• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

utukku

utukku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car: 1996, 626, automatic
So I've got a 1996 626, 4 cylinder, and it had been running fine since I bought it a little over a year ago, but now I was driving on the highway when the car starting smoking like crazy. I pull it over to find transmission fluid is just soaked all over the undercarriage, it seems to be leaking from somewhere. I tried to put some stopleak in it, thinking it was maybe something that had been going on for a while, only to watch it pour right back out the undercarriage thirty seconds later.

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to cars, but I do try my best. Upon a quick inspection of me just looking at it from under the car, I don't see anywhere where it could be leaking from, but at the same time I am having trouble finding a source photo of what the transaxle should look like when it's new. My Haynes manual only has certain shots, you know.

Would anyone know what that might sound like to them? I can take stuff apart and put it together, and I can work with direction easily, but as it is now I'm just blindly looking at it from as many angels as I can going "wtf?"

any help would be mega appreciated!

97Mazda

97Mazda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Car: 1997 626ES 2.5L V6 ATX
You'll have to clean everything off underneath (brake cleaner works well), fill it up and try and pinpoint the leak. Could be a seal, O-ring, plug, gasket or one of the cooler hoses. For it to be leaking as bad as you say, I'd suspect either one of the main seals (there is a TSB #K00696 on the bell housing/torque converter hub seal) or a cooler line/hose.

Raziel

Raziel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Car: 1997, 626 LX, 2.0L, Auto
As 97Mazda said, clean everything first & fill it with fluid. Start the vehicle & check at idle & in gear (ether have a friend hold the brake while in gear or use the E-Brake to keep it from moving) & see if anything is leaking out. If not I would driving it a bit & then check for any signs of leaking.

It could be a number of things, so you want to get it as clean as possible to see where it is coming from. You have seals, hoses, gaskets, even the bottom of the funnel for the dip stick could be it.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,590 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
is your car a auto, or manual trans?

more then 75% of the time if you have a trans leak, its the axle seal's. and there like $6 bux. just time consuming pulling the axles to replace them. but still a very easy job, even for a beginner.

capthootie

capthootie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 2001, 626, 4 cyl, auto
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but am having this same issue as well. In my case it's a 2 part problem. The first part was a rotted transmission line. That was a fairly simple repair. Next up, however, both output shaft seals are leaking. I was under the vehicle with a mechanic and saw the obvious leaks, but he claims the tranny needs to be dropped out and the seals need to be changed from the inside. Huh?! Is there any truth to that or is it as simple as pulling the shafts and replacing the seals (as logic would dictate)?

Thanks!
Lorne

snailman153624

snailman153624

Mazda 626.net

• Admin
  • 15,690 posts
  • Car: '03 P5 MTX

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but am having this same issue as well. In my case it's a 2 part problem. The first part was a rotted transmission line. That was a fairly simple repair. Next up, however, both output shaft seals are leaking. I was under the vehicle with a mechanic and saw the obvious leaks, but he claims the tranny needs to be dropped out and the seals need to be changed from the inside. Huh?! Is there any truth to that or is it as simple as pulling the shafts and replacing the seals (as logic would dictate)?

Thanks!
Lorne

There is a bushing inside the transmission that requires a tear-down, but the seals, as you stated, pop right out when you simply remove the axles.

In any event, in this case, my money is on the trans cooler [rubber] hoses.

MonoxideChild

MonoxideChild

Veteran

• 6,590 posts
  • Car: you name it, i own it...
stay away from that mechanic. all you need to do is pull the axle's, and the seals pry right out. then tap the new one's in. hardest part is filling the tran's. lol.

capthootie

capthootie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car: 2001, 626, 4 cyl, auto
Thanks guys, that's how I figured it. The guy quoted me $1100... For seals?! I've heard of some bizarre things, but I think in this case the mechanic just needs to put the crack pipe down! lol As for the rotted hose, warmer weather will bring complete rubber hose runs. Meanwhile, I ended up splicing a section of hose in the line.

Thanks again!
Lorne

TR_car_nut

TR_car_nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Car: None currently
Sounds like a cooling line if it's leaking that fast. Check the rear main seal, the seals at the axle shafts (two of them), and lastly the seal on the bottom of the transmission which is a round metal plate that has a clip holding it to the transmission (should never leak from here unless someone has put some foreign substance in the trans.).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users