6 replies to this topic

topman

topman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car: mazda 626, 1998
Hi

I have a Mazda 626, 2.0 litre, 1998 (newer shape).
I need to replace the alternator belt. It drives the alternator and water pump.

I cannot seem to get to the lower pivot bolt that holds the alternator to the engine.
Do you know what size spanner socket fits this bolt head?
Also, do you have to get under the car to loosen this bolt. Or can it be done from the top (ie under the bonnet), and if so did you access it from the drivers side or the passenger side.

Also, could you please send me the photos that you posted on the Mazda forum.

Thanks in advance,

ckwan

ckwan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Car: 1995 Mazda 626 LX I4 5 spd
Jack up the car high enough for you to lay under your 626, then you will find the pivot bolt goes through from L to R, on passenger side, under the alternator. Normally, an 14mm socket will do the work perfectly.

PS:
1. NEVER use floor jack only for jacking, jack stands are your good friends for safety on working under car.
2. If you found 14mm doesn't work, try 12mm.Posted Image

topman

topman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

To be honest, I was really trying to avoid getting under the car (I have a sloping drive), and was wandering if anyone had managed to loosen the bottom alternator pivot bolt by working from the top of the car. And if so, whether it was from the driver's side or the passenger side.

I think you are in the USA, but In the UK, the alternator is on the driver's side.

Thanks

Jack up the car high enough for you to lay under your 626, then you will find the pivot bolt goes through from L to R, on passenger side, under the alternator. Normally, an 14mm socket will do the work perfectly.

PS:
1. NEVER use floor jack only for jacking, jack stands are your good friends for safety on working under car.
2. If you found 14mm doesn't work, try 12mm.Posted Image

ckwan

ckwan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

To be honest, I was really trying to avoid getting under the car (I have a sloping drive), and was wandering if anyone had managed to loosen the bottom alternator pivot bolt by working from the top of the car. And if so, whether it was from the driver's side or the passenger side.

I think you are in the USA, but In the UK, the alternator is on the driver's side.

Thanks

Smart guess! I saw LHD 626s only in the USA, but as you said, in the UK, RHD 626s will have the opposite layout inside the engine compartment.

According to the sloping drive you mentioned, you may use wheel chock as well. FYI, parking brakes stop rear wheels.Posted Image

topman

topman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, just to update

The p/s (power steering) belt was bit of a nightmare to take off. Can't get a socket on the the locknut (the one facing the drivers side wheel). WD40'd it, and JUST (and i mean just) managed to get a ring spanner on it and hammered the spanner to loosen the lock nut, then the rest was relatively easy to get the p/s belt off.

Still have issue with loosening the bottom alternator pivot bolt.
Has anyone managed to loosen this bolt working from the top of the car?.

I don't want to be getting under the car.

Thanks

PS - the access on these cars is ridiculous, and EXTREMELY difficult.

ckwan

ckwan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Hi, just to update

The p/s (power steering) belt was bit of a nightmare to take off. Can't get a socket on the the locknut (the one facing the drivers side wheel). WD40'd it, and JUST (and i mean just) managed to get a ring spanner on it and hammered the spanner to loosen the lock nut, then the rest was relatively easy to get the p/s belt off.

Still have issue with loosening the bottom alternator pivot bolt.
Has anyone managed to loosen this bolt working from the top of the car?.

I don't want to be getting under the car.

Thanks

PS - the access on these cars is ridiculous, and EXTREMELY difficult.

Negative. You can't do that without going under. The intake manifold is in the way.Posted Image

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,741 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
Yes, I have managed from the top, on my Mazda P5, which is the same engine/transmission, in a chassis that is closely related.

I had to unbolt the cruise control module and unclip the evap canister, but once I did these two things, I had enough access to get at the alternator from the top.

Almost every bolt and nut on the car is a 12mm or 14mm. The really small ones are 8mm or 10mm, and the larger ones 15 or 17mm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users