• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

bigrevkev

bigrevkev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Car: 2001, 626, 2L, manual
I have a problem with the A/C on my 2001 626. My mechanic did some diagnosis today & determined that at startup, the high and low pressure sides of the system are OK, but once the engine rises to normal operating temperature, the low pressure side goes to vacuum.

They suggested 2 possible causes:
1) Header plate in the compressor is worn or faulty
2) Faulty Tx valve

Can anyone suggest any ways to test these to try and determine which is the most likely cause?

If there is no easy way to test, does anyone know of a history of either of these failing (i.e. which do people think is the more likely cause)? I've owned the vehicle since new, and the only time the A/C has been worked on was 2 months ago when it was re-gassed.

Otherwise Murphys Law will mean whichever one we decide to try fixing first will be the wrong one http://www.mazda626....tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif

thanks!

Tranquility

Tranquility

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Car: 1997 626
I'm not an expert, but my money is on the Thermal Exansion (Tx) valve being partially clogged. For the compressor to pull a vacuum, it has to be in good shape and there has to be an obstruction in the system. Wrong time of year, but does the Evaporator cool? What is the high side pressure. With a clogged Tx valve, high side pressures will be high unless the freon charge is low. I don't know where the Tx valve is located right off hand, but I would go after it first. Sincerely, Mr. Murphy http://www.mazda626....tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,800 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
The '98+ 626 uses an orifice tube, not an expansion valve IIRC.

Honestly, it sounds to me more like there simply isn't enough refirgerant in the system.

bigrevkev

bigrevkev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Car: 2001, 626, 2L, manual

For the compressor to pull a vacuum, it has to be in good shape and there has to be an obstruction in the system.

My mechanic & I independently came to the same conclusion as well. The Tx valve was replaced yesterday, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Of course, the Australian summer has now decided to be unseasonally cool, so I'll be interested to see how it behaves come the next heatwave - but it is already a marked improvement.

I hope this info will be of help to others. Thanks for the replies!

ZoomOn

ZoomOn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626 LX 2.0L Auto

The '98+ 626 uses an orifice tube, not an expansion valve IIRC.

Honestly, it sounds to me more like there simply isn't enough refirgerant in the system.

Does anyone know where the orifice tube is located in a 98 626 LX w/2.0L? Is it in the evaporator (under the dash) or in the high pressure line by the shock tower (or somewhere else??)?

I suspect I have a similar problem and I'm hoping I don't have to tear into the dash... fingers crossed.

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX
It's in the small cooler pipe (between the accumalator tank and the compressor)

hant9925

hant9925

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Car: 2000 626 V6 LX 2.5 Stick Shift
Just curious if anyone has tried Interdynamics refrigerant. I read in a thread here that the quick release adapters doesn't fit Mazdas

ZoomOn

ZoomOn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Car: 1998 Mazda 626 LX 2.0L Auto

It's in the small cooler pipe (between the accumalator tank and the compressor)

Great!... I don't have to tear the dash apart which should make this repair much easier.

Thanks for the info.

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,800 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX
You shouldn't need adapters, as your car is already R134a stock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users