

tjvjr

tjvjr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car: 96 MX6 V6 5 speed
Good advice , a "dead miss" is usually ignition related as injectors cause rough idle/running unless it is stopped up completely or the internal coil ( or other electrical problem ) has failed.

ReyG

ReyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions i brought it to Mazda to be checked and they said it had something to do with EGR??? no idea what that is. I'm also looking for an oil pan for my car if anyone has any suggestion on site to purchase one

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX

Thanks for all the suggestions i brought it to Mazda to be checked and they said it had something to do with EGR??? no idea what that is. I'm also looking for an oil pan for my car if anyone has any suggestion on site to purchase one

Your EGR has nothing to do with a misfire! Have you followed the advice given? The dealer will soak you around $400 and you'll be the "next sucker"!

ReyG

ReyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I believe you bro they called me saying it would be $2900.00 dollars to fix everything i will be picking the car up tomorrow and getting the paperwork that tell me what exactly i need i know my oil pan is leaking and i am going to order one for 40 dollars sometime today and install it myself if its not to hard. I'm going to try taking out the fuel injector that is used for the first cylinder if anyone know which one that is please let me know and thanks everybody for all the advise once i get the car back i will be fixing it up myself cause their is no way i'm paying almost 3000 dollars.

Your EGR has nothing to do with a misfire! Have you followed the advice given? The dealer will soak you around $400 and you'll be the "next sucker"!

ReyG

ReyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I know its not the wire because i tested this the way you advised and it was still misfiring so the next step is to test my fuel injector.

yes, switch the #1 wire with another (i.e.#3) and see if the misfire follows the wire....i.e. miss on #3.

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,758 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

That's not entirely true; EGR problems can cause a misfire, as it will lean out the mixture if the valve sticks open, particularly to the cylinder that has the EGR port closest too it. If the mixture is too lean, it won't fire reliably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users