• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

cycluv

cycluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Car: 2000 Mazda 626 V6 auto
Newbie here! Just bought a 2000 Mazda 626 ES-V6! Sold my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. So from one forum to another Posted Image

Before I bought the car, the previous owner just had Merchant's Tire replace the front CV Axles (remanufactured). I am now noticing a vibration when accelerating b/w 21-25 mph. It is especially noticeable when turning left. The new axles have less than 1000 miles on them.

I read through another thread relating to this topic. In that thread ( http://www.mazda626....on/page__st__15 ), there was mention that the wrong part may have been installed, 'double offset joint' vs. "triple joint' .

I checked the Merchant's receipt and it does not give part number, just description and an identifier, "remanu".

Is there a way I can visibly check without taking the CV axle off to make sure the right part was installed?

Any help would be appreciated.

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,653 posts
  • Car: 1988 626 GT ----- 1995 MX-6 LS
I installed remanufactured CV axles as well and at the exact same miles per hour, my car vibrates terribly. I blamed it on the axles being remanufactured. Most people recommend buying new ones.

I suspect we both have the wrong ones...

cycluv

cycluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I installed remanufactured CV axles as well and at the exact same miles per hour, my car vibrates terribly. I blamed it on the axles being remanufactured. Most people recommend buying new ones.

I suspect we both have the wrong ones...

From my research, you can't get new ones. In the thread I cited, someone pointed to www.raxles.com . I sent them an email asking for a quote. Looks like a better option than reman'd axles.

How long has yours been doing this? Affecting any other components?

cycluv

cycluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I just got off the phone with www.raxles.com. They quoted me $169.95 per axle. It would be $129.95 per axle if you had the originals to send back to him. He said the reman'd axles were cheap, Chinese-made. I asked if it is Ok to still drive the car. He said it was and that I'll know when they should be replaced because the vibration would get more intense.

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX

I just got off the phone with www.raxles.com. They quoted me $169.95 per axle. It would be $129.95 per axle if you had the originals to send back to him. He said the reman'd axles were cheap, Chinese-made. I asked if it is Ok to still drive the car. He said it was and that I'll know when they should be replaced because the vibration would get more intense.

Pretty expensive since RockAuto.com lists yours new for $50.79 ! Autozone lists them new for $59.99.

cycluv

cycluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Pretty expensive since RockAuto.com lists yours new for $50.79 ! Autozone lists them new for $59.99.

Interesting. I think I read in another thread that you can't get these axles new anymore. Doesn't specify MTX or ATX on RockAuto.com. There is a difference, right? If these are new, then that is an excellent price! Anyone have experience with CARDONE parts?

XeNoMoRpH

XeNoMoRpH

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 5,653 posts
  • Car: 1988 626 GT ----- 1995 MX-6 LS
I read in the same thread you can't get them new which doesn't make any sense. I have a friend that works at Bumper to Bumper and he can get new ones really cheap. I'm going to try those out, of course that's if they are the correct ones. At the least, I don't want remanufactured axles because they are crap.

cycluv

cycluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I read in the same thread you can't get them new which doesn't make any sense. I have a friend that works at Bumper to Bumper and he can get new ones really cheap. I'm going to try those out, of course that's if they are the correct ones. At the least, I don't want remanufactured axles because they are crap.

Found CARDONE site:
http://www.cardone.c...ect/default.asp
Looks like they reverse engineer and make the parts themselves. If I can find out if no difference b/w ATX or MTX, I'll give them a try.

Jimbo626

Jimbo626

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Car: 1999 mazda 626 LX, 6cyl, 2.5
I feel your pain, mine vibrates in the mid 20mph and again at 75mph. Also it seems as if when there's any extra torque on the engine it happens more. When I accelerate from a stop sign and have an incline to climb at 35-40mph. I've changed tires, rotors, axles, brakes, and struts, so whats next. The other post referring to double or triple something axles. How can you tell?

cycluv

cycluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I feel your pain, mine vibrates in the mid 20mph and again at 75mph. Also it seems as if when there's any extra torque on the engine it happens more. When I accelerate from a stop sign and have an incline to climb at 35-40mph. I've changed tires, rotors, axles, brakes, and struts, so whats next. The other post referring to double or triple something axles. How can you tell?

I went to a local mechanic, not a parts changer (Merchants Tire). He actually took it for a test drive to see if the issue truly is my axle.

He showed me a neat trick. He lifted the car in the air, put a metal trash can under the right tire and lowered the lift essentially pinning the right wheel to the trash can. He started the car and pressed the gas pedal. The left wheel is now spinning. We checked to see if there was any vibration. None. We switched sides and did the exact same thing. Now the right wheel was spinning. The axle and wheel started vibrating, violently shaking the front bumper and hood. Up to this point, I have been guessing that the axles were causing the problem. Our tests prove that the passenger axle was defective. I found a new axle at Autozone and will be getting it installed this week.

brian passarelli

brian passarelli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Car: 1993 Lexus ES 300 5-spd Manual
seriously, dont mess aroudn with your time and effort, get good ones,
raxles.com is only place i'd buy them and they are not even expenive and they are super high quality

cycluv

cycluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I went to a local mechanic, not a parts changer (Merchants Tire). He actually took it for a test drive to see if the issue truly is my axle.

He showed me a neat trick. He lifted the car in the air, put a metal trash can under the right tire and lowered the lift essentially pinning the right wheel to the trash can. He started the car and pressed the gas pedal. The left wheel is now spinning. We checked to see if there was any vibration. None. We switched sides and did the exact same thing. Now the right wheel was spinning. The axle and wheel started vibrating, violently shaking the front bumper and hood. Up to this point, I have been guessing that the axles were causing the problem. Our tests prove that the passenger axle was defective. I found a new axle at Autozone and will be getting it installed this week.

OK, I had a new passenger side axle put in (Autozone brand - brand new but still made in China) last week. I hate to say this, but the vibration is still there, albeit not as intense as before. Barely noticeable, but still present. I also had the tires rotated and balanced and an alignment done.

I may take it back to the mechanic to troubleshoot, but he will probably say that it is a cheap part and sorry. Ultimately, I am just going to deal with it and save up for a RAXLE. Based on the comments on this forum and the testimonials, that would be the best thing to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users