7 replies to this topic

bchiu

bchiu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Car: 1997, 626 DX, I4, auto
Hi all,

My car is squealing very bad. I can't find the culprit.

Does it sound like the belt or the pulley?

I am using GoodYear Gatorback for the both belt. If I need to change the belt, which brand would you recommend and where can I get them?

Regards,
Brian

norbs

norbs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car: 1999 Mazda 626 LX 2.0L 4Cyl
Sound like your main serpentine belt is just lose.

Raziel

Raziel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Car: 1997, 626 LX, 2.0L, Auto
Check both belts for looseness. That's what it sound like.

bchiu

bchiu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Car: 1997, 626 DX, I4, auto

Sound like your main serpentine belt is just lose.

do you mean the main belt as in the alternater belt or the p/s belt?

TIA,

myopio

myopio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: Mazda, 626 4 cylinder, automatic
My 1999 Mazda 626 is having similar issues. My alternator belt disintegrated this summer, which made my engine really heat up and everything seized. Had to put a new battery in it, and replaced the alternator belt. Squeaking went away until the cold months came back. Now, in addition to the squealing which happens intermittently on colder days, there seems to be a hesitation in accelerating. I am noticing the rpm gauge goes up higher when I am pressing on the gas than usual, and after 2 or 3rd gear, it balances out. It also seems like I have to really push to brake. A few times, the emergency brake light has come on when I've come to a fast stop. NOt sure if I should replace the belts again- heard that Mazda belts are better. I think this new one is an auto zone belt. I am afraid it is the trans. Would anyone recommend a transmission flush?

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,690 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
Do your brakes work better if you pump them a few times first? If so, you may need to bleed your brakes. The light coming on means you are low on brake fluid.

You should also check for any brake fluid leaks at each caliper/wheel cylinder, and at the master cylinder.

As for the belt, you simply need to tighten it a little, it's too loose.

As for the transmission slipping...well, there's not much you can do aside from making sure the fluid is at the right level, and crossing your fingers that it will hold up.

mj_4ever05

mj_4ever05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 2000 mazda 626 automatic 4 banger
hey guys, new to this forum. was reading this topic. had the same issue for less then a year. went through 4 blets for the alternator. and i i went through 2 alternators. and i found what the issues...... the alternator. the bearings that are going bad. if you put a volt meter to your battery, maybe your volts will be low. try it out. thats what fix my problem. and if you do get a alternator, get it at autozone or kragen it has lifetime warranty. those bearing will go out.

rs626

rs626

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Car: 1996 626 2L auto
"As for the transmission slipping...well, there's not much you can do aside from making sure the fluid is at the right level, and crossing your fingers that it will hold up."

Try some "Lucas Oil Transmission Fix" for 17 bux a bottle it's worth a shot and it's supposed to fix transmission slips and "hunting" gears immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users