10 replies to this topic

dip2005

dip2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Car: 2001,626 lx, v6, auto
Hi,

My 2001 mazda 626 lx-v6 makes a loud grinding noise in park as I completely turn the steering wheel right or left after. This loud grinding noise happens when the car is turned on and in park. Why is this so? What parts need to be replaced?

Also, when I turn into streets a pop sound happens when turning left or right. Is this related to the loud grinding noise?

One more thing, where is the location of the thermostat and how do I replace it?

Thank you.

monkihead

monkihead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Car: 1997 626 2.5L v6 auto
Loud grinding sounds like you may have a power steering pump going bad. Check your power steering resivoir for proper fluid level.
The pop sound while driving sounds like a cv axle with a busted boot.

dip2005

dip2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Loud grinding sounds like you may have a power steering pump going bad. Check your power steering resivoir for proper fluid level.

thanks.. the grinding noise occurs when the car is turned on after its parked outside in the snow , rain or cold..

Also, I turned it on today.. and there is an extreme cold weather alert.. the engine made a squeeling noise and then as it warmed up the noise went away.. but there was a minor rattling noise occuring when the car was warmed up... what is the cause of this too??

thanks

NickR

NickR

• Premium Member
  • 3,428 posts
  • Car: 2000 LX V6 mtx
Welcome to the board!

monkihead might be right, and I would certainly follow his advice to first check power steering fluid, and for split rubber boots on the CV joints on the axles. But my guess would be a bad ball joint, which is potentially more dangerous. If you cannot check the ball joint yourself, I would take it to an alignment shop and ask them to check the front end, especially balljoints, for play.

monkihead

monkihead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

thanks.. the grinding noise occurs when the car is turned on after its parked outside in the snow , rain or cold..

Also, I turned it on today.. and there is an extreme cold weather alert.. the engine made a squeeling noise and then as it warmed up the noise went away.. but there was a minor rattling noise occuring when the car was warmed up... what is the cause of this too??

thanks

The squeeling could be from a worn belt or loose tensioner. The rattling (in the cold weather) could be the lifters. Check your oil and make sure your running a thin oil for start up. (ie- 20w-40 or 20w-50). It sounds like car has few issues like mine did. Does it leak any fluids? mileage? What was the last major item replaced?

dip2005

dip2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

thanks

The squeeling could be from a worn belt or loose tensioner. The rattling (in the cold weather) could be the lifters. Check your oil and make sure your running a thin oil for start up. (ie- 20w-40 or 20w-50). It sounds like car has few issues like mine did. Does it leak any fluids? mileage? What was the last major item replaced?

the last major item replaced was the engine. the mechanic changed the spark plugs and it's wires too. he said the car will last me for another 10 years. it has 138,000k on it.

monkihead

monkihead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

thanks

the last major item replaced was the engine. the mechanic changed the spark plugs and it's wires too. he said the car will last me for another 10 years. it has 138,000k on it.

Did the mechanic replace the belts? Its a bad way to cut costs, but some do. Check the serpentine
belt for any cracks or worn grooves.

As for the rattling, it only does it when cold? Is it after the car has been sitting for more than 4 hours(not running)?

dip2005

dip2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

thanks

Did the mechanic replace the belts? Its a bad way to cut costs, but some do. Check the serpentine
belt for any cracks or worn grooves.

As for the rattling, it only does it when cold? Is it after the car has been sitting for more than 4 hours(not running)?

Yes, it occurs after the car has been sitting for several hours. I replaced my thermostat and the heater was working really good after it was installed, the car was boiling inside! However, I tried running the heater today and it was blowing out cold air. I'll try to put more coolant in tomorrow. This car is really getting on my nerves! The original engine was beautiful before it gave up because no one maintained it. I think the mechanic I bought the engine from, ripped me off.

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX

thanks

No, no, no....20W40, 20W50??? How about 5W30 in the winter, 10W30 summer!!

dip2005

dip2005

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

thanks

No, no, no....20W40, 20W50??? How about 5W30 in the winter, 10W30 summer!!

Hmm.. I normally put in 10w30 Castrol GTX.. don't know about the others one mentioned. My a/c hasn't worked for more than 4 years, because it hasn't worked for 4 years, can it also affect the heater? I get good heat only when I run the heater with circulation also selected.

hominid7

hominid7

• Premium Member
  • 220 posts
  • Car: 2001 626 ES-V6 ATX:White w/Tan Leather
As for the steering grind when you turn the wheel lock to lock, you may try some new power steering fluid as a temporary fix. I use the turkey baster method for removing old, refilling, turn on car, move wheel around, repeat. You can repeat this process about 3 times to get about 75% new fluid (or something close to that).

My 2001 uses ATF for power steering fluid. I replaced mine with Pennzoil multi purpose ATF that meets Mercon V.

If when turning into the street you hear a single loud bang it's likely your front ball joints need replacing. If you hear a continuous ratcheting sound then i would suspect a CV joint. If its a slow rubbing sound it may (as others suggested) be torn CV joint boots. If it ends up being a bas steering rack that needs replacing it can be very expensive.

Your 2001 has solid lifters (so to speak) instead of hydro lifters. The correct viscosity oil for the 2001 V6 would be 10w30 at temps
above -12*F or 5w30 at temps below 98*F, according to Mazda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users