• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Rije

Rije

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Car: 1999 Mazda 626 V6
I'm wanting to tackle my rear valve cover gaskets soon. I've tried removing all electrical connectors under my hood that is connected to the Intake Manifold, and half of them won't budge!

Are there any tips for helping me remove these? Last week, I tried removing my VRIS connectors, among others, and they're near impossible to get without breaking the clip!

Any suggestions?

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
just keep trying. there always a pain. some are ones u push in. and others are ones you pry on slightly if that makes sense. and dont forgot the hidden 12mm bolt on the back!

i just removed a intake mani off a 99 on sunday. took me about 40 minute's. not bad for being the 1st time ive ever pulled a KL mani while the motor is in the car.

626ofAll

626ofAll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Car: A Honderp :(
I can think of one thing I've done which helps get the connectors apart. I found that using a pair of small pliers CAREFULLY got some connectors apart that I couldn't get by hand. The emphasis being on carefully of course, but when I used the pliers it was quite effective.

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,740 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
They get dirt/dust between the male and female plugs; I use electrical contact cleaner to clean them off if they're stuck and that usually helps a lot. When you put them back together, use some dielectric grease on the mating faces of the male plug to help you out the next time.

I'd be very careful with pliers (which do work), because the plastic gets very brittle as it ages, both due to heat exposure, and degradation of the polymers.

Aside from the above, usually wiggling the connectors back and forth while pulling will eventually get them loose, you just need to be patient.

tjvjr

tjvjr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car: 96 MX6 V6 5 speed
as stated some pull and some push. the bad thing is the ones near heat do tend to crack and break so don't feel bad.

hant9925

hant9925

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 V6 LX 2.5 Stick Shift
Snailman is right (as usual !). Squirting some electrical connector fluid into those connector will help. I would also let it sit for a few hours. If you are working on your rear valve gaskets, take some photos of your process and post it on here. I am sure many people would appreciate the knowledge.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
i used a small flathead to help push in the connectors. seemed to help some when i was removing them. give that a try

tjvjr

tjvjr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car: 96 MX6 V6 5 speed
im going to be removing the motor and trans from my parts car tomorrow (94 v6 auto) , want me to take pics as i go? all that is removed now is the airbox.

hant9925

hant9925

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 V6 LX 2.5 Stick Shift
I think it would be useful for those owning a 94. Not too sure those owning 97 and newer would be any help. Nevertheless, I am sure it will be a great contribution to the forum from you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users