Photo

1989 Telstar Hatch Resto/mod/build Thread.

• Please log in to reply
321 replies to this topic

GT_FE3

GT_FE3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Car: panther black 1989 GD Hatch 5 speed fe3n
So you may have already seen pictures of my car lurking elsewhere on the internet. I thought I would share my build with you. My cardomain has over 300+ pics of it so far in various stages - have a look if you want to see progress unfold step by step, I won't be transfering them all here. I don't know if anyone else is still into GD hatches, I still am (lol I always liked them from day one, literally. I probably always will be.)

The first time I ever remember seeing a GD hatch was way back in 1990. It like mine was in Telstar form but in white and grey (I like the 626 just as much for the record.) I can remember looking out the window at it at a friends house and thinking "one day I will own a car like that."

So the story pauses here. Fast forward to early 2006. I get a ride in a stock black and grey Telstar, much like the one 16 years earlier. I know nothing about these cars yet. Apart from the fact that they are front wheel drive and they all seem to be carby. My dads friend driving it is putting it through its paces (winds out first - 60 km/h, then second just under 120 km/h - then he backs off. I'm thinking to myself wow this old thing goes pretty hard. He lets me drive it. As its not mine Im not so rough with it. Can't believe how fast this thing is. I hadn't seen the engine, the factory dohc badges were missing off the guards so here I was thinking its single cam carby. I also thought it was weird that a 1.8 sohc carby could move like that, this is beating my 4afe Corolla (although its slower than a wet week, but it was twin cam injected.)

Its getting dark when I finally get my first glimpse of the gold rocker cover with "FORD DOHC 16 VALVE" imprinted on it. So thats why its no slouch I thought. The guy is selling the car. I am liking that car alot. I tell him I am keen on it. A week later it is mine. Still like it as much as I did the first time I rode in it. I still like it as much as I did all those years ago in 1990.

As we all know with old cars stuff wears out. So why not get a slightly stiffer clutch? Or Slightly lower springs? Well I hated the stock 14"s from the start - I wanted the 15" standard 626 white swirl rims, but there were none for sale, I didn't plan on 17's but they looked so good I couldnt refuse.

So this is the classic sport hatch, now with extra zoom. Enjoy!! Comments welcome.

Stock:
2243704_27_full.jpg
Rims:
2243704_34_full.jpg normal.jpg
During painting (I am a carpainter. $1000 alone for paint, at cost price!)
Colour is PPG Deltron Pantherschwartz - panther black.
03-08-07_1011.jpg
03-08-07_1133.jpg

31-08-07_1349.jpg

Suspension assembly
susp assy.jpg
Engine replacement (damaged original engine block when broke headgasket)
GetAttachment82742.jpg

GetAttachment ngin.jpg
How she once was..... she will rise once again, better and stronger than ever......
22437040413_medium.jpg
That has to be one of my favourite pics.

And this is how she stands now. Rust cut out, plates welded in.
P1010062.JPG
P1010063.JPG
P1010069.JPG
P1010072.JPG
P1010070.JPG
Priming
P1010111.JPG
Also I am painting this.
Its made by Top Town - ultra rare AT Telstar body kit, never seen another one.
It is similar to Australia's Fibermaster one.
P1010089.JPG
bodykit 003.JPG
Only have rear bumper on, painting spoiler and sides off the car.
Currently have the C pillar in primer surfacer. Color annd clearing over the next few days.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010072.JPG
  • P1010115.JPG

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,629 posts
  • Car: 1988 626 GT ----- 1995 MX-6 LS
That is a great looking car! Looks like you put a lot of work into it. I like the louvers.

GT_FE3

GT_FE3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Thank you. Yeah the louvers always suited these cars.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Yeah excellent work. Gotta agree with those louvers looking really nice. Always wanted something like that for my 626. Might be just me but I think the front profile looks a lot like the older 90's ford mustang.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,965 posts
  • Car: 06 MS6 GT, 03 P5 KLZE swap (ish)
Awesome work, man! I love seeing people save cars from junk yards!

GT_FE3

GT_FE3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Thanks guys. Got straight into it after work. Took the fenders off cos cars always rot under there. I was surpised, it was really good under there all in all. Still sanded everything and the left side (rustier than the right) is now coated in black POR-15. Tomorrow the right side gets done. It was dark when I finished.
P1010132.JPG
P1010130.JPG
P1010122.JPG

sanded primed C pillar. Needed a better day for spraying.
P1010129.JPG

Believe it or not there are worse cars than this driving around. Although it was pretty average overall rustwise I don't think it was quite ready for the junkyard. Could have done a quick bog/bondo job, but I would rather have my car looking mint and done properly. I already did a quick bog up once before and sprayed a nice layer of paint, this time Im going to do it right. Should be good for another 10 years or so. Maybe if I still have it then I will do a total bare metal respray.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,965 posts
I really enjoy seeing the builds where people do things the right way. Have you had good results using POR 15? I've heard great things about it.
  • troll2fan likes this

GT_FE3

GT_FE3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
It seems to be good so far. Expensive stuff, thick texture. Just been brushing it on, so I only use it where water could get trapped lol don't want brush marks where they can be seen. Would spray it but I dont have a compressor.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
How does it act and feel like? Like Bondo? Seems like it would be some type of RTV resin. Neat product though first I'm hearing of it.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,965 posts
It's a paint for rust. I'm not sure if it chemically deactivates the rust (I know some of the products do), but it's supposed to seal it up and prevent it from coming back. As with anything rust related, it's just a matter of time. I think the finished product ends up like primer, which you can probably leave, but it's more protection and looks nicer if you paint over it with a nicer coat.

GT_FE3

GT_FE3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I think it works chemically - it reacts with solvents, it dosen't like prepsol and you just brush on over the rust (get rid of the flakey scale shit and degrease first.). I did both sides even though the rust was just top and bottom and I sparyed over with cavity wax. As it was just surface rust under there which I sanded off, that should be all good for a few years. Both sides are done now, it looks pretty good so far
P1010133.JPG .
Before I started.
P1010134.JPG
This is the lower left inner well. Both were in similar contion. I was part way through sanding. Now its all in paint.
Car currently;
P1010135.JPG
left side
P1010136.JPG
right side. Camera is now flat, if the weather holds out I am going to colour over the primer in the boot.

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,629 posts
  • Car: 1988 626 GT ----- 1995 MX-6 LS
I've heard so many good things about POR-15. My MG needs it badly and once I get into the MX-5, who knows. Those drain plugs like to get clogged...

Great work so far. It's nice that you are addressing them now before the rust eats it all away.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
Aww you need to redo the louvres. :( Nice wheels.

GT_FE3

GT_FE3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Im not sure what you mean about the louvers?

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
The slats covering the hatchback rear windshield. They are really great for keeping out the sun. In Florida and hot climates they help a lot to keep the interior cooler by not allowing the sun through the rear window. They also kind of act like heatsinks. You don't really find too many cars with them anymore because they do block a lot of the rear view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users