• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Quezz5

Quezz5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Car: 1989 626 2.2N 5sp
So, I was given a 89 lx and a little...disappointed with the selection of parts for it. I came from a racing background and not too into the ricey look or stuff that looks decent but doesnt necessarily give an advantage aerodynamically. My thought is:
  • Get a racing muffler and headers made, exiting in the middle of the rear
  • Metal plating on the underside, solid sheet from the firewall to the trunk
  • Rear diffuser starting from the end of the solid plate exiting 1'' off of the rear (meaning the rear bumper now needs to come off and a custom one made)
  • Solid plate from the front of the front bumper to the back side of the radiator
  • More plating added to help suction hot air from the engine compartment under car and out diffuser
  • Relocating the intake pipe to pull cleaner colder air
  • Hood reconstruction
  • Lower the car 2''
  • Lighter wheels while also looking for a better width/height combo
This is definitely going to be a longer project seeing as this is my daily driver and I still need to do more aero testing too (also because you can ALWAYS do better). I will update when I accomplish one of my goals and note the gains i get. Right now my goals are:
  • Gain aero efficiency
  • Gain gas mileage (right now im at about 38-42 mpg average)
  • Gain downforce with subtle changes keeping the car appearing stock-like
  • Celebrating with a cold one

lastexile

lastexile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX 2.0 I4 Mtx
Wow, thats a serious to-do list. I don't think I have heard of a dd with that many aero mods. I like that it is all functional and not for show. Keep us posted.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
  • Car: 1995 626 LX 2.0L Manual Swap
Nice list. I'll join you for the last one if you can get the rest done. :P

Art_Rapid

Art_Rapid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 1990 626 (US) 5sp Man.
Sounds like quite a project. Good Luck :smile:

Several thoughts on some of the mods you plan:

Lowering the suspension 2 inches can help handling and reduce aerodynamic drag. It can also produce tire and wheel bearing wear problems. Be careful how you apply this for street use.

You seem to be working in opposite directions at the same time regarding the aero changes and the desire for improving fuel economy. Improved downforce almost always means increased aero drag.

You may want to consider an aftermarket radiator to help with engine cooling. The original is durable but sensitive to reduced airflow. A racing type core may help there or adding an oil cooler. They made a difference when Team Highball ran the 626 in the RS challenge for the Johnson Brothers.

Quezz5

Quezz5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Ok, so far Ive been looking into suspensions that would hold the lowering that can accommodate what im aiming for. So far, just a stiffer, shorter spring is what im looking at with a tunable shock absorber.

As far as downforce AND drag, im going to approach this with a pro-stock mentality. (leverage on the spoiler instead of angle)

I have a friend that owns a radiator company that is going to make me a radiator, the problem is....his radiators keep the motor too cool and the motor wont warm up in the winter. We're thinking about how to keep maximum airflow while allowing the motor to get toasty.

So far, im still in the r&d stage but hopefully soon I will be done. Its looking to be nice so far! Im going to post a picture of the goal once i sketch it up.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
Sounds like you need either (A) dynamic system or (B) 2 different radiators. How you would make a radiator more/less efficient depending on your need I don't know. Somehow allow the coolant flow to be controlled by a rheostat. Similar to adjusting fan speeds in a PC. Simple fan controller would do for the rheostat. Not sure if water pumps allow that but you get the general idea. It's an idea I had for making a dynamic intake system depending on needs you could open more air inlets via butterfly valves controlled by an actuator and rheostat. Doubt I'll ever get around to doing it but hope that helps give you more ideas to work with.

Quezz5

Quezz5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Their radiators have a fan on them (same company that makes fans for Lamborghini , Ferrari,...etc) and we can attach it to a power switch so I can manually pull more air if i need. Were also going to try to angle the radiator forward and lower it.
The thought process is to make a more efficient nose and pull cold air from low, aim it up, and over the motor and exit on the rear of the plating by the firewall.
More updates as they happen! =]

Quezz5

Quezz5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
cai.jpg

So I felt the need to do SOMETHING during this time and made this....I still need to relocate the filter and minor changes but, It made a noticeable difference and it sounds soooo much better. I have an extra 1000 before I feel the motor nose over and its sporty rom 2400 to 5200 now. =]

Quezz5

Quezz5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Ok....I know its been a while but im out a job. Good new is....Im currently in the process of making the stock hood out of sheet metal on an english wheel so i can save weight. Im going to be adding slight cowling to it and possibly some louvres to pull hot air out of the engine compartment. I will later be adding bracing to keep the hood from bowing when I hit higher speeds.

djdevon3

djdevon3

Veteran

• 14,655 posts
ohhh take pics of the process please. I've never seen anyone make a custom hood out of sheet metal let alone one for a 626. Document the heck out of it please!

Quezz5

Quezz5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Haha. Right now its a 5x4 sheet of metal with blueprints on the thing. Once it starts taking shape Ill get some pics up. Im trying to make it look semi-sleeper but tons of cooling in the motor compartment. Might add a small inlet to feed the intake but i gotta find a way to keep debris out since its a dd

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
sweet! now this is a true DIY project!

Leev

Leev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts
  • Car: 89' 626 5 door GT - ATX to MTX
How the hell did I miss this thread.

Underbody plating? Custom hood?

Dood I love you!

Must see this custom radiator, I'm very interested.

Quezz5

Quezz5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
The underbody plating is probably gonna be really thin since the bottom of my car is generally flat anyways, its more to cover the tunnels and gaps for the frame type things. The hood....im excited about, im not sure what im going to do about heat transfer...maybe some thermal tape to keep the hood from getting hot to touch. The radiator is coming from one of my dear friend's radiator companies Be Cool. Im going to try to get a shorter radiator (make it look like an intercooler *evil laugh*) and have a late model stock car look with the front bumper with the radiator down low

lastexile

lastexile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX 2.0 I4 Mtx
Interesting, looking forward to see how this progresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users