• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

HyperFox

HyperFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Car: 1999 Mazda 626 Lx 2.0 MTX
Im not sure if this is a repost but it looks like my previous one didnt get posted. Or If it did, god knows where it went.

I have a 99 626lx 2.0l with the 5 spd manual. It has 240,000kms.

A few weeks ago, I noticed my drivers side CV boot was torn and the joint itself was beginning to get noisy. So I go off to my local mazda dealership for an axle replacement.

Now a few weeks later I notice a puddle of gear oi (transparent, honey colored, smell like gear oil that you would put in an outboard like 80w-90) l on the ground under my car, so out comes the trusty old flashlight, and I think I have found the source. It seems to be leaking from where the axle plugs into the transmission, on the driver's side and is being sprayed around the engine compartment and everywhere else by the spinning axle.

Im wondering if there is a seal that somehow could have gotten damaged by the install of the new axle, or if it simply wasnt tightened enough or something, before taking it back to the dealer for a re-do.

Thanks very much for viewing and any help in advance!

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX
Yes, sounds like a leaking seal which probably should have been replaced when the axle was done!

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
In the future. Please just make one post. Just so things dont get repetitive and clutered. Thank you.

HyperFox

HyperFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

In the future. Please just make one post. Just so things dont get repetitive and clutered. Thank you.

Sorry about that. Im new. :)

I read on the other post from you guys that this part commonly fails during replacement. Thats no big then. I dont have to make heads at the dealership roll. My next question is, how do I top up the transmission fluid so I can limp the car to the dealership? I see many bolts around the casing, but im not sure which one is the fill for it. And what should I refill it with? 80w90? Atf?

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX
Grade GL-4 or GL-5 (75W90 or 80W90) see attached for fill plug.

HyperFox

HyperFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ahhh.. I suspected that might be it.

Just for clarity, that arrow is pointing to the big bolt right?

Posted Image

Logic would imply it would be the big bolt as you kinda have to stick your finger in to check the level, but Ive been wrong before and dont want to make this worse!

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,825 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
Yes, the big bolt. There's a similar big bolt for draining on the bottom.

BOARDMAKER

BOARDMAKER

• Premium Member
  • 66 posts
  • Car: 1995,glx,1991cc,manual

I have just replaced the gearbox/diff oil on my mtx,the fill/level bolt was same big bolt,but the only drain bolt i could find was a small 12mm size with a wasted shank above the thread,this worried me as i could not understand why this type of bolt is used on the uk models.
The wasted part is not magnetic either,and this bolt in on the lowest point next to the end cover,but on the main housing.

HyperFox

HyperFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Thanks for confirming. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)