Don't Get The Delux Car Wash At Sheetz

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,961 posts
  • Car: 06 MS6 GT, 03 P5 KLZE swap (ish)
I just got my car washed tonight for the first time since I've had it... Hey, it was only a year and it wasn't too dirty.

Anyway, my mom always washes her car at Sheetz, so I decided to go there, too. She always gets the cheap-o 5$ wash, and I saw the next one was only 6$ and it had some fancy Armorall stuff, so I got that. It also gives you time in the super air blower to dry your car.

Well, it's probably nice in a new car, but it blew the weather strip seal thing out from around my back window. I don't know what it's called, but it looks like it was supposed to seal to keep water from getting inside. Needless to say I was pissed.

Apparently it has a sign posted that says "enter at your own risk" but I didn't see that, seeing how it was night time. The lady inside was really nice and filed a report and sent it to corporate, but they might not do anything.

I'm not sure if this is easily fixable, or if it will even be a problem. I just wanted to warn you guys and save someone else a headache.

OhSchnapps

OhSchnapps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Car: 2001, 626 ES, 2.0L, Automatic
it should glue right back on, but yes that is a pain in the ass.

General tip for car washes: if you go to a car wash, just get the regular wash, and go home and wax it yourself. Don't get the wax there, because it sprays on your ENTIRE car, including your WINSHIELD, your plastic parts, your tire treads, etc. But most importantly, your windshield. If there's wax on your windshield, it messes up the wipeability, and water tends to smear and make everything blurry.

mrslcom

mrslcom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Car: 98 LX-V6 auto
Good wax cannot be sprayed on, it has to be rubbed on either by hand or with a buffer.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,599 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
i know around here, they have to cover anything that is OEM that breaks or falls off. the only thing they legally dont have to cover is aftermarket stuff that was installed. id check around and see.

pr0ximity

pr0ximity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Car: 1997,626,2.5L V6, maunal
Next time pick up yourself some Turtle Wax Ice.. with some elbow grease and a lot of buffing, it makes the car look a million bucks!

OhSchnapps

OhSchnapps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Car: 2001, 626 ES, 2.0L, Automatic

Good wax cannot be sprayed on, it has to be rubbed on either by hand or with a buffer.

I know that, but the car wash's hot spray wax still sticks to your windows and messes them up.

NDM

NDM

• Admin
  • 2,464 posts
  • Car: Mazda 626 V6 2.5L 1999
Weather stripping can be repaird with butyl rubber tape easily as a temporary solution that will hold a few more years, but in the long run you will most likely need to replace the stripping, it was probably getting warn out and the carwash was just the last straw. I've taken my car through drive through car washes plenty of times and its always a nice quick way to get my mazda626 scrubbed up. But it surely dosent replace a full scrub down manually in the front yard.

PrinceValorum

PrinceValorum

Veteran

• 6,961 posts
  • Car: 06 MS6 GT, 03 P5 KLZE swap (ish)
Wow, I posted this and then forgot about it. It's been a while.

It turned out that it was only the cosmetic chrome thing around the window that was blown off, and the window still seals. It was late that night and dark in the lot, so I didn't get to look at it very well.

It wasn't a wax in the wash, it was Armor All something that supposedly protects your paint. I know my mechanic said he gets it about every third wash at a different place and it's kept his truck looking like new.

Thanks for all of the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users