• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

fourby6l6

fourby6l6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 1997 Mazda 626
Hello, my name is Alex. I have been on here from time to time reading up on the 626. She overheated on me the other day. When she did, she got hot. The passenger side of the hoses were hot, and the drivers side of the hoses were cool. From reading the other overheating threads I deduced it was the thermostat. Took off the breather box to get to the thermostat housing. Pulled it out and put in the new one in the same direction. Put her back together. In the process broke the vacuum line,( figure it out later). Filled her back up with fluid via the radiator cap on the passengers side. Fired her up. Fluid leaking from the engine on the drivers side. Drove it around the block and she overheated again.

I want to know what you guys think. I have not taken the breather box off yet it was to dark for me to do so with a flashlight. Any ideas where it is coming from? Is it the thermostat? The steam is
coming from around the breather box thermostat housing area. Could I have cracked the block? Or could it be a bad water pump? the fluid leaks when she runs not when sitting. i hope the pictures help.

I know she is dirty. I haven't had time to clean her. I think it is from the valve cover gasket being bad, and the previous owner din't fix her. I am going to address it later. Any help would be great. I know there are other overheating threads and this one may seem overkill. Thank you for your help

Color of antifreeze on drivers side.jpg
Engine is dirty and gunky.jpg
Inside of thermostat housing.jpg
new thermostat placed in this direction.jpg
Steam comming from under air breather box.jpg
Attached File  VID00032201008241901_3GP.zip   328.96KB   72 downloads
Attached File  VID00033201008241916_3GP.zip   655.98KB   92 downloads

tjvjr

tjvjr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car: 96 MX6 V6 5 speed
as long as you tightened the thermostat housing up evenly it shouldn't have cracked anything. if however it did crack something its more than likely the housing. hope its a easy fix.

titanium1000

titanium1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car: 1998 626 V6 manual
I do not know know if I can help, but I have a 1998 Mazda 626 with the V6 in it with a manual transmission. I have had problems with the overflow bottle leaking when i first bought it, so I replaced the original overflow bottle with a used overflow bottle out of a 2002 Mazda 626. The used overflow bottle leaked after being in the car two months. I ended up buying a new overflow bottle and putting that in the car and this solved all of the leaking problems.

However the car overheats on this one steep hill I travel over. I really checked it out thoroughly and found the radiator cap on the engine (not the overflow bottle)had a tear in the rubber which would prevent a good seal. I replaced this cap with a new one and filled up the antifreeze completely. There are no leaks, so I will see if this solves the problem next time I make a long distance trip and travel over the steep hill that causes the car to overheat.

This car does not overheat in normal everyday driving.

Hope this helps...

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
your waterpump could also be bad. and its not unheard of for them to fail on the KL's. plus that would stop the water from circulating. which would make one side of your coolant pipes cold, and the other side hot

titanium1000

titanium1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My 1998 Mazda 626 with the V6 in it overheated on me when I was trying to solve the overflow bottle leaking problem. The overflow bottle was full, but the antifreeze inside of the engine block was down just a little. This caused the car to overheat. I filled it back up at the engine antifreeze fill cap and this solved the problem. This engine seems to be very sensitive to being pressurized with no leaks and the fluid must be completely full in the engine and the overflow bottle.

I did put on a new antifreeze overflow bottle so that is fixed. The car does not leak any antifreeze on the ground, but it did overheat on a steep hill. I found that the antifreeze cap on the engine had a tear in it, so I put on a new one. Now I will make sure the engine is completely full and the overflow bottle is completely full of antifreeze. My car does not overheat in normal everyday driving.

It could be another problem though...

titanium1000

titanium1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Update on my overheating problem. The old radiator cap on the engine had a tear in the rubber and I replaced it with a new one this week. I made sure it was filled full of antifreeze at the cap on the engine and the overflow bottle. I had previously replaced the overflow bottle with a new one a few months ago and this has a new cap on it also. The original overflow bottles in these Mazda 626's develop leaking problems. The original overflow bottle in my 1998 went bad and I replaced that one with a used overflow bottle out of a 2002 Mazda 626 that developed a leak two months after I put it in, so I finally put in a new overflow bottle which solved the problem.

I drove this car 100 miles recently and traveled up the steep hill that has made it overheat only recently. It did not overheat this time. I think it was the old radiator cap on the engine was not making a tight seal. I only noticed the rubber had torn on the old one this week, so I replaced it. It was good before when I had looked at it in the past. I should have just replaced both caps with new one's when I bought the car over a year ago...

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
SWEET! hopefully thats the last of those worries for you. glad you got it figured out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users