• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Big_Al

Big_Al

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Car: 1999 mazda 626 6 cyl. auto trans
Hey guys/gals, I'm at my wits end here. All advice would be much appreciated. Heres the lowdown...
Ive got a 1999 Mazda 626, with a 2.5 liter 6 banger, ATX, with 166 k on it. My problem is, when I pull to a redlight, car idling, not overheating, it starts blowing coolant out of the reservoir overflow. It doesnt do it all the time, but it does it enough to piss you off seeing $12 flowing on the ground every other day. Now when it doesnt do it at a red light, it does it when I pull into the drive and turn off the ignition. It starts blowing antifreeze out the overflow with the car off, like its building steam pressure after shutdown. I need to blow off some steam now.
Ive been through the tranny rebuild already, replaced the water pump 2 mo. ago, and the thermostat/system flush this weekend. I know the coolant reservoir is bad to leak, but I find anywhere its leaking. I also replaced the cap on the reservoir, but not the engine itself.
If anyone has any ideas, or been down this road, please enlighten me. By the way, both radiator hoses are hot but they dont seem to have alot of pressure on them.
Could it being out of time a little cause this? A friend at work told me the timing could have something to do with it.
Thanks in advance for all replies/advice.

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,459 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 V6 2.5L 1999

Hey guys/gals, I'm at my wits end here. All advice would be much appreciated. Heres the lowdown...
Ive got a 1999 Mazda 626, with a 2.5 liter 6 banger, ATX, with 166 k on it. My problem is, when I pull to a redlight, car idling, not overheating, it starts blowing coolant out of the reservoir overflow. It doesnt do it all the time, but it does it enough to piss you off seeing $12 flowing on the ground every other day. Now when it doesnt do it at a red light, it does it when I pull into the drive and turn off the ignition. It starts blowing antifreeze out the overflow with the car off, like its building steam pressure after shutdown. I need to blow off some steam now.
Ive been through the tranny rebuild already, replaced the water pump 2 mo. ago, and the thermostat/system flush this weekend. I know the coolant reservoir is bad to leak, but I find anywhere its leaking. I also replaced the cap on the reservoir, but not the engine itself.
If anyone has any ideas, or been down this road, please enlighten me. By the way, both radiator hoses are hot but they dont seem to have alot of pressure on them.
Could it being out of time a little cause this? A friend at work told me the timing could have something to do with it.

Have you looked at the bottom of the reservoir? Thats where it ususally leaks with a big crack? Also if your heat cycling the engine alot. (heating it up super hot, and then putting in cold/warm coolant your looking for problems.

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX
Leaking coolant reservoir is a KNOWN problem with your year and guaranteed that's where your problem is!

Big_Al

Big_Al

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Have you looked at the bottom of the reservoir? Thats where it ususally leaks with a big crack? Also if your heat cycling the engine alot. (heating it up super hot, and then putting in cold/warm coolant your looking for problems.

Thanks Bro, the reservoir is the only thing ive not changed, so it looks like thats next. Heat cycling is something I never do. First of all, I wont let it heat up. I see the temp rising, its shut down. It gets expensive replacing head gaskets and heads due to worpage and cracks. If it were to heat up...she wouldnt get water until completly cool. I learned my lesson on that when I was 12 watching my uncle pour cold water into an overheated 350 v8. It cost him a new block, so yeah I know better, lol. New to Mazda's, not working on cars, lol.
Thanks again.

Big_Al

Big_Al

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Leaking coolant reservoir is a KNOWN problem with your year and guaranteed that's where your problem is!

Well, coolant reservoir, here I come, lol. I read on the forum somewhere that they were bad to crack, but I just didnt see where mine was cracked. It must be hairlined while cool and expand when hot...Ill take it out and check the rascal close today. I checked Auto Zone and theyve got 'em for $70, which is alot better than the dealers price.
Thanks for the input bro.

Big_Al

Big_Al

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Well, coolant reservoir, here I come, lol. I read on the forum somewhere that they were bad to crack, but I just didnt see where mine was cracked. It must be hairlined while cool and expand when hot...Ill take it out and check the rascal close today. I checked Auto Zone and theyve got 'em for $70, which is alot better than the dealers price.
Thanks for the input bro.

Well guys, I changed the reservoir and its pumping all my water into the reservoir, and spilling out the overflow. No change from before. Headgasket maybe? Its not blowing smoke, or mixing oil with water. Maybe leaking into the intake side of the head? But would that not cause a major miss? Foul a plug? Or possibly the radiator not circulating right? Its loosing pressure somewhere because the system isnt pressurized at all and its causing the water to boil at a lower temp, making alot of steam and pushing the water into the reservoir. But the pressure loss isnt showing as far as leaking (other than blowing out the reservoir.) Im about to get a sledge hammer and take too it, lol. It really ticks me off to pour money into something and still not fix it.
Any replies would be much appreciated

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,777 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
Are you sure that the reservoir is plumbed in correctly? Several of the hoses are the same size and will reach the wrong port, etc.

If that's not it, you have a leak somewhere. If you're questioning the head gaskets, it's time for a compression test.

Big_Al

Big_Al

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Are you sure that the reservoir is plumbed in correctly? Several of the hoses are the same size and will reach the wrong port, etc.

If that's not it, you have a leak somewhere. If you're questioning the head gaskets, it's time for a compression test.

Took the reservoir out today just to make sure, everything is in order and connected properly.
It has a miss when I first put it in gear but lines out after 2nd gear. It needs a tune up so I was blaming that on possible fuel filter, plugs, wires ect. Just to ease my mind, Im doing a compression check this weekend. Also going to try and get an eye on the freeze out plugs. thats the one thing I never thought about until I was reading the haynes manual. Possible, but it should be showing somewhere if the pressure loss is external.

Appreciate it snailman.

cbwallace

cbwallace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Car: 1999 626 LX Auto

Took the reservoir out today just to make sure, everything is in order and connected properly.
It has a miss when I first put it in gear but lines out after 2nd gear. It needs a tune up so I was blaming that on possible fuel filter, plugs, wires ect. Just to ease my mind, Im doing a compression check this weekend. Also going to try and get an eye on the freeze out plugs. thats the one thing I never thought about until I was reading the haynes manual. Possible, but it should be showing somewhere if the pressure loss is external.

Appreciate it snailman.

Are you sure your radiator is good? I had a similar problem myself and recently heard from a buddy with a 2.5 that found the same thing - building temp and overflowing but everything seemed OK. I did water pump, new rad caps, thermostat, drained the rad and put in new coolant to no avail. I eventually got a temperature probe and realized that my radiator was either blocked or cracked inside as there was almost no temperature differential across it. New radiator = problem solved.

Leev

Leev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,058 posts
  • Car: 89' 626 5 door GT - ATX to MTX
would having the wrong rad cap, (lower psi rating) be cause the overflow? if its the wrong psi would it open early and cause back flow?

just an idea i had, wanted to share.

Big_Al

Big_Al

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Appreciate it snailman.

Are you sure your radiator is good? I had a similar problem myself and recently heard from a buddy with a 2.5 that found the same thing - building temp and overflowing but everything seemed OK. I did water pump, new rad caps, thermostat, drained the rad and put in new coolant to no avail. I eventually got a temperature probe and realized that my radiator was either blocked or cracked inside as there was almost no temperature differential across it. New radiator = problem solved.

That very well could be my problem. Ive replace both caps, reservoir, water pump (which was bad) thermostat, done a complete system flush, and now a compression check for the head gasket which checked fine. the only thing I havnt done, that I can think of, is change out the radiator.
Thanks for the info bro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users