• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

a143gsxr

a143gsxr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car: 02 626 auto V6
I have a scantron tool and just bought an 02 V6 626 today. It has a CEL. I plugged the scantron in to the OBD II connection port and my scantron doesn't get power. I checked the tool on another car and it worked. I pulled the OBD II connector out of its mounting bracket and checked all the pins to ensure none were loose or backed out. any ideas would be appreciated. I hear some cars have a fuse specifically for this diagnostic port.

thanks

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX
How old's your scan tool? Your car might need CanBus capabilities...Most newer Fords have a separate fuse for the OBD connector, not sure about Mazda but your owners manual will tell you

tvaddict817

tvaddict817

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Car: 1997 5 speed V6
If you're in the US, Autozone will check codes for free. I would go up there and see if the scanner they have can check your car. If Autozone can check your codes properly, you'll know that there is an incompatibility with your scanner.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car: 2001 626 V6 Auto

I have a scantron tool and just bought an 02 V6 626 today. It has a CEL. I plugged the scantron in to the OBD II connection port and my scantron doesn't get power. I checked the tool on another car and it worked. I pulled the OBD II connector out of its mounting bracket and checked all the pins to ensure none were loose or backed out. any ideas would be appreciated. I hear some cars have a fuse specifically for this diagnostic port.

thanks

I have an 01 626, and just went to Autozone yesterday to have a code pulled for a check engine light. They plugged the scanner in underneath the drivers side dash, and I had to turn the key for auxilary power, but not start the engine.

a143gsxr

a143gsxr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Fellas, I'm hoping theres a separate fuse for the OBD II port connector. Tried two different scantron tools and neither would link. I believe any OBD II scantron tool should would on any OBD II car for reading codes. I'll update the thread when I isolate the problem.

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,741 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
There are multiple OBD-II protocols, and as someone mentioned, later models ('03+ I believe, but some mfrs adopted it later) started using the CAN bus protocol, which requires a CAN bus compliant scan tool to use.

I don't believe any 626 model ever used the CAN bus. I have a crappy/generic $40 scan tool I bought at Harbor Freight that can talk to the 626 (we had a '99).

a143gsxr

a143gsxr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

There are multiple OBD-II protocols, and as someone mentioned, later models ('03+ I believe, but some mfrs adopted it later) started using the CAN bus protocol, which requires a CAN bus compliant scan tool to use.

I don't believe any 626 model ever used the CAN bus. I have a crappy/generic $40 scan tool I bought at Harbor Freight that can talk to the 626 (we had a '99).

There was a fuse. The OBD connector shares power with the Room Fuse. which is the cruise control and dome lights.... Code P0400. EGR. I'm all set. thanks

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX
I think the P0400 is the most common code with our cars....time to remove the TB and clean out the ports!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users